+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My IEC open work permit is due to expire before I have heard the result of my PR application

SophieGraham

Feb 2, 2018
Hello All!

Please help a very confused Brit!

I am currently in Vancouver on a 2 year IEC open work permit and I am working full time in the same job.
My work permit expires on March 14th and I haven't heard the result of my PR application through CEC route yet.

Do I need to apply for an open work permit extension to cover this or am I covered by 'implied status'? My understanding is that it is just my temporary SIN that becomes invalid after my IEC permit expires but as I am in the same employment can I just continue working on this contract until I hear about my PR?

Thanks in advance

Sophie

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your PR application does not give you automatic implied status. You must apply for a bridge open work permit before your work permit expires in order to continue working.

SophieGraham

Feb 2, 2018
OK. Thank you. Is there any possibility of the bridging taking too long and I will have to stop working?

Or does the application for bridging allow me to continue to work?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions

Sophie

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As long as you apply for this BOWP you can continue working even if you do not receive it before your current permit expires.

Sulwyn

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
Chances are your open work permit application won't come through in time and you'll have to stop working. Before you even apply for the open work permit though, it's important to know if you applied inland or outland. If inland then you can apply for an open work permit and expect it to come through in 3-4 months. If outland, then you cannot apply for an open work permit.

SophieGraham

Feb 2, 2018
Chances are your open work permit application won't come through in time and you'll have to stop working. Before you even apply for the open work permit though, it's important to know if you applied inland or outland. If inland then you can apply for an open work permit and expect it to come through in 3-4 months. If outland, then you cannot apply for an open work permit.
I applied whilst in Vancouver, is that what you mean?

fireal.jon

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Kelowna, BC
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-08-2017
AOR Received.
15-08-2017
Med's Done....
14-09-2016
Passport Req..
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2017
LANDED..........
02-12-2017
Apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) 2-3 weeks before your IEC expires. If you have that application in progress you will then be on implied status. If you get lucky, your PR will come through before the BOWP application is processed and you can get the fee's refunded.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
OK. Thank you. Is there any possibility of the bridging taking too long and I will have to stop working?

Or does the application for bridging allow me to continue to work?
By a technicality, IEC permits are not "extendable," which means - if you apply for the BOWP before your current permit expires, you can remain in Canada as a visitor under implied status, but you would have to stop working when your old permit expires, and wait until you receive the BOWP before you could resume working. So apply ASAP : ) You would keep your SIN - it will change only when you become a PR.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
By a technicality, IEC permits are not "extendable," which means - if you apply for the BOWP before your current permit expires, you can remain in Canada as a visitor under implied status, but you would have to stop working when your old permit expires, and wait until you receive the BOWP before you could resume working. So apply ASAP : ) You would keep your SIN - it will change only when you become a PR.
I applied whilst in Vancouver, is that what you mean?
Hi Sophie,
A note of caution on what you have been told regarding your situation. I was told similar conflicting information regarding the not being eligible to work after your IEC has ended and whilst you wait for the outcome of your BOWP.

I rang IRCC 4 times and got the same answer from four different staff and/or supervisors who looked in some detail at my applications inside My CIC account , that as I had applied for PR from INSIDE Canada and intended to remain in Canada until my PR application had been processed, together with the csubmitted BOWP application prior to the date of expiry of my IEC visa, I had implied status and could also work whilst the BOWP was being processed.

The difficulty appears to be that as you rightly say, the SIN issued under IEC expires on the same date, however, if you wish to work for an old/current employer who already holds that SIN, it should be easier to use.

Please consider remaining in Canada as being 'inland' is an important aspect.

I received my 'Ready for Visa' PPR and confirmation of BOWP 55 days after application with no additional questions required and a very extensive travel history and received my CoPR in late January.

HTH and Good Luck

fireal.jon

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Kelowna, BC
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-08-2017
AOR Received.
15-08-2017
Med's Done....
14-09-2016
Passport Req..
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2017
LANDED..........
02-12-2017
That’s very interesting. I was not aware of this issue when I did my PR. My wife and I both worked for probably 2 months on what we presumed was ‘implied status’ between our IEC ending and BOWP/SOWP being approved. We were inland and continued to work for our respective employers.

Last edited:

Luketama1

Dec 14, 2017
That’s very interesting. I was not aware of this issue when I did my PR. My wife and I both worked for probably 2 months on what we presumed was ‘implied status’ between our IEC ending and BOWP/SOWP being approved. We were inland and continued to work for our respective employers.
Did they ask any questions about you working on implied status when you went to activate your new OWP

fireal.jon

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Kelowna, BC
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-08-2017
AOR Received.
15-08-2017
Med's Done....
14-09-2016
Passport Req..
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2017
LANDED..........
02-12-2017
Did they ask any questions about you working on implied status when you went to activate your new OWP
No. The permits don't need activating.. They get sent to you in the post as you're already inland. We were never questioned at any point.