File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Details are below. There are specific guidelines for assessing start ups.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/intra-company-transferees/canadian-interests-significant-benefit-general-requirements-r205-exemption-code-c12.html

Guidelines when assessing start-up companies
Requirements for the company
  • Generally, the company must secure physical premises to house the Canadian operation, particularly in the case of specialized knowledge. However, in specific cases involving senior managers or executives, it would be acceptable that the address of the new start-up not yet be secured; for example, the company may use its counsel’s address until the executive can purchase or lease a premise.
  • The company must furnish realistic plans to staff the new operation.
  • The company must have the financial ability to commence business in Canada and compensate employees.
  • When transferring executives or managers, the company must
    • demonstrate that it will be large enough to support executive or management function.
  • When transferring a specialized knowledge worker, the company must
    • demonstrate that it is expected to be doing business;
    • ensure that work is guided and directed by management at the Canadian operation.

Reactions: Startup_Visa

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
Well I’m not a lawyer to know about the system . When the lawyer is recommending ICT program and gives an overview of the program and says it best fits your profile and we have done lot of ICT with similar profiles and they were successful then you obviously think that’s the best fit. So you can surely say that the lawyer has tried to cheat me and extort money.
You don't need to be a lawyer to apply for a work permit.bif you are not eligible, you can't change that by having a lawyer.

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
You don't need to be a lawyer to apply for a work permit.bif you are not eligible, you can't change that by having a lawyer.
@sb22651 - Clearly you have your personal biases and are making lots of assumptions so you can bash other members. If you can't objectively answer the question asked by the OP then please don't pollute the space with your negativity. FYI - all WP are temporary and need to prove they will return to home country, so this case is not an exception.

@Naturgrl - You mentioned, “For instance, a company with no employees which exists in name only and is established for the sole purpose of facilitating the entry of intra-company transferees would not qualify.” Please note, the OP has clearly said they have established business in India with employees, so it's not a company created for the purpose of intra-company tranfer. Don't just assume things and misinterpret IRCC guidelines. If someone has a company in home country and are opening a Canadian subsidary, then obviously they don't need to prove revenue or employees in Canada. They need to have a solid business plan and prospective clients. If you have any doubts read the link shared by Scylla and read how startups are evaluated.

@sarah77 - Firstly, speak with your lawyer and see what they have to say. If you still need help from the forum, please clearly put all the details about your application category and what all supporting documents you submitted and if possible copy and paste your rejection letter text after removing your personal information. I am sure people with startup ICT WP experience will be able to help you. Most importantly, go through the link shared by @scylla and make sure you address each and every point relevant for startup companies while reapplying.

Unlike what some biased people might say, it's very much possible to get WP via ICT for a startup stage company like yourself. It takes longer and you have to prove your case very strongly. Finally, it's a totally legitimate way to get WP unlike what @sb22651 @Naturgrl or @Copingwithlife might suggest.

Reactions: scylla

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
@sb22651 - Clearly you have your personal biases and are making lots of assumptions so you can bash other members. If you can't objectively answer the question asked by the OP then please don't pollute the space with your negativity. FYI - all WP are temporary and need to prove they will return to home country, so this case is not an exception.

@Naturgrl - You mentioned, “For instance, a company with no employees which exists in name only and is established for the sole purpose of facilitating the entry of intra-company transferees would not qualify.” Please note, the OP has clearly said they have established business in India with employees, so it's not a company created for the purpose of intra-company tranfer. Don't just assume things and misinterpret IRCC guidelines. If someone has a company in home country and are opening a Canadian subsidary, then obviously they don't need to prove revenue or employees in Canada. They need to have a solid business plan and prospective clients. If you have any doubts read the link shared by Scylla and read how startups are evaluated.

@sarah77 - Firstly, speak with your lawyer and see what they have to say. If you still need help from the forum, please clearly put all the details about your application category and what all supporting documents you submitted and if possible copy and paste your rejection letter text after removing your personal information. I am sure people with startup ICT WP experience will be able to help you. Most importantly, go through the link shared by @scylla and make sure you address each and every point relevant for startup companies while reapplying.

Unlike what some biased people might say, it's very much possible to get WP via ICT for a startup stage company like yourself. It takes longer and you have to prove your case very strongly. Finally, it's a totally legitimate way to get WP unlike what @sb22651 @Naturgrl or @Copingwithlife might suggest.
Ok, so if it can be done the route you’re suggesting, and you’ve been refused already , I may note , what’s your next steps ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok, so if it can be done the route you’re suggesting, and you’ve been refused already , I may note , what’s your next steps ?
OP needs to strengthen the application per the guidelines I quoted above and reapply.

Reactions: Startup_Visa

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
@Copingwithlife - I am not the OP and I have not been refused WP. As mentioned in my comment, OP should seek further guidance from their lawyer and address all the points relevant for startups as hightlighted by @scylla with solid documentation.

Reactions: scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

For the ICT program the level of establishment in Canada is a factor and who is applying for the ICT is a major factor in approval. The owner operator is applying to transfer themselves to Canada to set-up a business. If the ICT was for a manager in their company (out of the current Indian employees not the owner) who was applying for ICT and there were some staff already hired in Canada to support the manager being transferred from India the chances of approval would likely be much higher. In general setting up a Canadian office in order for the business owner to transfer themselves to Canada is seen as a way to circumvent the start-up visa process.

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
For the ICT program the level of establishment in Canada is a factor and who is applying for the ICT is a major factor in approval. The owner operator is applying to transfer themselves to Canada to set-up a business. If the ICT was for a manager in their company (out of the current Indian employees not the owner) who was applying for ICT and there were some staff already hired in Canada to support the manager being transferred from India the chances of approval would likely be much higher. In general setting up a Canadian office in order for the business owner to transfer themselves to Canada is seen as a way to circumvent the start-up visa process.
@canuck78 - I beg to disagree with you, as you are assuming the sole intention of the OP is to immigrate and not expand their business in Canada. The OP has clearly stated she has 8-9 employees in India and is looking to establish Canadian operations for which she has also taken office space.

Startup Visa is just one of the many ways for startups and companies to expand their operations in Canada. It's not the only way to expand business in Canada and get WP for the same. So there is no circumventing of any immigration system by applying for ICT WP for an owner who is also a key business manager.

However, I do agree with you that the threshold for an owner-cum-manager is much higher and needs to be supported with strong business plan, potential clients, existing clients, proof that the owner is necessary to establish and grow the business in Canada.

But it's not a way to circumvent any Canadian immigration system! On the contrary, it's a very legitimate way for genuine businesses to establish their Canadian operations. I personally know many business owners who have successfully gone down this route and one of them even went on to raise a significant venture round and is a very successful startup.

I am seeing a trend where some senior members are assuming everyone is trying to cheat or circumvent the system. Unfortunately, the Canadian immigration system has many programs that overlap and yet have different criterias. So it's not necessary that there is only one way to do things. And IRCC agents are not always right or one rejection does not necessarily mean that the applicant is cheating the system.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 - I beg to disagree with you, as you are assuming the sole intention of the OP is to immigrate and not expand their business in Canada. The OP has clearly stated she has 8-9 employees in India and is looking to establish Canadian operations for which she has also taken office space.

Startup Visa is just one of the many ways for startups and companies to expand their operations in Canada. It's not the only way to expand business in Canada and get WP for the same. So there is no circumventing of any immigration system by applying for ICT WP for an owner who is also a key business manager.

However, I do agree with you that the threshold for an owner-cum-manager is much higher and needs to be supported with strong business plan, potential clients, existing clients, proof that the owner is necessary to establish and grow the business in Canada.

But it's not a way to circumvent any Canadian immigration system! On the contrary, it's a very legitimate way for genuine businesses to establish their Canadian operations. I personally know many business owners who have successfully gone down this route and one of them even went on to raise a significant venture round and is a very successful startup.

I am seeing a trend where some senior members are assuming everyone is trying to cheat or circumvent the system. Unfortunately, the Canadian immigration system has many programs that overlap and yet have different criterias. So it's not necessary that there is only one way to do things. And IRCC agents are not always right or one rejection does not necessarily mean that the applicant is cheating the system.
ICT is not the proper way for an owner to open a new office in Canada. If an owner has been approved for an ICT recently without an established Canadian office with other employees than an error was made. There is a start-up program for exactly this purpose.

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
ICT is not the proper way for an owner to open a new office in Canada. If an owner has been approved for an ICT recently without an established Canadian office with other employees than an error was made. There is a start-up program for exactly this purpose.
@canuck78 - can you please share the source for such a claim? It's like saying Express Entry is the only proper way for professionals to immigrate to Canada.

ICT has a sub-category for startups and there are different set of rules and guidelines on how the startups and their owners are judged in that. Every company is not ideal for startup visa. Hence there are multiple ways for business owners to establish Canadian office and obtain WP or PR accordingly. And ICT WP is just one of the many legitimate ways of doing it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 - can you please share the source for such a claim? It's like saying Express Entry is the only proper way for professionals to immigrate to Canada.

ICT has a sub-category for startups and there are different set of rules and guidelines on how the startups and their owners are judged in that. Every company is not ideal for startup visa. Hence there are multiple ways for business owners to establish Canadian office and obtain WP or PR accordingly. And ICT WP is just one of the many legitimate ways of doing it.
There are many categories of immigration. ICT for start-up is still not for the owner of a new business in Canada to start a business in Canada that has no Canadian employees. ICT is not for owners to establish businesses and use the work experience to then get PR.