+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My friend refugee claim just got reject.

Tamiou

Feb 5, 2021
Hello,my friend is from Nigeria,she came here in 2019 claiming asylum. She went to interview last week and receive a letter that said she is refused because she doesn't have enough proof. Her lawyer just tell her that if she appeals the case she won't win and still ask $2500 to send the appeal. What else can she do?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,my friend is from Nigeria,she came here in 2019 claiming asylum. She went to interview last week and receive a letter that said she is refused because she doesn't have enough proof. Her lawyer just tell her that if she appeals the case she won't win and still ask $2500 to send the appeal. What else can she do?
Her main option right now is to appeal.

If she has children then H&C may be an option.

Reactions: Tamiou and rockrchh

peace123

Star Member
Jul 11, 2019
Follow the appeal instruction in IRB website. She could appeal her case by herself.

Written submissions to explain the doubt in reasons and decision from RPD , meanwhile provide new evidence to support her case. New evidence is evidence that arose after the rejection, or that was not normally accessible, or that her could not reasonably have been expected in the circumstances to have presented at the time of rejection.

Reactions: Tamiou

peace123

Star Member
Jul 11, 2019

Reactions: Tamiou

Jaysonjide

Star Member
Nov 12, 2021
If its lack of enough proof, i think she can change lawyer and appeal. Some lawyers dont go extra miles to prepare their clients, they just care about money.

Reactions: Ghess23

Swagzzy

Jan 28, 2020
She doesn't have children in Canada,they are back home.
It doesn’t matter where the kids live whether I’m canada or outside canada as long as they are her kids and they are under 18 years. She is qualified to apply H&C under Best interest of Child.

Reactions: scylla

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
Her biggest issue right now is that lawyer, what kind of lawyer says you'll lose but offers to appeal anyways for more money? She needs to find a better lawyer, preferably someone who specializes in refugee and asylum cases and who is competent, the lawyer will need to draft basically a big document for the appeal and argument against each point in the officer's denial letter and this lawyer doesn't sound like they will do a good job at that mainly cause they don't seem to care...

Swagzzy

Jan 28, 2020
Her biggest issue right now is that lawyer, what kind of lawyer says you'll lose but offers to appeal anyways for more money? She needs to find a better lawyer, preferably someone who specializes in refugee and asylum cases and who is competent, the lawyer will need to draft basically a big document for the appeal and argument against each point in the officer's denial letter and this lawyer doesn't sound like they will do a good job at that mainly cause they don't seem to care...
Hey, much more than being incompetent and careless, the lawyer might just be sincere! The lawyer had seen the decision and most times, they know the outcome even before they file the documents in. This does not mean your friend can not win the appeal.
I’ll advise that you tell your friend to join this group such that she can make her case for herself and get firsthand information.
Let her be prepared for JR and H&C incase the appeal comes out dismissed. But, there are still long rope and opportunities for her.

Reactions: 116sg17

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Her big issue are her grounds for asylum and proof she has. Many have arrived as economic immigrants from Nigeria but filed for asylum. The government is aware of this. No knowing anything about her case, proof of iFA, etc. it is hard to comment or to know if she is a genuine asylum seeker or is more of an economic migrant. Seeking opinions from a few different lawyers is probably the best option.

Reactions: Ghess23