Interview........
?
Passport Req..
?
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
10-25-2012
Hi, I have a friend who is a PR and met the residence obligation. She visited her home about a month ago
and was suppose to come back to Canada yesterday. And I found out her PR is expired. She did not even
started to extend it.

What happens in this case, and what does she have to do?

Thanks in advance..

fotkifolkslove

Dec 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is she from a visa exempt country? If she is not from a visa exempt country she won't be allowed to board the plane that's all I know my friend. Tell her to apply for a PRTD. PRTD will only be approved if she was staying more than 2 years out of 5 years recently. Count the day from today backwards.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, I have a friend who is a PR and met the residence obligation. She visited her home about a month ago
and was suppose to come back to Canada yesterday. And I found out her PR is expired. She did not even
started to extend it.

What happens in this case, and what does she have to do?

Thanks in advance..
She needs to either apply for a PRTD or travel to the US and enter by land at the Canada-US border.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Is she from a visa exempt country? If she is not from a visa exempt country she won't be allowed to board the plane that's all I know my friend. Tell her to apply for a PRTD. PRTD will only be approved if she was staying more than 2 years out of 5 years recently. Count the day from today backwards.
It doesn't matter if she is visa-exempt. She still won't be allowed to board the plane because she cannot get an eTA.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If she fly to the US, she can cross at the land boarder with her passport into Canada. She won’t be able to get an eTA, as PR’s are not eligible for them. The only other choice is a PRTD.

Reactions: scylla

fotkifolkslove

Dec 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow really, I wasn't aware of this fact. So PR's aren't eligible for eta(will keep this thing in mind). Then I think the only way is to apply for a prtd if not from visa exempt countries, and if from visa exempt country the only way is to go the US and cross via land.

fotkifolkslove

Dec 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't you guys think that all these PR restrictions and limitations encourage PR holders to apply for a citizenship and become a Citizen. I think the Canadian government also wants a PR to turn into a citizen instead of remaining PR.

For instance, refer to all these bs limitations:

1) PR should not be outside Canada for more than 3 years.
2) PR should live in Canada for 2 years out of 5 years.
3) PR's aren't eligible for a ETA.
4) PR aren't allowed to enter Canada without a valid PR card.
5) PR's should renew their pr card in every 5 years.
6) PR cannot vote.
7) PR's can lose their status.
8) If you lose your PR card outside Canada prepare to apply for a PRTD and prepare to wait couple of months to receive a pr card. In violent cases, prepare to see your PRTD rejected. Scary.
9) If applying for a PRTD outside Canada prepare to show you stayed at least 2 years out of recent 5 years. If you can't show at least 2 years then prepare to lose your PR status.

etc.

Last edited:

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Wow really, I wasn't aware of this fact. So PR's aren't eligible for eta(will keep this thing in mind). Then I think the only way is to apply for a prtd if not from visa exempt countries, and if from visa exempt country the only way is to go the US and cross via land.
People from Visa Exempt countries can (and should) also apply for a PRTD if they need to travel without their PR Card.

The eTA is one of the ways that Canada wants to ensure that it can enforce the residency obligation for PRs. You call them BS limitations, but think of it from a Canadian perspective. Canada grants people PR status so that they can come to Canada and contribute to Canadian society. In return, Canada grants you the privileges of a PR such as being allowed to travel to and within Canada, work, live, get access to healthcare, education, social services, etc. In return for all of that, Canada wants you to spend 40% of your time every 5 years in Canada.

What Canada doesn't want, is hundreds of thousands (or millions) of people who live outside of Canada who aren't citizens and don't pay taxes in Canada, who don't spend money in Canadian shops, don't use Canadian services, etc. to be able to have the rights of a PR without giving back. Why is it in Canada's interest to have PRs live outside of Canada, who... if they decided to on a whim... can come back and get access to healthcare, education, social services, etc. without having paid into the system or contributed to the Canadian economy?!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Don't you guys think that all these PR restrictions and limitations encourage PR holders to apply for a citizenship and become a Citizen. I think the Canadian government also wants a PR to turn into a citizen instead of remaining PR.

6) PR cannot vote.
8) If you lose your PR card outside Canada prepare to apply for a PRTD and prepare to wait couple of months to receive a pr card. In violent cases, prepare to see your PRTD rejected. Scary.
9) If applying for a PRTD outside Canada prepare to show you stayed at least 2 years out of recent 5 years. If you can't show at least 2 years then prepare to lose your PR status.

etc.
Just to comment on a couple of things
4)not exactly true given a PR can enter via a land border with an expired PR card or a COPR. They just cannot board a plane without a valid card or PRTD.
5)there is no legal obligation to renew unless someone wants to travel
6)pretty consistent with any country where citizens are allowed to vote.
7)again no different to many countries if someone doesn’t follow the rules clearly stated when they decide to emigrate.
8)a PRTD application would likely only be rejected if documentation incomplete or the applicant had failed the residency obligation which they would have known about before they applied and also before they lost their card. There is always the land border alternative even without a card but same result possible if RO not met.
9)again the rules are clear and ignorance of the rules would be no defence if someone does not want to obey the well published rules then why bother applying to live in Canada in the first place.

Over the years there have been many people who gained PR status and never stayed on then somehow after years away came back in having contributed little or nothing to the country so the process surrounding PR cards/PRTDs/ETAs goes some way to fixing that.

Being a PR should always be seen as a privilege not a right, only once a citizen does that change so everyone is a winner once a citizen

Last edited:

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013

6) PR cannot vote.

etc.
3 - Neither is a Canadian citizen.
4 - Not true. If you can get to a Canadian port of entry, they can look up your status in the system. Same goes for a Canadians who lost their Canadian passport
5 - Canadians have to renew their passport also

strawbar

Star Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
01-02-2010
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
4-28-2011 Seattle
Med's Request
18-01-2012
Med's Done....
05-02-2012
Interview........
?
Passport Req..
?
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
10-25-2012
Thanks guys!! I told my friend as your advice!! ;)