+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My first working permit is expired on 8 August 2009 but I am still here

susie

Aug 14, 2009
Hi there

Getting working permit is such a torture to me.

My situation is that I am waiting LMO letter and I applied working permit without LMO letter-(I will send to CIC an LMO letter as soon as I receive)

Can I stay in canada even though my working permit is already expried?

Or Can I go back to my country with my current status?

What if I got the refusal from LMO, do I need to leave canada immediately?

Please help me..

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
If you applied for the work permit

1) before the expiry of the current work permit you will be in implied status and can work for the current employer till you hear from CIC.

2) after the expiry of the current work permit then you lose your status, you would have to apply for restoration of status within 90 days of the work permit expiry. You cannot work but you can stay in Canada till you hear from CIC.

If your LMO is refused then you can change your status as visitor (you will have 90 days from the date your work permit expires).

owenzy

Jul 1, 2009
Same thing happened to me!

CIC procesed my work permit, even though I told them I was waiting for LMO.
got told as above to restore status within 90 days, & pay $200 restoration fee for each for my family (3 of us) as well as the new application fees.
Called CIC with my LMO approval number, guy told me it would be easer for me to go to an entry port ( I stay near Toronto so went to Niagra Falls) leave Canada to the u.s, & turn around & re-enter Canada, reapply at 'port' as a new application & bingo, no restoration fees.
The process took about 2hrs total, including walking across the Rainbow bridge to U.S., getting my I90 card & going straing back to Canada!!
Total cost was $300 for my work permit,my wifes open spousal work permit, and my daughters open visitors permit(7 year old).

hope it helps 4 you 2!.
:)

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
susie said:
Hi there

Getting working permit is such a torture to me.
Hi Susie,

Is you TRV still valid? because if your TRV is still valid, then you can do what Owenzy did,apply at a port of entry closest to you with your new LMO (when it comes). How long ago was your LMO application submitted by your employer? It usually takes between 6-8 weeks for LMO to be processed. Your employer could also call/write the corresponding Service Canada where he/she sent the LMO application to follow up or request to expedite his/her application for LMO (might just work).

owenzy

Jul 1, 2009
BUT

as long as the 90 days has not elapsed(of the expriy of WP & recieving new LMO), since you must have the 'intention' to restore status - or leave Canada by your own means......

owenzy.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Susie,
Also your employer must have submitted all the requirements (publication to the job bank/major website, etc) because if he/she hasn't completed the requirements then there is a high probability of getting a rejection, pretty much similar to what happened to owenzy's LMO app.

Owenzy,
I just read again your first "thread".

susie

Aug 14, 2009
Thank you all..
I've just received positive opion.
I hope this is not too late to send this letter to CIC.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
susie said:
Thank you all..
I've just received positive opion.
I hope this is not too late to send this letter to CIC.
Have a photocopy (to make sure that in case it got misplaced you still have a copy in your possession) of your LMO. Then mail one copy with your letter and the postivite LMO. make sure you indicate your client id number on your letter and on your LMO.

ABresi

May 4, 2009
I suggest you, Susie. You don't have to mail your positive LMO letter to cic if you live far from the office. It's waste time. You can call the cic call centre to tell the agent about your LMO's comfirmation No.. Besides you should call the centre again few days after to make sure your LMO's information has already been sent to the officer who is handling your file.

Because my case, after I received my positive LMO I called the cic call centre then told my positive LMO's information to the agent. I had waited for 3weeks then I called the call centre again to ask about how long it would take more. That time's agent said there has no information about my LMO. ??? So first time's agent didn't input my LMO's info. to my document either not sent it to the officer. I was really shocked. It was on friday. Next monday I called again to aks last time's agent worked his job properly. He did!

Same week of wednesday it was approved then a week later I recieved new wp.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
ABresi said:
I suggest you, Susie. You don't have to mail your positive LMO letter to cic if you live far from the office. It's waste time. You can call the cic call centre to tell the agent about your LMO's comfirmation No.. Besides you should call the centre again few days after to make sure your LMO's information has already been sent to the officer who is handling your file.

Because my case, after I received my positive LMO I called the cic call centre then told my positive LMO's information to the agent. I had waited for 3weeks then I called the call centre again to ask about how long it would take more. That time's agent said there has no information about my LMO. ??? So first time's agent didn't input my LMO's info. to my document either not sent it to the officer. I was really shocked. It was on friday. Next monday I called again to aks last time's agent worked his job properly. He did!

Same week of wednesday it was approved then a week later I recieved new wp.
Thanks for this information ABresi. This is a relief for those of us who would be in a similar situation in the future. So we just call CIC and give them the information on or LMO. Does this work for all types of work permit applications? Many thanks.

ABresi

May 4, 2009
Hello job-seeker.

I have no idea about other occupations case. My NOC is D. However according to the letter which I received from CIC as the notification of having still been waiting my LMO said once I would get a valid LMO,ASAP contact CIC call centre or mail in a copy of my valid LMO.

I hope this information would be helpful for someone who is concerned about getting a WP.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
ABresi said:
Hello job-seeker.

I have no idea about other occupations case. My NOC is D. However according to the letter which I received from CIC as the notification of having still been waiting my LMO said once I would get a valid LMO,ASAP contact CIC call centre or mail in a copy of my valid LMO.

I hope this information would be helpful for someone who is concerned about getting a WP.
Thanks ABresi. Well we could try and contact CIC. It's worth a try. And then if it won't work that way, we can always send it. Thanks again.