Med's Done....
June, 2012
Passport Req..
PPR1: 21st august 2012, PPR2: 21 sept, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
16th oct
LANDED..........
22nd feb 2013
First of all, let me apologize for being out of the scene for a few months. Second I am very thankful to everyone for their help during the immigration process. I landed in Canada on Feb 22, 2013 and the reason of being out of the scene was to get a good idea of Canada before I advise something.

So, I landed in Feb: Toronto covered in snow. I initially stayed for 2 days in safehomestay and then moved to a shared apartment with students. I wanted to keep the expenditure low, so 425 per month including utilities per seperate room was a great offer for me. Additionally, they were very friendly and they were sharing everything except underwears lol so I was using all their utensils, pillows and blankets. I was new to Toronto and I would highly recommend something like for a single person, as there are alot of right decisions we need to take. For example, their apartment was right infront of subway station, it wasnt very expensive, the building was average with low cost, I wasnt supposed to pay the first and last month, they were willing for any type of help, they even offered to pick me from the airport but I said no. I thought they might get a better offer and would rent the room to somebody else so precautionally I stayed in safehomestay to see how things go.. but I was wrong, they were short of money as they were students but they were honest.

I took of 3 months vacation from my job in Pakistan and I thought if things wouldnt go well for me in canada, I would come back to pakistan and would plan properly and move back after an year with agood plan.

The job process was the most challenging I experienced. I got 5-10 calls per day when I began to apply but no real interviews, thats all. I was 100% in all the interviews, I downgraded my CV, talked to recruitment agencies, distributed my CV, joined social community services but no use. I wasnt tensed in a sense I had a good job back home and atleast I was safe. after 25 days of direct applies, I changed my strategy, I contacted everybody in my circle, I kept asking for references from strangers and booom:

I landed in a job on 35th day of my landing. People kept on telling me okay ask that guy, ok call that guy tell him we ABC is reffering you. The job was pretty good SENIOR NETWORK ENGINEER. It was enough for me to send a resign back home. Believe me, when I got the offer letter, I was travelling by subway, passing through kennedy station and that big canadian flag right infront of the station looked so wonderful. Yes, for the first time after my landing.

Things began to change, I got myself a good car, I shifted to an apartment of my own, I am working hard and still trying to balance my life as immigration is a rebirth and everything would be new for you.

Some tips for newcommers:
Network: this is must otherwise you might be in odd jobs even after 15 years.
First job: First job in your field is a must, spend an year of two in that job and then sky is the limit.
Odd jobs: you would work hard and would hardly earn your living
Taxi jobs: If things arent working for you, then atleast drive a cab on temp basis, you would making good and would be saving enough to spend on your skills upgradation
CIIP or other new commer job placement agencies: They would keep on asking you for volunteer programs, that means dollar 5 per day, that is weird, so network and try to get somebody refer you. 2ndly, they would screw up your CV, specially in IT. When you would apply for a job posting, the HR department would pick that CV but when the IT department would review that CV, it would be thrown in a dustbin. So work on your CV with your own brain, make it something like equally ok with HR department as well as well IT department. Some might not agree with me but this is what I have seen in my own company. And dont forget: N E T W O R K like crazies

Dont worry about the snow, get a nice jacket and you gonna be fine. Dont look at the nice apartments until you get a good job. Work on your network and get a job placement first.

Now some other things:

I prefer walmart for shopping, it has almost anything you need and its very affordable. Toronto is a wonderful city as a whole, there is always something going on, specially the weekends rock. Another plus: this city is so multicultural and finding your community wont be hard for you. If possible dont rent a basement, you would be bored and it is going to affect your energy level, which means alot during the first job hunting process.

Do let me know if you need any help. I have been an active member of this forum for years and I have been receiving a lot of messages recently. Additionally it is going to be hard for to keep track of each and every post as the first year in canada is very busy as everything is new. So I would create a new email or fb id and would share it with you, so it would be easy for me reply to everyone.

and let me thank everyone for all the help during the immigration process for 3 years.

I wish success to everyone and do remember me in prayers

Reactions: abhijeet4800

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
Thanks for sharing your story with us and wish you a successful and blessed future in Canada.

MuzafferQA

Star Member
Apr 30, 2013
Qatar
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
19-05-2014
Med's Done....
22-05-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1:05-06-2014, PPR2:17-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-07-2014
LANDED..........
23-05-2015
this is so cool. First positive thing i heard after a long time. Hopefully inshaallah i wil be there in few months time, if all goes well. n hope to meet you too. :D

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
KhalidSubhan said:
First of all, let me apologize for being out of the scene for a few months. Second I am very thankful to everyone for their help during the immigration process. I landed in Canada on Feb 22, 2013 and the reason of being out of the scene was to get a good idea of Canada before I advise something.

So, I landed in Feb: Toronto covered in snow. I initially stayed for 2 days in safehomestay and then moved to a shared apartment with students. I wanted to keep the expenditure low, so 425 per month including utilities per seperate room was a great offer for me. Additionally, they were very friendly and they were sharing everything except underwears lol so I was using all their utensils, pillows and blankets. I was new to Toronto and I would highly recommend something like for a single person, as there are alot of right decisions we need to take. For example, their apartment was right infront of subway station, it wasnt very expensive, the building was average with low cost, I wasnt supposed to pay the first and last month, they were willing for any type of help, they even offered to pick me from the airport but I said no. I thought they might get a better offer and would rent the room to somebody else so precautionally I stayed in safehomestay to see how things go.. but I was wrong, they were short of money as they were students but they were honest.

I took of 3 months vacation from my job in Pakistan and I thought if things wouldnt go well for me in canada, I would come back to pakistan and would plan properly and move back after an year with agood plan.

The job process was the most challenging I experienced. I got 5-10 calls per day when I began to apply but no real interviews, thats all. I was 100% in all the interviews, I downgraded my CV, talked to recruitment agencies, distributed my CV, joined social community services but no use. I wasnt tensed in a sense I had a good job back home and atleast I was safe. after 25 days of direct applies, I changed my strategy, I contacted everybody in my circle, I kept asking for references from strangers and booom:

I landed in a job on 35th day of my landing. People kept on telling me okay ask that guy, ok call that guy tell him we ABC is reffering you. The job was pretty good SENIOR NETWORK ENGINEER. It was enough for me to send a resign back home. Believe me, when I got the offer letter, I was travelling by subway, passing through kennedy station and that big canadian flag right infront of the station looked so wonderful. Yes, for the first time after my landing.

Things began to change, I got myself a good car, I shifted to an apartment of my own, I am working hard and still trying to balance my life as immigration is a rebirth and everything would be new for you.

First job: First job in your field is a must, spend an year of two in that job and then sky is the limit.
Taxi jobs: If things arent working for you, then atleast drive a cab on temp basis, you would making good and would be saving enough to spend on your skills upgradation
CIIP or other new commer job placement agencies: They would keep on asking you for volunteer programs, that means dollar 5 per day, that is weird, so network and try to get somebody refer you. 2ndly, they would screw up your CV, specially in IT. When you would apply for a job posting, the HR department would pick that CV but when the IT department would review that CV, it would be thrown in a dustbin. So work on your CV with your own brain, make it something like equally ok with HR department as well as well IT department. Some might not agree with me but this is what I have seen in my own company. And dont forget: N E T W O R K like crazies

Dont worry about the snow, get a nice jacket and you gonna be fine. Dont look at the nice apartments until you get a good job. Work on your network and get a job placement first.

Now some other things:

I prefer walmart for shopping, it has almost anything you need and its very affordable. Toronto is a wonderful city as a whole, there is always something going on, specially the weekends rock. Another plus: this city is so multicultural and finding your community wont be hard for you. If possible dont rent a basement, you would be bored and it is going to affect your energy level, which means alot during the first job hunting process.

Do let me know if you need any help. I have been an active member of this forum for years and I have been receiving a lot of messages recently. Additionally it is going to be hard for to keep track of each and every post as the first year in canada is very busy as everything is new. So I would create a new email or fb id and would share it with you, so it would be easy for me reply to everyone.

and let me thank everyone for all the help during the immigration process for 3 years.

Thanks for this positive post. Glad to see that an immigrant has settled in so well. Wish you the best of luck!

Gandalf

Star Member
Aug 25, 2013
KhalidSubhan said:

Now some other things:

Thanks for sharing ur experience as its really encouraging to some of us. But some people have talked about 'canada experience' as a major factor by employers. Also to what extent does foreign educational credential influence the decision to hire? Thanks.

1976js

Aug 17, 2013
thanx khalidsubhan for the encouraging write-up..though I have not got visa...n waiting after MR/Medicals/RPRF....gud to see few motivating lines after lot of negativism regarding the availability of jobs...dear I am in dilemma whther I should land there with my wife and 11 yr old kid or should I go alone at initial level...I have a gud job over here in India and wife to is employed..would appreciate a few words of suggestion please
Regards
KhalidSubhan said:

Now some other things:

nvln

Mar 14, 2013
Mumbai, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Hopefully will be waived....!!
KhalidSubhan said:

Now some other things:

Hi KhalidSubhan,

Good Inputs - very well written! Thanks.

NVLN.

swift

Mar 5, 2011
Thanks 4 ur valuable advice.God bless u & all d best 4 ur future in Maple Leaf Country.

AAJ

Star Member
Aug 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2010
AOR Received.
1st AOR 13-10-2010, Full Documents Sent 19-01-11, 2nd AOR 16-06-2011
IELTS Request
Done
Med's Request
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
06-04-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2013
LANDED..........
April 2014 (IA)
So wonderful, helpful and encouraging post... Thanks a lot for sharing... :)

PalNP

Mar 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 10
Passport Req..
August 13
VISA ISSUED...
September 13
KhalidSubhan said:

Now some other things:

Hi Khalid:

I am very impressed with the you expressed..each of the line was full motivating.

And me also being in an IT field i have a lot respect for you..

Thanks for +ve manifestation .. for that +1 for you dude.

God bless and have a great career in IT in Canada.

Pal

alinec

Aug 9, 2012
lebanon
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
2010 from damascus
Med's Request
26 september 2011- remeds 25 february 2013
Med's Done....
remeds 8 march 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
1st request: november 2011 // second request: 26th july 2013
VISA ISSUED...
first issue january 2012- SECOND ISSUE 22 AUGUST 2013
LANDED..........
13 October 2013
kiala said:
don't believe this crook unless you have seen his job offer letter...watever he tells is crap
Kiala,

could you please tell us if you are still in canada and if you found a job? and what is your profession?

thanks

kiala

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
alinec said:
Kiala,

could you please tell us if you are still in canada and if you found a job? and what is your profession?

thanks
yes i am in toronto and i have got a job as customer services rep..

by the way i know this guy khalidsubhan

alinec

Aug 9, 2012
lebanon
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
2010 from damascus
Med's Request
26 september 2011- remeds 25 february 2013
Med's Done....
remeds 8 march 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
1st request: november 2011 // second request: 26th july 2013
VISA ISSUED...
first issue january 2012- SECOND ISSUE 22 AUGUST 2013
LANDED..........
13 October 2013
kiala said:
yes i am in toronto and i have got a job as customer services rep..

by the way i know this guy khalidsubhan
is this your original profession or it is a survival job? and how much time it took you to get the job?

kiala

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
alinec said:
is this your original profession or it is a survival job? and how much time it took you to get the job?
this is kinda survival job but related to my profession..i work in cibc bank....i am a banker by profession..it took me 4 months to find this job...

kiala

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
i applied for this job through this link

https://cibc.taleo.net/careersection/1/joblist.ftl

you can always activate career alert to get new job postings.....it took me 4 months and i had many rejected interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.