+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My expriences so far ... first two days in Toronto!!!

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
thank you.

Yes James... I can't agree more on that. I suppose fighting for a real good job is worth every tear drop & penny.

I am going to take these courses and to see where I land and I now no longer care where I should/would live, as long as I can have a solid good job and a plan to continue study and be happy, even if I 've to move to Saint John's and/or Iqualit, I will do that without a doubt. I just call a moving company and get my stuff in it and there I go.

I am still hopefull I will land a real good job so I can study, but now I really understand why some people although they have such excellent degrees, are driving taxi's and/or working as housekeeping which are by far, BETTER THAN CALL CENTER jobs!

Even I won't mind working as waitress or housekeeping, but yes, it is really truly DIFFICULT to land a good job here due to many factors.

If I could give one good advice to newcomers, it will be this:

Find a job first prior to moving here and save every penny you got and be prepared and don't be on your own and without your loved ones.

What is more difficult for me these days is the fact I miss my bf, dog, Mom, Dad and even my ex co-workers at work and their "nag" and "mobbing" or "gossip".

Sometimes moves as such makes you realise what is really important in life and what does really matter. Getting out of your comfort zone is easy, but going back to it, is difficult. Anyway...

When this man a few weeks ago told me that for Europeans like me, coming to Canada isn't fair and explained why (that people from Tamil and/or Conflict empowerished zones on this planet, should better come here and find peace and a decent low paid job and survive), I was upset and told him that all of us do deserve to move around freely and make our own choices, now I do understand that sometimes some of us have been given so many choices already.

I never did discriminate anybody at work and always gave any newcomer a good chance to succeed and made friends with them as I believe in Karma.

Now, where is the Karma left??!!

Ah well ... tomorrow another day and wish I was a Truck driver and/or an Electricien than an skilled Office Manager with my Anthropology and Psychology degrees that are as usefull as having ice on North Pole as for lunch!

AZ/DZ Truck Drivers are in demand here, yes, Electriciens, Mechanics are in demand, but all the rest?!!!!! I don't know.

Well...

We won't give up. :D

mikenz

Sep 5, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Due to the nature of my job, I have lived and worked in a few countries the past 25 years. One thing seems to be consistent.. Where I come from we have a saying: There are too many chiefs and not enough Indians (no pun intended). Too many studied people and no one wants dirty hands anymore. So being a blue collar worker like mechanic, truck driver, chef, electrician, plumber is quite an advantage over the white collar ones.. There is always work for them.

I know guys like them above making twice or three times the amount of $$$ compared to a person with a "clean" job. Thats why we have that 29 NOC jobs list, on there is what is needed, miners, crane operators, drilling experts, etc..

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
Exactly! well said.

This is why I suppose people who want to come here, really need to look at and take the list seriously and don't think here is really the place waiting for more educated people to join the party.

I am sure anybody in IT would have a better chance applying and getting a job in the Netherlands than here and I mean that and knowing the language which isn't difficult will certainly add up and help and be of a major asset to get the job anywhere.

Let's face it, somebody who has studied for his/her entire life and has got high degree's, should be easily capable of learing 10 languages.

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
Ok ... I went to this "job interview" today. ... in Scarborough ... another scamlike job as it appeared.

I was told they want me to jump on board, but it does involve door to door selling of their energy products so clients can sign a contract and pay a fixed rate during that peride or to choose for a green CO2 footprint etc using energy efficient appliances etc.

Requires a car, but I don't have it, I don't even have a driving license, then I was told that It won't be a problem and I can be given enough time to obtain it, I knew it is just an easy "job". Easy come, Easy GO!!! :D so, no, thanks, goodbye and goodluck!

I came back home, did fill out a few online applications again and made a few phone calls. One company told me I could be able to come over for an interview or actually more of an information session during which they select the prospectus candidates tomorrow so I am going to do that and visit them tomorrow.

No wonder there are no jobs here, because all the good jobs are outsourced to these emerging markets economies.

I sit in the train (subway) and the guy next to me appeared to be a newcomer too with a high degree in Pharmaceuticals and can't find a job either and is working on it for months. He came from Sri Lanka and has studied in India, had a good job in some city he told me, I forgot what it was called, his wife also high educated, working in a laboratory etc. now also jobless and looking for any " survival" job, I was amazed!
He told me that the companies they 've been working at back home were all American or actually NGO's or whatsoever which I did understand and I was shocked to find out he was working for a corporation that actually has outsourced all those highly skilled jobs to India and then he is HERE????!!!!!! looking for a survival job?

I told him that if I was like him, with his degree, I would 've just stayed and lived there, made a good living, saved enough, invested my wealth and travelled around the world, got here at anytime I wanted or bought me a small condo and made a good investment here or had my own pied a terre everywhere I liked to be.

Off course, these years and increasingly these past few months, we face so much hassle travelling especially to USA and Canada or Europe which makes it difficult for anybody with money to ENJOY his/her money that way, but yet again! ...

I don't know ...

Maybe we should all go to India and apply for a job there!? our income will be considered income abroad anyway, right? so, no problem. we can be a PR and yet pay our Canadian taxes and save a lot of money. Euro is doomed anyway, US dollar out of control and defaulting sometime sooner or later, so I will buy renminbi or roepia. :D

Ah well.... maybe if we all come together and start our own company, we will make it somewhere here in Canada eh? ..

;)

SFD

Feb 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CharlotteJ

It would be a great idea to put together our inputs and create a Company. That is a great thing to say.. Sometimes, I feel like once getting into Canada, to start a Small restaurant or a Craft Store with a family oriented mind.

Please relax and have a good sleep.

SFD

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
Good idea!

We open a family oriented restaurant or a shop! ... I 've a "nose" for affordable yet very exclusive brands (clothing and shoes) and would love to have my own business here.

Actually I 've a very very good plan to start a business that will be profitable, but don't have the "money" for it.

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
Thank GOD!!!!!!

I got a REAL job this time. ;D I am so happy and feels so good. Although a seasonal job at a luxuary department store as Sales associate, but yet again, it does provide me a good chance to acquire the Canadian job history I so badly seek and need and if, hopefully, there is the demand for it and other departments and/or same department where I will be put at work, needs me, I can receive extension and a good job assignment.

I had applied for this "seasonal" job offer a few days ago, but didn't hear anything back, so called them for a feedback and on the phone were asked/told to come over for this information session which I did attend and although there were more people who showed up, yet they only selected 7 of us and I was among them. :)

Actually, I love this Department store and hope I can make it there and so I am going to put a lot of effort in this and work really good, excellently good.

so, no Scam-alike job this time around, but a real job.

Iceberg7

Jan 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations CJ..

Hope u enjoy ur new job..
It's holiday season..so there will be a lot of work at a departement store..

Good luck

nj123

Mar 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2010
File Transfer...
13-05-2010
Med's Request
29-01-2010
CharlotteJ said:
Thank GOD!!!!!!

I got a REAL job this time. ;D I am so happy and feels so good. Although a seasonal job at a luxuary department store as Sales associate, but yet again, it does provide me a good chance to acquire the Canadian job history I so badly seek and need and if, hopefully, there is the demand for it and other departments and/or same department where I will be put at work, needs me, I can receive extension and a good job assignment.

I had applied for this "seasonal" job offer a few days ago, but didn't hear anything back, so called them for a feedback and on the phone were asked/told to come over for this information session which I did attend and although there were more people who showed up, yet they only selected 7 of us and I was among them. :)

Actually, I love this Department store and hope I can make it there and so I am going to put a lot of effort in this and work really good, excellently good.

so, no Scam-alike job this time around, but a real job.
Congrats!! How it works out for you...

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
Thank you NJ, IceBerg, everybody ... Ah well, it is a Part Time job, I was mistaken and thought it was F/T, but then again better than nothing.

I want to share a VERY good idea of networking with you all which I am "using" here myself.

I 've never been a drinker nor a smoker, although a very outgoing person and fun to hang around with, yet I am the let's say more " Conservative" "50's style Judy Garland" type of a woman when I go out. I listen, I talk and I enjoy and make friends. But to a certain extent and always aware avoiding negative people and weading out the good from the bad.

I live in the "Gaybourhood', which is safe being a woman. :p I 've discovered this lovely Piano Bar and 've made friends with the Bartender and the owner so I can go there anytime I want and enjoy a "tomatoe juice" or a "virgin Mary" or just a ginger ale while listening to the live music and young artists performances that is held there EVERY night after 8 PM. ::) good idea for us if we want to meet up there.

Anyway ...

Just because I listen to them, interact on a personal level and make good fun, am a bit of a tease and can flirt with people, I make good friends, best way to network. And yes, I appear to meet people who are very well settled or with really good jobs and some who work for government etc and most of whom really great personalities and fun to have as friend.

So, for example, tonight, when I went there to celebrate my little "achievement" and have some fun and relax my head, after being to the Church and pray and thanking God for his mercy and love, I met this lovely young French/Canadian who can help me find a good job in my own field as he works for the some ministry etc. and another young man who works for Ontario Court also told me he might be able to recommend me to some departments because they were both convinced I can do it and am so skilled etc. ... What matters here in Canada, is that they " see' you, know "who" you are and can judge you on who you really are!

In the Netherlands, when one does apply for a job, one is required to mention his/her marital status, gender, date of birth and in most cases a picture in the resumé and you also are asked to mention your nationality and in case you apply for a specific job, you need to also mention your 'religion". So ... guess what? if the Employer wants to avoid you, it is done easily! No hidden discrimination, but visible discrimination. If you get invited to an interview, be prepared for questions as " how long are you here? why did you come here? will you go back? have you kids? do you want (more) kids? are you muslim or Christian? etc. And worst part is the "name" on your resumé. Those with a foreign name are ignored when applying for a job.

Here in Canada, ... they don't ask such questions, you won't need to mention your gender, children, wishes, nationality and all in your resumé, BUT I suppose they look at your name. They might ignore and avoid you but your name! or ... just because they really don't know who they are dealing with, they just "ignore" you despite your qualifications, spiriti, skills, talents, degree's etc etc. So, why is networking so important? ..because they will know who you are and be introduced or recommended by somebody they already know and trust and can relate too. So, not the looks, no, BUT THE ATTITUDE does count and if you 've the GUTS to run around and deal with stress etc. They do require excellent communication skills but that mostly in order to scare one off and keep those who are shy or have a low self esteem outside.

So, do your math and pay attention to these factors too while looking for a job I shall say.

Network ... go out, talk to people, make friends, start with your neighbours and if you get a chance, go out and have a drink and enjoy as well as making good friends.

Yes, lots of jobs are outsourced to low wage developping countries, but the financing, banking, logistics, IT and all are still here and available for those who can compete and are competent enough.

Don't say no, if you know you can make a little bit of money and expand your horizon with a job, P/T or F/T, in a totally different area than your Masters degree and/or what so ever, accept it. Go for it, don't skip "better" chances. You don't know if you like the job, so who knows, you might very well do it and outperform your own abilities and surprise yourself and like it and change direction or you give yourself the foot in the doorstep and go from there.

Why I am still awake and writing you this? ... yes darlings, networking is an exhausting full-time job!!!!! I woke up at 7 am on Thursday and am still awaken at 2AM Friday morning!!!!!! :p But yes, I made like 5 new friends all of whom people who can help me get SOMEWHERE BETTER! ...

Peace, Prosperity and Harmony upon all of you, may you find the job you seek and have the time of your entire life here in Canada,

Charlotte

p.s. Winnipeg, Regina, Edmonton, are not such a bad cities. Here in Toronto, who ever that lives outside of Toronto and/or Montréal is considered Hill Billy (Redneck or Conservative), so if you want to go and live in any of those other cities or might find a job there, try them. There is this TV channel that represents many provinces and I should admit that when watching the Manitoba news and stuff yesterday, I was amazed how friendly people were/are, how fun they are, good food, have taste etc. ... I don't know, I might consider living in some other Canadian city some time in future.

About Calgary > I met a man from Calgary, honest man, he told me that it is a VERY expensive city and even more expensive than Toronto. About Montréal, the most affordable big city and off course fun.

If anybody of you can sing, loves to sing, plays music, wants to perform, let me know. I can arrange a great night all for free for you and so you can dance, sing, perform and who knows, start a new career too? ::) :D

BMWXC60

Aug 18, 2009
CJ,

Must admit that since i started reading this site ,i have not followed a lot of experiences,but as many folks here feel, your experience is quite encouraging,motivating and above all it shows how positive you are in life.Great going and thanks for all of that.

I plan to move to Ontario, in another couple of months,will look out for something , for my initial bread and butter, as you are a newcomer yourself, which place you suggest to look out for accommodations,it should be easily accessible for Public Transportation.Its only me so i might look out for a 1 Bed Condo.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Rgds

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
Hello BMWX...welcome to Canada in advance... and thank you for your encouraging words. Well, I really need to update this thread and really add up some new stuff I 've learnt and found out about in a few days, as soon as I 've some time but sure I will do that. I meet so many great people each day and many of whom want to meet with me on a regular basis that I hardly have time these days to sit down and gather my thoughts and write. ;D

Ontario is a good place to start settling in and finding a job, but sure is also very popular among almost 70 to 80% of all other newcomers, so bear in mind that the competition is really "killing" and in order to succeed you really need to use all and every resources you got being it either personally or materially.

In all my honestly, I don't know much about London, Barrie, Timmins (lots of Gold Mining there), Windsor and/or Hamilton, Brampton or Oakville, but if you are planning to move to Toronto, let me know when you are here, don't look up for a home in advane, because it has no use as long as you are not here physically to go and view the places and neighbourhoods and there are really like HUNDREDS of details most newcomers do not know and are not aware of when looking for a home here, but trust me. I 've met 3x real estate agents who are REALLY TRULY trustworthy and take their job seriously. One of them is my most fave as he is not a "shark". He lives within his own means, drives an old Pontiac that he has paid off himself and lives in a small home himself and is not aiming for the big money out there in Real Estate market.

I mean really ... I was downstairs today waiting for a friend to go walk the dogs together and there was this Real Estate agent, female one, with two couples waiting for the keys etc and I WON'T EVEN THINK OF asking her or her alikes to help me find a "home". I so much wanted to talk to the two couples and help them out, but since they did look down on me and treated me like a "foreigner", I let them go and become a victim. Like I Care! 8)

I 've studied Psychology and can tell who is honest and who is not. This one, will be now praying to her GOD to get the deal done and so she can run to her dealer and pay off her EXPENSIVE Mercedes! believe me, all bought on a loan big time! no class, no style, but EGO big time. yeaks!

Anyway ...

Which parts of town are good to live in? ... anywhere but " Sheppard and Jane" ... Spadina/Bloor, Bathurst/Bloor, Yonge/Eglinton, Sheppard, North York/Yonge, College, Carlton, and Danforth are good to start with. Bloor East is also a good start, but I don't know what your budget is and what you like.

In my neighbourhood which is very centrally located, if you want to live in a one bedroom condo and in a rather old, but I emphasize compfy safe condo, you might end up paying like 1100 to 1250 and if you go for new condo's, sure 1400 to 1600 a month. A bit farther down the "downtown", either north or west or east, you pay less and you can find bigger homes. But believe me, in real world, you may find a good deal, skip the "cyber" world because that is really not my style now I 've found out how much else is out there you can find than on internet.

Whatever you do, whatever you look for, whatever your wish is, whatever your price range is, just be patient!!!! :)

Make sure and give yourself at least 3 weeks time at a hotel/suite so you 've all the time to just foucs on house hunt. YMCA sure can help you find a good deal and start rightly! When you land, I strongly advice you to visit the nearest YMCA center and register yourself. You 'd be amazed how much information they can give you.

I myself am right now starting to realize that I might be better off buying a home. If you can pay down 35% of the mortgage loan, you don't need to even have a job in here in order to qualify for a mortgage loan and buy a home. If you can do that, then do so.

As soon as I 've me a job that pays well, I start looking for the chance to buy and the real estate agent I told you about, will be my choice and help me find a suitable home.

If you want to live in Mississauga and/or Scarborough, you might be sure way cheaper when renting. But I won't choose any of both. Mississuage is better than Scarborough. I just the other day hear on TV telling that there have been like 11 shootings there! :eek: so.. NO, please... downtown might be expensive, but Oh gosh it is so safe here and I am so happy I live in the Gaybourhood...so safe here! :)

Now this is really disturbing news ... maybe good, maybe not...

But regarding the Irish debt crisis and ever expanding the debt crisis across Europe, they 've been telling in the media that 28.000 Irish nationals have been admitted a temporary work permit since January 2010 and there will be another 65.000 soon to be arriving in Canada as of January 2011!

And in total, there will be more than 128.000 Irish nationals who are now seeking for jobs abroad and Canada is the most favourite place for them to enter given the fact that at least 4.000.000 Canadians somehow related to Ireland. Nothing wrong with this, but one should keep in mind that also lots of Spanish, British and now even Italians and Greek are seeking for a better life and above all, JOBS, in Canada!

Last year, like all the previous years, there were 250.000 newcomers to Canada, but in 2011 there will be more than 350.000 newcomers most of whom moving to Toronto! ... 100.000 newcomers a year enter Toronto only! ... not all of them seek for a job as off course half of them are either women and children, but sure, the competition is "huge". I notice that myself too. Nothing wrong with it, but if one is really "lazy", he/she better stay away and give himself/herself some more time in prior to moving.

And I myself, if I now will hear any HIGH educated INDIAN, Pakistani, Hong Kong Chinese and/or Taiwanees telling me they want to move to Canada for a better job, especially to those from USA and/or US citizens with already a good job, I say: think twice! .. don't give up something you already have.

I did have a good job in the Netherlands for sure, but I am not really high educated, I am honest in that. For me, sky is the limit here.

In the Netherlands, I was an immigrant myself, I started with scratch and I really fought for my life to get me to somewhere "high and dry" and Netherlands is really not the most fun and best place for people like me who are honest, friendly, want to make friends and who are ambitious and/or just work hard.

You 've to forget your own culture, set aside all that you are brought up with and forget your own cultural values, one should integrate according to the law and become " Dutch". One should start eating Dutch food, if you can call it cuisine, you don't know anything better in life. Then the language, you should learn to speak the language and if not fluentely and without an accent, forget getting a job, unless you are some MBA person and the employer wants you badly and is an internationally operating company, or else, forget it. You might not even find a job as street cleaner! :mad:

But I did manage ... I blend in, I did fight and I did endeavour prejudices and prejudgements and a whole lot more misery. I started low and climbed up the ladder slowly. There, if you are a foreigner and you do your job well, they will keep you low and at your spot forever and forget 'growth" and a better position in the company, been there done that, many tears has flown because I 've first handedly seen how some silly idiot got the job I 've applied for after really proving myself and working hard towards that and just because of being " foreigner" .... never got a chance.

In the Netherlands, the employer is by law forced to extend the contract three times ONLY! 2x 6 months contracts followed by a 1x year contract and/or 2x one year contrats and 1x half year and then, they easily get rid of you, coming with an excuse to lay you off. Easily done!

No wonder why my resume is from here to Tokyo!!!! ??? ... Really worked hard and each time, disappointment followed! Canada is a piece of cake for me, as long as I can get somewhere and prove myself, I know I can make it. Because here, at least people take you seriously and is all about competition.

In the Netherlands ,there is no need for competition, because no matter whatever you do, the government will look after you. So, why bother? ::) right?

Nobody is really Rich and/or really poor. 80% of the population is living on the same foot. Rich people live in a few small towns like a ghetto and that is it.

They don't know what Haute Couture is, Santa Claus, Thanksgiving, Halloween, all that jazz is non existant and if so, on a much smaller scale and they have this saying " Do gewoon, dan doe je al gek genoeg" meaning: Do as you do, you act already like a crazy! ;) .. so, no wonder there is not Black Friday or Cyber Monday and/or long queues for a new iPhone 4 and/or what so ever that is new.

Here, it is different ...

If you do possess the "X" factor, you can make it, if not so, then you really won't or will end up wondering why you ever made that choice or give up things you already had.

I am really working my A** off to get me to any point from which I can take off and go from there, but with really low expectations. I don't mind living in Nunavut like I told my friend today, as long as I can be here. Because here I am one of the many and can have peace on my mind and find the satisfaction I never could find in the Netherlands as an immigrant myself.

I really mean this, I have made more friends, I really mean reall friends friends, in 3 months time than in 18 years of living in the Netherlands.

They come to you and make friends with you purely out of curiousity, get to know and find all out about you and then leave again. ... like my only Dutch friend once told me: There are two things you can't trust in here, (Holland), 1. Weather (always rainy, cloudy, suddenly changing), 2. friendships (look like Weather)

The only people I knew there who I 'd some lunch or dinner at times with, were either from Indonesia and/or immigrants themselves, but the Dutch??? no ... not even one, there were many I met, but none who could stay befriend. Suddenly, I didn't hear from them and they were gone with the wind!

If I 've to go back, I have to and I will, but you bet I won't choose to age there. Then I rather go to England and/or Italy to live. But no ... I will stay here and try my best to root in and find my "new" home.

It is important to embrace this nation and this land as your new home, make it your new country and like I told a friend today, I feel like a Canadian because I feel like who I am really and 've found myself once again and after all these years, so if I can find my own "personality" back and be who I am and act as who I am, then I am "home" right?

No more pretence and/or hiding your real nature for me. No. ...

Come to Canada if you are sure you can find your new destiny and a good job and if you really trust yourself, but don't come here because you want the government and/or others to look after you or because you think they are standing there, waiting for you with open arms...then you are wrong.

They don't care who you are ... and I mean that .... as long as you can't show them you mean it and can achieve your goal and/or you are flexibel.

Honestly ,Honestly ...

I wish that more of you, I mean really more of you dear gents and ladies, from South Asia, Far East, Australia, New Zealand, Britain, Ireland, Russia, Poland, Philippines etc, could come to the Netherlands and other European countries and help with me to change the attitude there so we could have a better Europe to live in.

But since it is just a "dream" and a dream one shall never achieve, ... I stay here! ...thank you.

God Bless Canada and all Canadians and its government, being good or bad, after your money or not, recognizing your skills or not, needing you or not, at least here I am who I am. Even if I have to go back to that "sleepy hollow" :-X :-\, at least I 've lived for a while and can still know for myself that I was " Alive" and that I am still who I am.
:)

Good luck to all of you ...

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Charlotte, I think you are missing your true calling: star of your own daytime soap opera, titled "Charlotte's Big Adventure", or "Adventures in Charlotte Land".