+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My expriences so far ... first two days in Toronto!!!

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
I am sure if you are determined and have confidence in yourself, you can achieve your goals, but it also takes efforts and lots of sweat and misery to get to the starting point and go from there and once it starts to accelerate, then it will not be difficult to get to the point where you want to end up at.

This is the beginning for me and I know that office environment and corporate enivornment is where I feel the best at and working in other industries can have the result that you start to forget things or that future employers won't take you because you stayed behind with the latests and so it does make it necessary to keep up with the latest through study and all and that is also what I am going to do and should do to keep improving my skills and rediscovering myself.

I have not set a goal for myself and aim at something much better, but need to take my time to get that. Maybe in very near future, but that only if it is meant to be for me.

But don't forget to be prepared for trouble and boundaries here as it isn't what it seems to be, it is a new place where one should adapt and that adaption can be more difficult than it appears to be. It can be brutal to make sure one does notice you or does give you a second chance.

But don't give up on yourself at any time which I didn't and won't do either. At least as I write now and I know I am not working at Scotiabank, I can look back and be proud of myself and happy to have been among people who taught me things and took time to communicate with me and were helping me finding my way and that is just so amazingly great and boosting confidence and approval.

At Scotiabank, I didn't gain that much work experience because it wasn't that different than much I was doing already back in NL, but I did receive the approval and the appreciation I much needed to know and feel that I am one with all and all with one! ... :)

Ah well ... Funny though, BMO bank rejected my candidacy through Adecco, while Scotia did approve me via ManPower! ... so I am sure the big loser here is not me, but somebody else and I want BMO knows that even when I make big money, I shall never and ever think of investing my money in their bank and my answer to all their advertisement will be: Duh!!!! Go Away! ;D

Enfin, ... No matter what you do, don't forget to try ManPower first. Kelly Services is also good and takes you seriously, but I somehow have discovered that the colour blue is not my colour ( Randstad and BMO! hahahaha) ...

Ok, I am going to redeem some Scene points now and enjoy a movie.

Oh btw, if you need to travel to Downtown using subway during rush hours, make sure that as around 8:15 you have the chance to find room in the train regarding the huge masses who travel around the time and due to the frequency of the trains travelling in between the stations, you can just relax and have two or three tains pass by and so you can get yourself a bit of more room and travel in comfort and then the same is better to do after 5:30. You ll be at home on time, but at least it ll be a comfy trip.

Southbound trains during rush hours and Northbound trains during evening rush hours are really busy around 8am and 5pm.

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25th 2009 ( at Sydney)
LANDED..........
December 29th
Hey Charlotte!
Looks like your boyfriend's arrival did the trick!!!
Best to you both. I see you as Canadian settlers before long.
And guess what, I bank with Scotiabank too ;D

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
Nice!!!!! Did they give you a Visa Card too? hopefully they did.

I try to use my credit card for most of my purchases to earn points on my Scene card.

I am going to find me a house doctor now I can focus more on other stuff and off course starting to hunt for a new place to live, something a bit larger and hopefully with more day light, sun light to be specific. I lack that in this condo.

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25th 2009 ( at Sydney)
LANDED..........
December 29th
Yup, part of the new settler welcome package!!

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
26-07-2010 (Aug.6 rec'vd by Ottawa)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
I got the scene card too, moneymaster and scotia no fee moneyback visa as well :) need to build my credit history so i can apply for a telus mobile phone.

Congratulations on getting a job charlotte! I just landed in canada last february 4 and have started sending out my resume this past week. Crossing my fingers, hope i'll get a call for an interview.

You seem happier now, having a loved one with you really makes a difference doesn't it?

Enjoy the rest of the weekend :)

Saudi

Dec 24, 2010
Congrats Charlotte......

a job at a luxury hotel?? wouldn't ask for more ( free shampoo and body lotion supplies) :p

try to stick to this job for longer time just to show some loyalty in you CV unless you get a well-paid job in your field.

I wish you all the best in your new challenge.

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
:D you are funny Saudi.... the best Shampoo's or Soap's you can only find at Waldorf Astoria Hotels which is part of the HHonors group " The Hilton Family' and if one does pay the rather expensive rate for the Suites, one will be treated to "Aqua di Parma" products which are sure one of my faves and they smell so lovely.

Aqua di Parma is a brand on its own and their perfume and other body/hair products are just lavishly refreshing and lovely to indulge yourself with.

But at Starwood Hotels they too have great brands and stuff.

I just signed my 6 months part-time (24 hours a week minimum) contract with the Hotel and will be on probation for the first 50 scheduled shifts and the hourly rate is a bit more than $15 dollar an hour and if I succesfully finish my probation periode and the 6 months contact, I will be earning more than $16 dollars an hour and as like most Hotels out there, they are all Unionized and I really need to get into details and read the booklet I am given to get familiar with the whole Union thing and find out what they offer or will do for me.

All I understand is that I have to pay like $15.10 per pay check to the Union which is due as a sort of protection fee each employee pays so to be protected right?

I guess here we go and I encounter something I didn't know about and a topic we should discuss further in detail together to inform new immigrants and those who are already in and might get into such jobs.

In the meantime, I have applied for a job at Scotiabank and hopefully I might be able to get a job there because I just love their Building and the whole work place culture there and off course the fact it is so downtown and I much enjoy hang around and among people in business suites and all that who are nicely groomed, chic and elegant and the shops are so fun and all is so clean and fun.

I went to YMCA today on my way back home and told them about my latest experiences and offered them my passion and love for workshops and If I would be able to join their workshops as a volunteer and be of an inspirational driving source and share my thoughts and experiences with them being one of the most busiest newbe's in Toronto and one who has had more job interviews in 1,5 month than most other new immigrants and having had gone through many online assessments and questionnaires as to get skilled with how to proceed with interviews and act during such etc to get the jobs and leave a great impression etc and also because I do really care and want each and everybody to be positive, don't despair and be successful and so they liked the idea and who knows, someday sooner or later, I will be able to participate in their workshops and share my wisdom and expertise with the future newbe's.

This means I won't give up on this Topic and finish it here, as my journey is just starting and there will be a whole lot more we need to do and find out to get settled.

Now I have to focus on a job for my hubby and coach him a bit while he is looking for a job and also see if I can find a bigger place to live in with a parking and daylight /sunlight closer to my work because I am sure they will extend my job contract after this 6 months periode. Because I know myself and am sure I will leave a good impression and will do my job excellently and because I am a perfectionist and have to do my job the best way.

Anyway ...

God Bless you all ...

Happy Valentine's day to all you ...

I might be going to Real Sports Bar at Maple Leaf Square to celebarte my new job and to toast on a better future and sure I don't not regret my choice of staying here in Canada and not going back when I got stuck here! And am glad hubby is also here and can decided to leave his employer who loves to play with him and find a stable position and a good job here in Canada.

So, we may never hear somebody else tell us: You are going to Canada, oh no, come back, we need you here in the Netherlands after all, Oh wait, we might now send you to Wellington, New Zealand and at the end saying: Ah sorry, we need you here (NL = Holland) after all.

HE is now here on a 2 months leave or "vacation", one paid and one unpaid leave and all I hope for is that he finds a job in his field, IT, Oracle DBA and stay here and he so much wants to send a short Email to his manager in Amsterdam stating" Sorry, find somebody else, I shall not return, ba'byeeeee!" :p

Happy Valentine :-*

PG

Dec 21, 2010
Oh buddy,

Congratulations for your achievements, including the partner's company....celebration for the new job and that too on Valentines day!

Well, I already told you the things change 180 degree when you have "someone" with you. Wherever you go, it takes at least a year in earliest to set in a decent job. One thing is sure, the continental Europe (UK is different) makes the people like a "boy" even if they are in the height of a career, things work differently here...I am feeling the same. I hope your "boy" also will grow up and find a decent way to make you happy!

I already told you I was following you to decide whether or not, or when to move to Canada. Now, I think I can also follow the track there in my profession. Though its totally different than yours...being for more than 6 years in the field of Biotechnology..as an expert..(at least I believe).. May be have to start a job from Wall Mart or IKEA (I love them!) to survive and having a dream of work in a leading position in a Biotech field in North America...Oh its 11:00 PM EST and time to go to bed...waiting to read more! (in my view, don't disclose internal and job related issues in depth....)

Well, lets see...how the life goes...of course, once I am there, I will be happy to meet you people! But I guess my move will be still about a year away from now, that also depending on a job. As being out of field for few months could be catastrophic in my field.

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
PG, by the time you get here, hopefully, the World's economy will have picked up and am sure you won't even need to find a job at Wall Mart or IKEA or Home Depot here. You will be just fine but please bear in mind that regardless of what job you are going to look for and which recruiter you are going to ask for help, they might send you these online assessments to evaluate your connaissance of Word, Excel, Access and the jazz out there and perhaps you better learn all about macro's, sheets, workbooks, data bases and all and at least if you can't find a job in BioTech. you would be then find a job in an office or at an Help Desk.

And Please please please, learn French! 1 YEAR is long enough to teach you all the basics of the French language and to even help you become advanced in speaking, writing and understanding French.

My French is on a level that I am capable of following conversations, writing and all that but a bit poor when speaking simply because I mix up all the languages I know and if I speak French, then I speak English in a poor way and upside down! with a terrible accent off course, I don't now why, but I become so French, I totally mess up my English! but then again, thanks to this Bi-Lingualism, I was able to secure a few good jobs so far.

And in fact, one of my most cherished plans now is to improve my French asap, even though the French here could be given in Quebecois, I will not fear losing the polished posh pretty Parisienne accent I have but at least be a certified bi-lingual in a year from now.

So, just practice

and Golden Rule to any newcomer who wants to secure a good " survival" job asap here?

LEARN FRENCH! ;D

humsafar

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with initial application
IELTS Request
Sent with initial application
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS 19-10-2011
Med's Request
20-07-2012
Med's Done....
25-08-2012 received in London 31-08-2012
Congratulations Charlote,

Its good to learn that you finally landed a Job, may be not as per your dream but alteast some thing which enables you to plan your life ahead.

May God bring all the happiness and blessings in you future life.

PG

Dec 21, 2010
CharlotteJ said:
PG, by the time you get here, hopefully, the World's economy will have picked up and am sure you won't even need to find a job at Wall Mart or IKEA or Home Depot here. You will be just fine but please bear in mind that regardless of what job you are going to look for and which recruiter you are going to ask for help, they might send you these online assessments to evaluate your connaissance of Word, Excel, Access and the jazz out there and perhaps you better learn all about macro's, sheets, workbooks, data bases and all and at least if you can't find a job in BioTech. you would be then find a job in an office or at an Help Desk.

And Please please please, learn French! 1 YEAR is long enough to teach you all the basics of the French language and to even help you become advanced in speaking, writing and understanding French.
Thank you dear.
All the best and wish you and your H/BF happy settlement.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
And in fact, one of my most cherished plans now is to improve my French asap, even though the French here could be given in Quebecois, I will not fear losing the polished posh pretty Parisienne accent I have but at least be a certified bi-lingual in a year from now.

[/quote]

Actually, Charlotte, some of the worst joual I ever heard was on the streets of Paris. The best accents? In Quebec City and in Belgium, where they take real care with accents and grammar.

In an increasingly cosmopolitan world -- and Toronto is certainly that -- I am not sure that knowing French is the key to good employment. Knowing Mandarin might be a better move. We'll know in a decade or two which language is the more useful. :)

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
With all due respect Toby, the Paris and Parisienne accent I know is not the one most people in Paris might hear.

I 've been growing up with French people and Parisienne mostly who do really speak the most sophisticated French accent ever and when they speak, you really enjoy listening to them.

But then again, you are right, Quebecois is a nice fun dialect of French too and actually, old French when they speak it.

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Hi CJ,

Congratulations on the new job and wish you good luck for the Scotiabank job. Have been following your brave endeavours for some time and like many others have been going with your ups and downs and the final reunion with your partner.

Your journey is inspirational and thank you for tirelessly sharing it on the forum - despite days when you are most tired.

With your permission, had quick questions for you or the forum readers (bit of a digression but thought you might know):
1) We plan to be in Brampton for nearly a month from April 6 onwards and were looking for an accommodation for my wife and 18 month old baby. safehomestay.com and studio6 are not options as none of them are in Brampton area. Was checking kijiji.com - very confusing.
2) Also looking for a cheap and reliable car rental for the period.

Any info would be great!
Cheers
Nav

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
big surprise for all you people..

I AM FED UP WITH CANADA... not the kind of place I can live in.

Am returning home ... soon ...

I am going back to the Netherlands.

I have many reasons as to tell you why I decide to do this, but believe me, Canada is not the promised land. It wasn't, it isn't and it shall never be as long as the system is so cruel and so unfair.

Goodbye all.

End of my Topic!