+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My expriences so far ... first two days in Toronto!!!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
toby said:
Hi Charlotte:

Interesting reading, your adventures in Canada. Thanks for taking the time.

You make several comments on cultural differences, and I recall well your views of Holland. If it is not too personal a question, would you tell us what is your birth country?

You mention that several companies asked for your PR card. But you just landed a few weeks ago, right? So how did you get the PR card so quickly?

You also mentioned that Rogers insisted on knowing your SIN number. But you told them you didn't yet have a SIN.

I recall others advising that giving out a SIN number greatly increases the chances of identity theft. Apparently there are only a few companies legally entitled to insist on seeing one's SIN number: for example a bank must know your SIN where it will be sending tax slips to CRA for interest paid to you. But Rogers? I doubt it.

So, did Rogers offer any proof other than saying they had this right?
Hi Toby,

As u r well aware (I know that u r), we do not give out our SIN to anyone, come what may. Except to the bank (while opening an a/c only) & to our employers. In fact, the Service Canada reminded me of that while providing me the SIN printout.

Your above observation is perfect!

Regards,

Qorax

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
Thank you all for your comments and support on my behalf and my writing. I try to help as many as possible as in withing the lines and the daily stuff coming my way and crossing my path, people will be able to find out about the unexpected issues such as how to apply for a mobile phone etc.

Yes, qorax, Noone is allowed to ask for your SIN, but since shortly, phone companies as such are allowed to do so, when dealing with new immigrants and in case of fraude and/or problems identifying customer's origin etc.

Rogers sure did ask for two pieces of identification, either a driving license, a PR card and/or a passport. In my case, since I knew having both my passport number and my PR might cause trouble and confuse the system, I told them that I 've a PR card with me and my SIN. He accepted the PR card for sure and knowing that I 've been using a prepaid simcard at the moment which was registered in their system under my passport number and with an address that obviously wasn't real, fictive, he couldn't get it all done and had to clean up the system and convince their system that I am who I am and really me and not a fraudulent person or else, so he asked me for my SIN but before doing so, he explained that to me that he can reassure me that under special conditions and given the circumstantces he was much obliged to ask for my SIN and if I wasn't OK with that, I could speak to his manager and this was all happening inside the headquarter itself and also confirmed by his other colleagues. So, I provided him with my SIN and yes, then after a lot of misery and playing with the system, he was able to modify the already existing and incorrect personal information and correct my profile and get me my contract.

But believe me, they are and may ask you for your SIN. After all, this is Canada, if you say No and leave, the chance you get a deal somewhere else is almost zero since even other providers have to deal with Roger's and their channels.

But aside of that, I am sure NOBODY and really Nobody is allowed to ask for the SIN unless a bank and/or CRA is involved etc.

in the meantime, busy busy busy with buying my stuff and prepare the condo to move in asap and it is funny to know that like 60% of the building is still empty. I rent this condo a few days ago and now I find out that my neighbour wants to lease out her condo, just like mine, same condition and on a higher level with better view and blinds/shutters included for less monthly rate? I pay like 1400$ a month, and she asks for 1380 a month!

Gosh, I am so angry at my landlord.... I pay more, had to buy me my blinds/curtians, although for a bargain and installed really fast knowing this guy that was kind enough to make exceptions and ask not more than was necessary while mostly it shall take like 3 weeks to have your curtains installed and hang and also like 3000$ on avearge, I paid less than half and got it all in 4 days! custom made again. ...

Wish I 'd waited a bit longer and now I could at least go and live in a condo on a higher floor, with awesome view (a four season view I say), all utilities included except Hydro off course, just like me, all kitchen appliances brand new, the tenant should remove the boxes and paper wrapping himself/herself! and all that for less than the amount I pay?! that is not fair.

Anyway... I guess I may not complain since I am living on a prime location anyway.

Soon, when I am settled in, I shall write more and in details, especially on people I 've met, things they 've said, what I 've discovered and all regarding settlements, furniture, where to pay attention etc.

ONE important thing though: ... if you plan to buy a sofa, chair and/or anything else that needs to be delivered and is large, be aware of the fact that if you do not measure the hallway, doors, enterances, rooms etc properly and forget to inform the sales person about that and you later find out the sofa might be too big to til over and push in what so ever and sent back again, less likely the chance you will get your money back! the only other option available for you will be to reselect another sofar and/or item at the shop and forget the refund!

YEP! that was my experience folks!!!! not fun at all, but well, I hope the next sofa will be small enough to be fitting in through the enterance hall. ;)

Ah well ... you will learn new things each day eh? ;D

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25th 2009 ( at Sydney)
LANDED..........
December 29th
Fun reading as usual Charlotte!
BTW, whats the difference between "hydro" and "electricity" in Canada?
Are they the same?
Also do we pay heating bils in addition to electricity bills?

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Honolulu said:
Fun reading as usual Charlotte!
BTW, whats the difference between "hydro" and "electricity" in Canada?
Are they the same?
They are the same. "Hydro" is a Canadianism, because almost all of the crown corporations that deal with electricity supply have "Hydro" in the name (Toronto Hydro, Hydro One, HydroQuébec, BC Hydro, etc.), regardless of how the electricity is generated.

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
Thank you dear!

Hydro is indeed the same as Electricity. As a tenant it will be wise to check with the landlord whether " Heat" is included in the lease contract, especially if this concerns a townhouse, detached house and/or an apartment, but not necessarily for a condo.

Condo living does offer a few advantages one of which is the fact that they are smaller in size and yet warmer during the winter and the more I speak to people who live in condo's, the more I hear them saying how happy they are not paying too much for the heating.

I applied for Internet and basic digital TV this morning. I asked them for a good deal or a bundel given the fact I already am a client and use a Rogers simcard, so they came up with this bundel of both TV and Internet, first 3 months free plus free installation but also saving up to $ 108,45 per month on the bill! Which is nice.

BUT ... again, they asked for 2x pieces of ID, a driving license, CANADIAN credit card and passport, I told them that I carry a PR status which was fine, no Canadian CC yet and no driving license, then the sales person on the phone told me that in this case Rogers is allowed to ask for SIN and my bank account number in order to check whether I am indeed living here and plan to live here and to check my balance and even came up with a printed version of the rules and didn't insist on me giving out my SIN etc to her in order for her to have my request processed and issued, since they were like 10 other people behind me waiting in the line, so I agreed and hopefully within a few days I 'd be able to access internet from home and watch some TV.

Went to IKEA, but am disappointed, IKEA here is a bit different than the one back home in Europe where there are Waaaaaaaaaaaaay more choices and stuff to buy, especially the basics! so I only bought the basic stuff and yes, it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper to try IKEA.

Also, a VERY VERY GOOD option for people who want to get buy cheap but also in higher quality, Winners is a good place to start shopping.

The best Winners shop is located on College Park, downtown Toronto, but there is also one right very close across the street on Bloor and from ROM, Royal Ontario Museum, but also in North York, on Finch/Sheppard there is a big one.

Also went to " Bombay" in Yorkdale mall where currently many items are discounted, some up to 50% and for some other basic stuff it can be a good place to find what you need.

Tired and exhausted, came back to condo and met the lady who gave me the keys to her condo, a bigger one, one bedroom plus den, with a locker (really nice to store a lot of stuff in it, I saw it and gosh it was more than one can wish for) and blinds already installed in the condo, a much larger and longer balcony than mine, bigger living room and the den is really lovely, hard wooden floors (Maple Leaf wood) in dark bruin, all utilities included and she asks only 1450 for it and is OK to negotiate on the price since she is moving to Asia for her job for at least a year. I wish I could have her condo, but sadly I already have signed a contract for a year leasing. Just when I thought I was lucky, I stumble upon this opportunity and am disappointed in my landlord who doesnt even give me a locker and whose condo has not a den! ... yeah ... bad timing I suppose.

At least pets are allowed in her condo! ;D

It is funny that I hear that people already buy and pay for condo's in the new project that should be built YET and will be ready in 2014!!!! well, that is a huge difference with Europe as far as I am concerned. People only pay for a mortgage when the house is really built and does exist! Here, nope! you buy out of thin air and wait for it to be rising. :eek:

I discovered a HUGE supermarket just one block from my condo, a " Dollarama" as well which is such a treat when one does need to buy plenty of small stuff and cheap too, A dry cleaning, a Pizzeria that is open 24/7!!!, a KFC that is open until midnight and also discovered that there are "guest suits" inside our building for the family who visit us. Instead of paying for a hotel, they can stay with family yet have their own suite in the building and for a bargain too actually. :) That is fun so I can have my Mom visiting me and not forced to be booked into a hotel far away or in busy financial district.

And I checked my mail and found my SIN card among them!!! wow, I was happy. It indeed did arrive WITHIN 2 weeks! took just 9 days to have them being mailed. Good eh???

Regarding a Canadian Credit Card: I am not sure if a maximum limit of 500$ is really worth applying at all???? helloooo ... what on Earth can you buy with 500$ in Toronto?? maybe a few times grocery shopping? :p

I don't care if my application will be approved and card will be issued! duuuaaahhhhhh to the bank. If I find a job and save 50$ a month, I will have saved way more than what the bank wants me to spend! So, don't worry about a Canadian Credit History unless you want to buy a home.

Anyway ... gotta go now,

to be continued...

p.s.: for those among you who might read this and shall be landing in (near) future, do not forget to create an account with your airliner so to earn points, I truly do recommend this as I still to this date, am redeeming points and enjoying many good deals with my airmiles.

The more you travel in between the better so to earn more airmile poins, that for sure, so if you plan to make your first landing and return home again as to re-enter Canada later, don't forget to become member of an airliner that participated either Star Alliance or One World programs.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
CharlotteJ said:
Regarding a Canadian Credit Card: I am not sure if a maximum limit of 500$ is really worth applying at all???? helloooo ... what on Earth can you buy with 500$ in Toronto?? maybe a few times grocery shopping? :p
Charlotte:

Even with a low limit of $500, the credit card will serve as a valid piece if ID -- so that you don't get pressed to reveal your SIN. Second, I make many purchases online for less than $500 per purchase, and this requires a credit card. Third, once you establish a good history of paying the balances (or minimum payment ) on time, the bank will quickly raise your limit to a more useful level.

satish_lkb

Nov 1, 2009
Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2009
Doc's Request.
16-12-2009
AOR Received.
26-01-2010
File Transfer...
16-12-2009
Med's Request
20-08-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
18-01-2011 Decision made 08-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-02-2011
LANDED..........
08-07-2011
Dear CJ,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR WONDERFUL EXPERIENCES!!

Me and my family planning to land next year beginning and we plan to settle somewhere near North York/Finge/Scarborough.

Your experience sharing is really a blessing for us.

Please do share your views again.

Wishing you a happier life in Canada.

All the best.

Satish

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
LANDED..........
December 29th
YorkFactory said:
They are the same. "Hydro" is a Canadianism, because almost all of the crown corporations that deal with electricity supply have "Hydro" in the name (Toronto Hydro, Hydro One, HydroQuébec, BC Hydro, etc.), regardless of how the electricity is generated.
Thanks Y'factory.
So electricity bills are different from heating bills then?
And all of this is in addition to water bills?
I was getting a bit confused seeing the advertisements.
(I haven't landed yet)

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Honolulu said:
Thanks Y'factory.
So electricity bills are different from heating bills then?
And all of this is in addition to water bills?
I was getting a bit confused seeing the advertisements.
(I haven't landed yet)
Not necessarily. Heating could be done either thru Gas or Elect. If it's the latter, u get the same bill.

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
LANDED..........
December 29th
Thanks Qorax, thanks all.
I feel great to be going to a society that produces clean electricity!!!

Robins

Oct 4, 2010
First of all, welcome to Canada. :)
Secondly, it is ok to want to live among the people and culture you are comfortable with.
Lastly, there are bad areas in every city in the world.

Enjoy your Autumn and give yourself a fantastic looong vacation to Quebec, the Maritime provinces, Prairies, and Westcoast. :D

hmm.. that must quite a culture shock for you. ;D

CharlotteJ said:
To make this even worse, I go and buy a hot dog and the "Greek" guy selling the hotdogs, asked me where I do come from. I answered and told him why I am here too and what I just had been told. He went like mad too and started to downtalk on me either and really truly openly telling me to go back to Europe as it won't be fair to be here as a European while people from India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Greece, Africa or South America or places of Conflict or war like Tamil should be here and be safe and happy. AS if it is my fault to be an European!

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
Thank you so much Robins ... comforting thoughts indeed :)

I try my best..

Been away for a few days and oh so busy as heck. People, whoever reads this and is planning to come and settle in, I personally am taking care of stuff that requires 4 hands, 6 heads and pairs of eyes, ears and a few mouths, a car, driver and all but all on my own and so far so good, so if you ever start to doubt about yourself and if you are doing the right thing, I am doing it already and it is all fine, so you will be fine too, and if you are with family and have close relatives and/or family here too or have secured a job, then take it easy and be good.

Normally one should reckon on 2 months to really start settling in, but in my case I am doing it all in just 5 weeks! Anyway ...

I want to share this one with you for sure:

Shopping / Grocery:

I found out that Shopper Drug Mart has started to compete with many larger super markets and so they also sell Milk, Eggs, Cereals, Juices etc and at a lower price. So, check at the closest Shoppers Drug Mart where you live and see if they do sell these and you bet they are cheaper.

Apply for a Shoppers Drug Mart customer card, called: Optimum card. Get yourself one and start earning points. Even if you do small grocery and/or buy toothpaste, tissue's etc, you shall easily earn points and from time to time, get items for free or with discount. OK?

Secondly, IF you want to buy good stuff, at reasonable prices for your home, just go to Home Outfitters, they have loads of high quality stuff, way cheaper than at The Bay (in case you buy some stuff there) and offering great space efficient options for in rather small condo's in here. You apply for a Hudson Company Rewards card and also earn points at either The Bay, Zellers and/or Home Outfitters.

If you 've bought anything at Zellers or The Bay, keep the receipts and go to Guest Services of any Bay close to you and ask them to register the points on your card. This helps really well to use special offers and discounts when needing to purchase new stuff or if you shop online.

Banking:

VERY imporant for those of you who struggle with a bank account.

I was told to choose for CIBC last year when I did my first landing by a few local people who I met and became friend with and so I did.
Re-entering Canada a few weeks ago, I went to CIBC bank branch close to my hotel and opened a Chequing account and had them register my SIN into the account which is necessary and a few days later, when I 'd an address, went back to provide them with my new address etc.

All well but they didn't tell me that I better not choose for Paperless option, why? I had a paperless savings account last year given the fact I was not here and didn't want my family whose address I had used to open the account, see my bank account statements. OK? wise choice and sure a good advice to follow by CIBC.

BUT NOT when you re-enter Canada and just have found your new home and condo.

I try to apply for my Health Card already 3 times.

First time, their system was down nationwide, so I 'd to come back. Second time, long long queue and almost closing time, so I decided to go and come back another day. Third time, on a Thursday evening, after 5 o'clock, please note that OHIP is open until late, till 7 o'clock on Thursday and Friday's, so better to go there late in the afternoon. So, third time I am there, happy and glad I made it this time, then I hear: do you have your PR card? Yes, I do.

Do you have your COPR document with you? Yes, I do.

Do you have a driving license? No, I don't. ehhhmmmm.... Do you have a Utility bill instead on which is shown you 've an address and live here? No, it is the first month I live here and am waiting for the very first pay due to be processed and billed. Ehmmmmm .... Do you have a bank account statement instead that IS MAILED to your address instead M'me? No, I don't have that either, because I 've chosen for Paperless option that my own bank did told me to choose.

Oh, M'me, I am so sorry, but your bank should have told you that you better, once you 've an address and it is confirmed and lease contract is signed, to NOT choose for paperless and have your bank account statements being mailed to you for some time just in case you might need it for anything, anywhere.
So, please go and come back another day when you 've at least one of the above mentioned documents! all the best and goodbye.

I was ... yep!

Disappointed for sure ... Another option would have been my leasing contract for the condo, BUT then you have to hand in the ORIGINAL lease contract and not the copy of it. They don't accept the copy, oK? so, do your math and use your head if you are going to apply for your health card soon.

Be prepared...

Then ... here is the good one:

I went to CIBC bank branch next to me this morning, waiting and waiting, staff unfriendly and not really well informed, they say: Oh, sorry to hear that, we can now change that but please bear in mind that it is already near the end of the month and the last statements are already mailed so you need to wait until mid November when you will have your very first bank account statement and then go to OHIP> I am not that happy but hey, what else can I do eh?

Then I remember another issue and try to fix that one: hey, why my partner did receive a Credit Card from CIBC as we have both applied for it but not me? could you please take a look at it?

Yes, sure M'me. A few moments later, she turns to me and with a quite sad face and kind of agitated, she replies: Sorry, but we had forgotten to apply for a Credit Card on your name upon request, so, do you want me to help you apply for it now? Ehmmm.... hey, that is not fun at all, I thought that I was rejected or not approved etc, never got an answer, and now this?
She replied: it happens when the advisor isn't doing his/her job properly, we apologize for the inconvenience. Ok, how long does it take to get me a Credit Card and start building a healthy CC history then? ... ehmmm... a few days, perhaps two weeks for sure. OkAY and what will be the maximum? oh, just like 500$ and you can work up to a higher amount in a few months if recorded positive bla bla bla.

I got mad and said: You know what honey? do you see the sign across the street? ( pointing at Scotia Bank) and continue saying: THAT IS A BANK! NOT THIS ugly worn out place! I am sorry, but you just lost a client, goodbye!

And as I said that, I hear this guy behind me wondering what was happening and so I told him the story in short and he appeared to be a new comer too and well, he decided to follow me.

We went to Scotia bank, in the meantime I see the girl following me from behind her desk and see if I am was joking or not, but no, I am not called Cruela de Vil for nothing! ... I went there, set up an appointment immediately and within half an hour I was received with a big smile by this lovely Australian gentleman who was so glad to help me out.

1 hour later, I stepped out of the Scotia Bank with a big wide small, having a new Chequing account, Savings account, Western Union Account, Safety Deposit Box, a Visa Credit Card maxed out to 1000$ and 4x cheques that I can use just in case (really handy and useful for those who rent a condo, I myself was asked to pay the first and last month due using a cheque by landlord, but had none and CIBC had to order them for me and didn't even give me any in advance, not even ONE, just in case! so go and figure how shocked I was that the guy handed me in 4x of them!!!!) and a beautiful bank card in red and with sparkles on it and a whole other bunch of possibilities to finance a car, or a mortgage etc.

The package is called: StartRight and includes:

1. Free Day to Day Banking for One Year
2. Build a credit history with a no-fee Scotia Moneyback VISA card and earn up to 1% moneyback reward every year on your card purchases
3. A free of charge Safety Deposit Box
4. A specially designed financing at select dealerships to buy a car!
5. Grow your savings with Scotia Bank's Money Master Savings account
6. Western Union Money Transfer services at Scotia Bank
7. Get a specially designed Mortgage, solution to assit one in purchasing a home in Canada
8. One Year Cashable Guaranteed Investement Certificate (GIC) with an Interest Rate Bonus
9. Purchase Gold and other precious metals, PM's, thorugh services provided by ScotiaMocatta at Scotia Plaza bank ONLY! not the branches
(but then you should be a milionair I suppose if you wanna buy gold eh? hahaha) anyway

And what did CIBC offered me? headaches, misery, spending money using my European VISA and MasterCard and now paying them off on time to maintain a good healthy credit history in Europe!!! duaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh and hours of waiting and waiting spent on nothing....

My advise for you:

DON'T GO TO CIBC, GO TO SCOTIA BANK!

All I can say and according to the bank themselves, they are the best and TD Bank is second. They have a better customer services but they don't do much in these regards anyway and offer not much.

So, what is more important? a cool customer service that works from Monday to Saturday but offering less options or a bank that starting November 1st is also going to open its Customer Services from Monday to Saturday, between 9 to 7?!!! and offers so many Options?

Scotia Bank off course

so, do you best and be good ...

To be continued ...

(and if you need a condo, let me know, my neighbour is looking for a tenant) :D

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
LANDED..........
December 29th
Love your posts!
Thanks a ton for all that information.
And the spirit that goes with it!!

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
Awwwww...That is really sweet of you :D

I also forgot to mention the fact that I cracked a back tooth this morning! Just like that...

So, picked up my iPhone, used this app. called " Around me" and searched for a "dentist", called the closest and did an inquiry on costs etc and to compare with back home in Europe.

I explained why I was calling for, then asked: how much will it cost to restore two surfaces since each tooth has like 5 surfaces? will it be like 500euros or something? but now in Dollars?

The guy told me: no, I guess less, let me check, hmmm ...maybe 450$ max!

Oh ok...good...I am not a shopper you know, it is my tooth, so can I set an appointment? ... bla bla bla

10 minutes later, I call another dentist and say: oh the X that I just called told me it will be like 460$ and I wonder if you would be more expensive or not? so I can make a good choice and go for the least and yessss, they came up with a lower price! .. see? play with them.

lol :p

Although, yeah, I am now suffering such pain when drinking/eating and have to wait until Tuesday but hey, it will be hurting me more when I am asked to pay like 1K! right?

The only thing they require for a new patient will be: come in 15 minutes earlier so to fill out a few forms and make up a new record for you and all will be set. They don't necessarily need your dentistry information from your own dentist at all. This while I took them all with me, so better not to for those who might tend to take care of this and all prior to travelling, it is only too much hassle I suppose.

telling you this, reminds me of another trick:

I saw this cute lovely Chinese chest that could perfectly fit in my small cando in a corner that couldn't be used otherwise, so I check the price and it was a bit pricy!

But I also noticed it was used as decoration in the shop where I was looking around and so after having the sales person noticing me and be wandering around there for like 30 minutes and have not said or bought anything, I on purpose walk toward the owner and when he greets me, I greet back and say: Oh, so many lovely stuff in here eh? ... oh yes, indeed, fun isn't it? Yes, all these decorations, make me wanna buy a lot of these stuff.

Oh good, nice to hear, then why are you waiting? ... I say: Ah ..well, you see, I am new to this town, bla bla bla, explain some stuff and then finish with: So, you see, I can't have that many stuff, small condo, tight budget bla bla bla ... I better just go home and come back some time next year eh?

Oh ... I am sorry to hear that ... well, hope to see you around soon again.

I walk towards the door, stop for a moment, take a look back at the chest and say: Oh .. wish I could buy that, for like X$ I would have bought it immediately and without hesitation and just take it with me you know!

Oh, that? ... well, let me check, wait .. maybe I can make you a good price.

HE goes to the back of the shop and returns after a few minutes offering me a price that IS withing my budget! ...

me happy, he happy, I am now looking at it standing tall in the best spot I could find for it at home :p

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
Supermarkets?

I found that " Nophrils" is a good start because prices are lower and a huge variety in goods and quality-wise: OK

But RABBA is better although a bit pricy, because there isn't such wide range of stuff that you can buy and so you can easier make your choice and get to know the goods available and get used to the tastes etc especially if most of it is new to you.