New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Visa recd on 24th Feb '14
Second Part
Thanks for all your responses. Here I am posting only what I have learned or experienced. Others may have different experiences. So, please take it that way. I don't need any +1 please
What I share is just my observations and experiences and with the objective to throw some light into what you are going to face. So, no controversies please. I wish you all success and great future in Canada.
During the first week of arrival, I managed to get a bank account with TD Canada Trust, which has more ATMs and branches all over in Ontario. Got my SIN- you just go to a “Service Ontario Center” and fill some forms, that's it. Upon landing I applied for PR card at the airport and it was delivered to my home address after 45 days. No big issue.
Now it's time for job hunt. Spent hours on online search, sent resumes but the responses were very limited. Who dares to hire a new comer without Canadian experience or education while hundreds stand on queues with all their requirements/qualifications. The interesting thing I noted is for every job fair, there are lot of jobless people, everywhere. Yes Toronto's unemployment rate is very high. Somehow, on the 15th day of I arrival, I managed to get job, entirely strange and new with minimum pay. I knew the start is not at all easy; it's really hard and need lot of enthusiasm and perseveration. Meanwhile I continued the search, attended a few interview with banks, offices (administrative positions) and some multinational companies
Work environment:
The Canada's work environment, I think, is entirely different. As I told you before, many offices, companies, outlets and coffee shops work round the clock, with 3 shifts. Every second is counted, no frequent breaks or leisure time and chit chats, always monitored by surrounding cameras/cctvs and supervisors. It's really tight. No guarantee for work, you may get an envelope with money for work at the end of your shift and a word “you'll get a call from the manager”- which means you are fired. The important thing that I learned from my experiences is we can't predict the behaviour and can't make sure the 3 ws in Canada-“Work, Women and Weather”
Another important thing you all should take care of is getting a driver's license. The people with minimum driving experience in India have more chances to get the Canadian Driver's License easier. Because here the roads, traffic rules and roads are entirely different. Canada really deserves an appreciation about her roads and traffic rules- they are almost perfect and praiseworthy. Here there are number of drivers' licenses starting with G1-written test, you have to score 80% in two sections-traffic rules and signs. Then G2-it's a road test for 15 minutes in rural and urban roads. If you pass both you are qualified for G license (highway test). It's not easy to get through all tests, really tight, because the licensing system is operated by a profit oriented private company “Serco DES operating as DriveTest, is a private company licenced by the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario” http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/Pages/default.aspx Driver's license is an important photo identity card, and life is really difficult without a car due to the extreme climatic conditions. NOTE: Remember to bring your previous driving experience/driving particulars in official letter head, which would help you to qualify directly to “G” after G1, otherwise G1-G2-G. Don't go to the test without sufficient preparation and practice, appear only when you are 100% confident, because it costs you lot of money and time. Here everybody obeys traffic rules contrary to our place, so, if you make a mistake it costs so much!!!
Will continue

tbaba

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2014
Nigeria
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/11/2014
Nomination.....
PER 12/03/2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
01-04-2015
Med's Request
24-07-2015
Med's Done....
27-07-2015
Interview........
Telephone interview on 25/02/2016
Passport Req..
29-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2016
LANDED..........
28-05-2016
TO DREAMLAND said:
Second Part
Thanks for all your responses. Here I am posting only what I have learned or experienced. Others may have different experiences. So, please take it that way. I don't need any +1 please
What I share is just my observations and experiences and with the objective to throw some light into what you are going to face. So, no controversies please. I wish you all success and great future in Canada.
During the first week of arrival, I managed to get a bank account with TD Canada Trust, which has more ATMs and branches all over in Ontario. Got my SIN- you just go to a “Service Ontario Center” and fill some forms, that's it. Upon landing I applied for PR card at the airport and it was delivered to my home address after 45 days. No big issue.
Now it's time for job hunt. Spent hours on online search, sent resumes but the responses were very limited. Who dares to hire a new comer without Canadian experience or education while hundreds stand on queues with all their requirements/qualifications. The interesting thing I noted is for every job fair, there are lot of jobless people, everywhere. Yes Toronto's unemployment rate is very high. Somehow, on the 15th day of I arrival, I managed to get job, entirely strange and new with minimum pay. I knew the start is not at all easy; it's really hard and need lot of enthusiasm and perseveration. Meanwhile I continued the search, attended a few interview with banks, offices (administrative positions) and some multinational companies
Work environment:
The Canada's work environment, I think, is entirely different. As I told you before, many offices, companies, outlets and coffee shops work round the clock, with 3 shifts. Every second is counted, no frequent breaks or leisure time and chit chats, always monitored by surrounding cameras/cctvs and supervisors. It's really tight. No guarantee for work, you may get an envelope with money for work at the end of your shift and a word “you'll get a call from the manager”- which means you are fired. The important thing that I learned from my experiences is we can't predict the behaviour and can't make sure the 3 ws in Canada-“Work, Women and Weather”
Another important thing you all should take care of is getting a driver's license. The people with minimum driving experience in India have more chances to get the Canadian Driver's License easier. Because here the roads, traffic rules and roads are entirely different. Canada really deserves an appreciation about her roads and traffic rules- they are almost perfect and praiseworthy. Here there are number of drivers' licenses starting with G1-written test, you have to score 80% in two sections-traffic rules and signs. Then G2-it's a road test for 15 minutes in rural and urban roads. If you pass both you are qualified for G license (highway test). It's not easy to get through all tests, really tight, because the licensing system is operated by a profit oriented private company “Serco DES operating as DriveTest, is a private company licenced by the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario” http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/Pages/default.aspx Driver's license is an important photo identity card, and life is really difficult without a car due to the extreme climatic conditions. NOTE: Remember to bring your previous driving experience/driving particulars in official letter head, which would help you to qualify directly to “G” after G1, otherwise G1-G2-G. Don't go to the test without sufficient preparation loop and practice, appear only when you are 100% confident, because it costs you lot of money and time. Here everybody obeys traffic rules contrary to our place, so, if you make a mistake it costs so much!!!
Will continue

thanks for this information

TO DREAMLAND

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Life Style
Ontario is also a multy cultred province-people from different countries with different languages and customs. But everybody join together in one stream. In some parts of Toronto we can see a gathering of many from same place-Brampton with sikh, Scarborough with Tamil, NorthYork with Korean and Chinese. Here weekends are very important, 2 days off after 5 days work. Everybody awaits for a weekend, goes out, eat, party, enjoy and come late. Everyone has lot of friends, those with own car, money, house/condo or apartment has more freedom and friends. Can buy beer or alcohol from any where in different brands. Everybody respects other's privacy, everybody is self-sufficient, women stronger and active than men in social life. All are very courteous, punctual and nobody wants to interfere into other's problems.
Housing
Housing is steadily going up and very very expensive in Ontario. You will have to pay at least $500 for a single room with shared washroom. If you rent a spacious room with own washroom it'll cost you at least $700. If you are a family of 4 you need around $1600 to rent a condo, $1200 to rent an apartment and $800 for a basement. It's really expensive. Don't even think of buying a property if you don't have at least a crore rupees. Clean hot/cold water is abundant everywhere, hydro is cheaper and no breaks at all. Almost every room is furnished.
If anybody needs any particular advise, you can send me personalised messages, but don't please expect a quick reply.
Will continue next day. Thank you all.

jcanwecan

Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2014
Nomination.....
09-12-2014
IELTS Request
sent with app
Med's Request
05-02-2015
Med's Done....
10-02-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
requested
VISA ISSUED...
issued..
LANDED..........
soon
great info please keep it coming

SyedZaidi

Mar 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NY-HongKong-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CSQ App.: June-2011, Fed. App Filed: Feb 2013
Doc's Request.
July-2011, Additional Docs: Nov 2013
Nomination.....
12-21-2012
AOR Received.
August-2011
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
03-12-2011
Med's Request
04-04-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
03-12-2012 (CSQ)
Passport Req..
15-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-05-2014
LANDED..........
04-06-2014
Hi Everybody,

Things to get done as soon as you arrive:
1. Get your SIN done, go to Services Canada. Then you can apply for jobs. Update your resume to Canada's style. A good cover letter is always a good idea.
2. It is always good to start living from a place near or with your family or friend.
3. Find a job, get a bank account after that. Or whatever suits you.
4. Get your IDs ready, license and insurance for driving, medical insurance.
5. Get to know the place really good. There are always hidden doors of opportunities behind the scene. Socialize!

For any other advice, message me, I would try to get back to you guys. Thanks

msingh80

Star Member
Nov 24, 2014
Punjab, India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2014
Nomination.....
28-10-2014
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
28-01-2015
Med's Request
11-02-2015
Med's Done....
14-02-2015, Medical received on 25-02-2015
Interview........
waived . . .
Passport Req..
13-03-2015, Submitted on 18-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
2nd April 2015
LANDED..........
June/July 2015
KRP said:
After reading this post I need to put in my views:
1. No matter if you are a doctor, engineer, accountant etc you have to do further studies here to get in the system. No outside experience is accounted here.
2. When you land its advisable to get a little more money than what you declared since money could run out soon.
3. If you have relatives here do not expect any help as every one has a story to tell and its like a ragging process where one will say I did this and that and it took me 5 yrs to settle down. So no one is going to give someone or anyone a straight shortcut. This is the mentality of all earlier immigrants who have landed here and struggled a lot to come up. So come here to bear the struggle independently.
4. When you land here there are many agencies like safss.com etc who help get free furniture and beds from Furniture Bank. So if your budget is tight take advantage of these schemes if you do not mind using second hand goods and this way you could lower your initial expenses.
5. For people moving with small kids you can get upto $ 700 for 2 kids as Child Tax benefits and can put in some more to manage the rent in the initial period.
6. There is a scheme called OSAP where a qualified person who on landing does not wish to go to a factory and do labour jobs can take advantage of this scheme and get a Student loan to study in a college to upgrade. 30 percent of the course fees is waived and the balance needs to be paid back in small instalments after completion of the course. You will also get full support from govt like basic living expenses till you graduate out.
7. One can avail of Second career options if laid off a survival job or had a medical condition doing factory jobs. The govt pays your fees and you do not have to repay back but the criteria is very strict.
8. If you start with a survival job and make less than $ 20000 per year and have kids you can avail free dental care for the kids from community centers.
9. If one is weak in English you could go and do a free program called OSLT and get lots of help in integrating in the system.
10. Medicines are very costly here and if one needs to daily take prescription drugs then built a good rapport with family doctor who can help you with samples or else its Costco the best place to visit to get it cheaper.
11. Always see to it before renting a apartment whether its close to a bus stop this way you could survive initially without a car as insurance rates are very high.
12. If your profession is regulated the its best to not leave your current job and just land and move back , do the initial registration procedure for licensing and come back when closer to exams .
13. Nurses can study many courses and get a refund to maximum $ 1500 per year by registering in RNAO website.
14. The best store though its second hand in Toronto is National Thrift where you can still find unused clothes.
15. If not interested in factory jobs do volunteering as its always appreciated by employers.
16. For kids the education is totally free with school buses .
17. You can claim daycare expenses for kids if both parents are studying.
I can go on writing but one has to look in all the various supports the govt is extending rather than just complaining. I know its tough initially but never give up.

thanks for sharing this useful information . . .

msingh80

Star Member
Nov 24, 2014
Punjab, India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2014
Nomination.....
28-10-2014
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
28-01-2015
Med's Request
11-02-2015
Med's Done....
14-02-2015, Medical received on 25-02-2015
Interview........
waived . . .
Passport Req..
13-03-2015, Submitted on 18-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
2nd April 2015
LANDED..........
June/July 2015
Hello friends,

I am expecting to land in ON, Canada by July 2015.

Can anyone share their experience of finding apartment on rent. Especially, in city should one decide to live ?

Thanks

pradhan12

Star Member
Nov 18, 2014
kathmandu
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 JULY 2014 Received by CIC 31st July 2015
Nomination.....
25 NOVEMBER 2014
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION
Med's Request
13 JANUARY 2015
Med's Done....
18 JANUARY 2015
Interview........
waived hopefully Third Line update 22nd January 2015
Passport Req..
4 MARCH 2015 DM 3 MARCH 2015
VISA ISSUED...
4 march pp dispatched
LANDED..........
07-05-2015
TO DREAMLAND said:
Second Part
Work environment:
Another important thing you all should take care of is getting a driver's license. The people with minimum driving experience in India have more chances to get the Canadian Driver's License easier. Because here the roads, traffic rules and roads are entirely different. Canada really deserves an appreciation about her roads and traffic rules- they are almost perfect and praiseworthy. Here there are number of drivers' licenses starting with G1-written test, you have to score 80% in two sections-traffic rules and signs. Then G2-it's a road test for 15 minutes in rural and urban roads. If you pass both you are qualified for G license (highway test). It's not easy to get through all tests, really tight, because the licensing system is operated by a profit oriented private company “Serco DES operating as DriveTest, is a private company licenced by the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario” http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/Pages/default.aspx Driver's license is an important photo identity card, and life is really difficult without a car due to the extreme climatic conditions. NOTE: Remember to bring your previous driving experience/driving particulars in official letter head, which would help you to qualify directly to “G” after G1, otherwise G1-G2-G. Don't go to the test without sufficient preparation and practice, appear only when you are 100% confident, because it costs you lot of money and time. Here everybody obeys traffic rules contrary to our place, so, if you make a mistake it costs so much!!!
Will continue

Thanks Dream Land for sharing an information

navdeep36

Aug 26, 2013
United Arab Emirates
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2014
Doc's Request.
28-04-2015
Nomination.....
20-11-2014
Med's Request
16-06-2015
Med's Done....
24-06-2015
Passport Req..
09-07-2015>>>>> Submitted - 26.07.2015>>>Riyadh
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2015
LANDED..........
10-10-2015
TO DREAMLAND said:
Second Part
Work environment:
Will continue

Thanks a lot for sharing. But i guess everyone will have different exp according to his current lifestyle/location/NOC/Exp/field of work.
if your profession is very common then 101% u will face problems to get job in any corner of the world.

TO DREAMLAND

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Part-3
Weather
Always remember the winter (November to March) is the toughest time in Canada. According to Toronto Star, since 1885, this winter was the coldest with 27 days' acute weather warning (up to -30-35). So choose the right time to enter Canada and be prepared to face the freezing cold. Don't bring any winter clothes, they may not sustain in the extreme. They are all available everywhere. I really hate this time. Everywhere you can see snow and only snow, trees without leaves, walkways covered. The wind always chills the cold too fast. By March third week spring starts you'll get warmer by June.
Living Expenses
The higher Federal and province taxes always make our life difficult. Everybody works for paying bills. So, in my opinion a family of 4 will have to pay the following bills:
1)Rent: 1000 to 2700 (Basement to Condo, apartments in the middle). You can find accommodation anywhere without much difficulty, but some areas are more expensive like North York. Brampton and Mississauga are cheaper. Almost all the streets look alike with almost same types of houses. So, it is not easy to get back or find your location in initial times. Here comes Google maps with great help, almost every nook and corner is covered in Google maps. Housing sector is going steadily up and it's a safe deposit if you can buy one. Minimum $300 thousand. You can pay the mortgage with the rent, if you have own house/apartment/condo.
2) Grocery: 300 to 600 approximately. Almost every food items are available, but not in all places. You can buy fresh fruits, vegetables, milk, egg and other confectionary are available in Loblaws, NoFreez etc... and in malls. Many Punjabi shops are available in Brampton area. The food stuff are high in quality and of course in price too. A haircut will cost you average 15 dollars.
3) Clothing: It's seasonal and depends up on selection and interests.
4) Transportation: If you have a car, the gas is not an issue, but the monthly instalment and insurance is very high. You'll have to pay at least $300 as monthly insurance and it varies according to place, provider and make. Parking is not allowed everywhere; you'll have to pay in many areas.
Public transport (TTC- Toronto Transit) is very efficient. Everything pre-paid. Buses have only driver, fully automatic. A ticket costs you $3. Metros are very frequent and many use it every day. It is very difficult to commute without a car.
5) Electronics: Everything is available; no need to bring tvs, music system smart phones- some may not work here. Fido, Wind, Rogers have more presence in Toronto and you can get a smart phones on contract without paying more than $50. Monthly plans are there, minimum you'll have to pay 50 to 150 according to your usage. Calling cards are also available, which are cheaper for overseas calls.
My suggestions
*Bring as much money as you can
*Choose a right time for landing
*Try not to bring the whole family and children first. If husband is the principal applicant, you come first, learn well, settle and then bring your family.
*Be prepared with some technical education like computer software/hardware, welding is a very highly paid job, communication, production, management, mechanical etc....General professionals like teachers, banking professionals, administration and health care will have very difficult time here. Everything needs license here. You know, to get a license as a brick masonry, you need to enrol in to a college and take up a two year programme- but the wages are minimum $30/hour
* The system, Govt. and rules are more perfect compared to our country, corruption is minimum, and life is free as far as you are not doing anything bad
* Always be aware life is not easy in Canada. Be prepared to face challenges. I don't want to discourage or scare anybody, so my policy is “ it's your life-you decide”
*Always be truthful, sincere, punctual and hardworking. Respect everybody and you will get it back.
Priorities
1) Apply for PR card, providing a Canadian address
2) Get a temporary accommodation
3) Apply for SIN (Social Insurance Number), must for finding a job
4) Get a bank account
5) Get a mobile connection
6) Prepare for drive test
7) Start applying for survival jobs
8) Settlement takes pretty good time, so be ready to give ample time and effort
And now something more about myself. As I said I went through all initial struggling, took up two survival jobs but kept on applying for better positions. When fully realized that further study is inevitable, I enrolled myself for MBA-very expensive but very demanding with the financial aid from OSAP with University of Toronto, working part time as an administrative assistant in a reputed college. Have some great friends and colleagues, bought a car, moved to a single room condo.
Let me remind you one thing, what I wrote are from my personal experience, do not try to generalise. I respect different experiences of many who came here. Once again all the best with your life in Canada. If you need any particular help, you can write me and will look into the matter- what I can do

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TO DREAMLAND said:
Part-3
Weather
Always remember the winter (November to March) is the toughest time in Canada. According to Toronto Star, since 1885, this winter was the coldest with 27 days' acute weather warning (up to -30-35). So choose the right time to enter Canada and be prepared to face the freezing cold. Don't bring any winter clothes, they may not sustain in the extreme. They are all available everywhere. I really hate this time. Everywhere you can see snow and only snow, trees without leaves, walkways covered. The wind always chills the cold too fast. By March third week spring starts you'll get warmer by June.

This is not true. Here in the Greater Vancouver Area (which is still Canada), we didn't get much snow this winter. There are snow only in the mountains, however the evergreens have leaves, uncovered walkways. Only a tiny bit of snow in late November. The coldest were only about minus 12 (include wind chills) for a few nights and day time temperatures high at around 10. However, unless you buy your plane tickets to Vancouver right after you read the latest weather forecast, you might not encountered such nice weather. I disagree with you that people should not bring any winter clothes - do you suppose people buy them at the airport with summer clothes they are wearing?

TO DREAMLAND said:

5) Electronics: Everything is available; no need to bring tvs, music system smart phones- some may not work here. Fido, Wind, Rogers have more presence in Toronto and you can get a smart phones on contract without paying more than $50. Monthly plans are there, minimum you'll have to pay 50 to 150 according to your usage. Calling cards are also available, which are cheaper for overseas calls.

I disagree. Most smartphones sold here are locked - so it will be inconvenient to switch from one service provider to another. On the contrary, you can easily purchase unlock smartphones from outside Canada and it is tax free.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
TO DREAMLAND said:
Part-3
Weather
4) Transportation: If you have a car, the gas is not an issue, but the monthly instalment and insurance is very high. You'll have to pay at least $300 as monthly insurance and it varies according to place, provider and make.
Not necessarily true, I pay $120 a month inclusive comprehensive cover. BC only got in insurer, ICBC.