+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My experience with the process

patreya

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
Hi all,

My process is now complete (received CoPR). I can provide information on the following topics, and feel free to send me private messages.
-- Police Certificate in UK, Germany, France
-- Germany to English Translation
-- Sending Passport to Dusseldorf VFS (and timelines)
-- any other general topics

My timeline:
-- Applied with spouse
-- I took IELTS and WES credentials back in Nov 2014.
-- ITA received in March (486 points), Documents submitted in May 19
-- PPR on Aug 19, PPR for local VO on Sep 2, and sep 18, got my passport back

Some advise
-- This is a long marathon, and so you have to plan from the beginning. Do IELTS, evaluate your WES credentials. Do everything to increase your points above 450. I have seen some thread suggesting that maybe the points will drop below this. Maybe it will. But if you are determined, you should find a way to increase the score. Think of what you can do in 6-12 months timescale to increase your points (Masters, French, more job experience, foreign adaptability)

-- Proof of Finance:
For me, I think its not only about showing the proof of finance exists, in a bank account. I think your whole profile has to match somehow. If you have a job of $200/month and then show bank balance of $20,000, obviously they will get suspicious. If you have money in your account from someone in your family as gift, then try to get it quickly in your account. If you got your money from your parents, you could also show their income statement or tax statement. Adding more/extra document is no harm. I showed last 6 months of balance and had payslips to verify my income. I have no experience with gifts, so its my opinion only.

-- Employment Letter
I submitted the initial job offer letter, which was just 1-2 page. In cases where I had contract, I send those too, translated in English. I send also the payslips. Overall, I think if your profile matches with your job they wont get suspicious. You need to provide them with ample information to make decisions. Most important I think is the contact information.

-- Passport
I submitted only the new passport, and only the stamped pages

-- Medical
Stay healthy :)

-- Once you receive an ITA, dont upload the documents immediately. I have seen some of you do it. research nicely, know all the stuff, even ask a friend to evaluate your documents. They can reject your application sometimes due to minor problems. You do not need a lawyer, but ask a friend or someone who has gone through the same process and you trust.

Final thoughts, I do not know how the road in Canada will be, but I expect it to be tough. I am now preparing for the interviews so I can try to get a job when I get there. Until you have a plan do not go. After you get your visa, you don't have to travel right away. So prepare yourself properly, both in your field, but also in soft skills. On a professional side update your linkedIN profile, other form of job search site. Apply for some jobs online pretending you are in Canada to see your market. Learn skills like driving, computers, english, cooking etc.

See you in Canada :)

Jkal

Jul 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
EE
IELTS Request
R9 L8 S7 W6.5
Passport Req..
20-04-2016
Thanks for sharing this. Its indeed nice.. +1

Duskyblue

Jan 23, 2015
Switzerland
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Thanks for sharing!

patreya said:
-- PPR on Aug 19, PPR for local VO on Sep 2, and sep 18, got my passport back
This always confuses me, perhaps you can explain?
Does the first PPR always ask for the passport (or the copies) to be sent to Ottawa, and then anyone not in Canada has to send a request to change it to the VO? And then you wait again for a new request?

patreya

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
Does the first PPR always ask for the passport (or the copies) to be sent to Ottawa, and then anyone not in Canada has to send a request to change it to the VO? And then you wait again for a new request?

--> Yes

First they send a generic letter made for inland applications and applications from USA

For anyone else, you have to contact them by email to get request for a local VAC.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/vac/list.asp
https://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/Index.html

VAC - Visa application centre who is responsible to issue you visa and CoPR. This is where you have to send the passport
VFS - Not all countries have VAC, so you have VFS which is responsible for managing your passport to VAC and back.

The rules, costs, timeline for individual VAC/VFS varies but you can find those out in the above two links.

maple325

Sep 13, 2015
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-10-2015
Doc's Request.
not needed at this time
AOR Received.
29-10-2015
Med's Done....
09-11-2015
Interview........
not needed at this time
Passport Req..
11-04-2016
Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm applying from Germany, too, so this is super helpful!

Some questions...
1: Where did you get your translations made?

2: Which bank are you with and did you provide full records with every single transaction visible? That must be a pain and expensive to translate.
I'm with DKB and my savings are on my VISA card (better interest), which has only very few transactions, mostly deposits from my bank account and some ATM withdrawals. I'm wondering whether the transactions are as important as the balance itself because they also demonstrate income and spending habits, i.e. ability to manage finances. What do you think?

3: Did you wait until CIC requested the police record / polizeiliches Fürhungszeugnis or did you obtain it in advance? In other words, do you know whether it's valid for a certain amount of time?

4: For how long was your passport gone?

5: Just out of curiosity, where are you intending to settle in Canada?

All the best for finding work! If you do, it's not because of luck, but due to hard work in uncovering the right opportunities. Still, best of luck! :)

patreya

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
maple325 said:
Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm applying from Germany, too, so this is super helpful!

Some questions...
1: Where did you get your translations made?
--> I can send you the name/email of the person who made the translation. I actually needed to be done very quickly (over a weekend), and he was ready to do it (since he is not a real company but just a university professor). If you want his details, I can send you over private message. There are agencies here in Germany too. Either way, its costly, so start your process early :)

2: Which bank are you with and did you provide full records with every single transaction visible? That must be a pain and expensive to translate.
I'm with DKB and my savings are on my VISA card (better interest), which has only very few transactions, mostly deposits from my bank account and some ATM withdrawals. I'm wondering whether the transactions are as important as the balance itself because they also demonstrate income and spending habits, i.e. ability to manage finances. What do you think?
--> I cannot help you with this. I did not show my german bank details. I have USA bank, which I used. But I think transactions are important too. Have a bank account here gives you more readability, so you don't have to worry much. But I would also suggest you not to take any chances.

3: Did you wait until CIC requested the police record / polizeiliches Fürhungszeugnis or did you obtain it in advance? In other words, do you know whether it's valid for a certain amount of time?
--> I obtained it in advanced. I asked it for 'immigration purpose' and got it in about 10 days time by post. I also translated it. I am not sure how long the German PC s valid, but I think all PC submitted to CIC has to be less than 3 months (or was it 6 months).

4: For how long was your passport gone?
--> I send my passport on Sep 3rd, and got it few hours ago (sept 18). Two weeks

5: Just out of curiosity, where are you intending to settle in Canada?
--> wherever I or my wife get a job :)

All the best for finding work! If you do, it's not because of luck, but due to hard work in uncovering the right opportunities. Still, best of luck! :)

Duskyblue

Jan 23, 2015
Switzerland
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
patreya said:
First they send a generic letter made for inland applications and applications from USA

For anyone else, you have to contact them by email to get request for a local VAC.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/vac/list.asp
https://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/Index.html

VAC - Visa application centre who is responsible to issue you visa and CoPR. This is where you have to send the passport
VFS - Not all countries have VAC, so you have VFS which is responsible for managing your passport to VAC and back.
Do I send this email to CIC, then? With a CSE, or is there a faster option? Will they provide instructions in the generic letter? And *could* I just send it to Ottawa if I wanted to? Might not take much longer, as my country has no VAC (and isn't on the VFS list either...)

patreya

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
Duskyblue said:
Do I send this email to CIC, then? With a CSE, or is there a faster option? Will they provide instructions in the generic letter? And *could* I just send it to Ottawa if I wanted to? Might not take much longer, as my country has no VAC (and isn't on the VFS list either...)
I do not know the answer to 'my country has no VAC and no VO'. What would you who would have to do just to go to Canada as a tourist? Even if you do not need a tourist visa, there are other nationalities who are resident in your country that would need a tourist visa. So there is one embassy out there which has jurisdiction over your country/location. Its upto you to find out that embassy.

In the PPR request it clearly mentions that you can send the letter if you are in Canada/USA. If you send it to Ottawa, then they would not post your passport back. They post it only within Canada/USA. I called them to check if I could provide my family address in Canada to get back the passport, but I did not get a clear answer. So I did not take any risks.

kksai

Star Member
Sep 23, 2013
>>final thoughts, I do not know how the road in Canada will be, but I expect it to be tough.

welcome to canada ... I think you will do well .. all the best .. where u plan to land in Canada ?

Duskyblue

Jan 23, 2015
Switzerland
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
patreya said:
I do not know the answer to 'my country has no VAC and no VO'. What would you who would have to do just to go to Canada as a tourist? Even if you do not need a tourist visa, there are other nationalities who are resident in your country that would need a tourist visa. So there is one embassy out there which has jurisdiction over your country/location. Its upto you to find out that embassy.

In the PPR request it clearly mentions that you can send the letter if you are in Canada/USA. If you send it to Ottawa, then they would not post your passport back. They post it only within Canada/USA. I called them to check if I could provide my family address in Canada to get back the passport, but I did not get a clear answer. So I did not take any risks.
I found out in the meantime - seems to be Paris. :)

Thank you, that certainly answers some of my questions! I was considering having them send it to my boyfriend in Canada, but it's probably better to do it like you to be safe.