+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My experience of Toronto after 1.5 yr and some suggestions for future students.

dhillon1990

Star Member
Sep 19, 2012
toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1 nov 2012
IELTS Request
7 bands
VISA ISSUED...
7 nov 2012
Hi Guys
Just wanted to share some my personal experiences which I had after coming to Canada so, that you guys would not do the same mistake I did. There are some suggestions which are purely based on my personal experiences. They might be helpful for some and might not for some.It happened with me might not happen with you so think before coming to any decision. Here it goes, I came to Canada in Jan 2013 for 1 yr pg cert in GBC just after completing my engg degree. I knew, it would be even harder for me to get a job in unknown country without any prior experience in my field but I took a chance partially because, I wanted to experience a foreign country which I never did before and also because, course looked close to what I wanted to become (Cellular field). After reading some views about the course on this site I was pretty much sure that it would turn out to be a good decision but till now it doesn't seem like it. There are some reasons because of which I think I am struggling to find a job here.

1)NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE: I graduated in June 2012 and I applied for the course right after completing my Engg degree. Some people told me to do the job which I had (HCL) for a year or two to gain some experience and then go for future studies and some said, it's better to do it now because you are still fresh and it'll be easy for you to learn new courses (which I never did) and also if you start working you won't be able to get out of the circle of work (which is pure Bullshit!!). But, as everyone here knows that, the mere excitement of going to a foreign country kills every thought which comes in your mind which could possibly halt you from going. Same thing happened to me without thinking anything I got onto the flight and here I come in land of dreams( or punjabis as many people say ).
After completing my stupid 1 yr pg cert I came to know no employer gives a shit about my diploma all they care about is THE EXPERIENCE which obviously I din't have because I ran soon after my studies. Anyway, other thing I did not care about while I was in India to do cisco CCNA certification( only for telecomm guys) which everyone in class was doing. This certificate as "people" over here say, is must for an entry level job but some of my classmates over here are not able to find anything even with the CCNA cert. But personally I suggest you guys to do it coz it helps in getting a job along with experience. So, based on this I strongly suggest you guys to firstly, have some Indian experience in your pocket so that you won't feel naked over here and secondly, to do all kinds of certifications which are related to your field of future study( definitely helps!!). Other misconception that people have that Indian experience won't count but from my experience it does (surely does) because they look at the responsibilities which you will put in your resume more than the location. Those responsibilities will surely take you to an interview. After all this you guys might want an example too so I 'll give example, I have a friend and his gf both came from India after working in IT company (Infosys) for 2 years and did a business course of an year and he himself told me how he got the job by molding those responsibilities according to employer's needs and the how his course did nothing. Hope this helps!!

2) GO FOR UNIVERSITY ALWAYS : There is a very strong reason why I am saying this. You can ask anyone (international student) who graduated from college in Canada about this, I am sure he/she will definitely tell you to go for university instead of college. Reasons being first, getting a PR after graduating from university becomes 1000 times easier because the time you finish your university you are already eligible to file PNP (without any job offer) and a year or so you can get your PR without any pressure of getting a job. Second, if you graduate from university it becomes much less harder to being called for an interview from big companies. Even though it costs little more than college fee but trust me this money will come back to you in no time at all. Some of you might be wondering that why I was not in University instead of College. There are two reason for that, one is I did apply for 5 or 6 Universities in Canada which I thought would accept me based on my not so good grades but it turned out my grades were way worse than I thought ( 60% in Mumbai University is not that bad but was for them). So, I got rejected by each one of them. Other reason which actually becomes vague after the first reason but for my satisfaction I was not really interested in learning anything more about electronics stuff which I hardly got thru in my Bachelor's. So, it was blessing in disguise I guess. One thing which really bugged me after listening to my classmates (it was not their fault) about the reason about not going to the University here( to my surprise it was not Money!!) that they were never told about the university by their agents. They all had good percentages enough to get them in a good University but ignorance lead them to a unwanted struggle. My advice here is if you can afford a little more money try for Universities (you won't regret this decision). And don't go these fake agents who only want your money by not giving you proper knowledge. Go to the agent( good agents can surely help to get you in) who will get you in a University not in College.

3) 2 year course: If you still choose college because of your personal reasons then go for 2 year course because after you graduate you will have enough time to look for a job. And also you can change course, college everything after coming here don't listen to your agents. But if changing do withing 10-15 days of starting of the college.

Again, everything I said is based on my experience in 1.5 years hope it will benefit everyone!! I might not be able to reply to comments(as I am looking for a Job) but will surely try. I am from engineering background so everything is in that context. I do not know much about other fields.

b.arvind87

Star Member
Oct 19, 2013
hello dhillon,

its good that you are sharing your experience so that others can form their opinion., finding a job off campus as fresher is always difficult irrespective of the country.., hope you get a good job soon..,

i had same apprehensions few years back when i wanted do ms.. hence i thought graduation with experience (currently working in networking domain ) will be easier to get a job in a foreign country and also give time to make up mind of what exactly to do mba,ms etc.. i will do joining Dalhousie (internetworking ) this sep..

raunaq 101

May 19, 2014
hey,

just like you even im on the same track, planning to go to Canada fresh off from graduation. i got 71.44% aggregate in my BBA which i did from bharti vidya peeth, pune.

so i am looking for something in the field of media advertising or marketing and ofcourse its a pg certificate course like you did

not all universities in canada provide with a diploma courses, probably only Tru gives a diploma course.

now after reading what you said, im baffled im mean is it so hard to get a job? are these courses simply a waste of time and money?

dhillon1990

Star Member
Sep 19, 2012
toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1 nov 2012
IELTS Request
7 bands
VISA ISSUED...
7 nov 2012
Thanks for appreciating my post arvind and your decision to do it now is definitely a good one. Hope it turns out well. Raunaq bro why are you looking for diploma. Work in India for a year or two and then do MBA if not do a 2 year course.

ola1974

May 21, 2014
NIGERIA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dhillion....I salute ur magnanimity. You will be on my records for salvaging me with this info. Thank u

Josh21

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
Could you share your experience with regards to job interviews.

How many did you apply for? How many interviews have you been called for? How did the interviews go?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
raunaq 101 said:
not all universities in canada provide with a diploma courses, probably only Tru gives a diploma course.

now after reading what you said, im baffled im mean is it so hard to get a job? are these courses simply a waste of time and money?
dhillon1990 is saying you should complete a university degree - not a diploma. Diplomas have very low value for employers in Canada. As someone who was born in Canada, I completely agree.

raunaq 101

May 19, 2014
well there are not many courses for media or marketing which are for 2 years :/ most of them are for months or 1 year. i found a course Advertising – Media Management which is for 3 semesters with co-op in the last semester from centennial college which i find interesting enough. do you know any university that offers the same course.? the only university which provides a diploma is tru. any idea about the university ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
raunaq 101 said:
well there are not many courses for media or marketing which are for 2 years :/ most of them are for months or 1 year. i found a course Advertising – Media Management which is for 3 semesters with co-op in the last semester from centennial college which i find interesting enough. do you know any university that offers the same course.? the only university which provides a diploma is tru. any idea about the university ?
Very few universities offer pre-masters diplomas. Canadian universities almost exclusively offer degrees. TRU is one of the few universities offering pre-masters diplomas - but of course it doesn't have a very good reputation as universities go.

dhillon1990

Star Member
Sep 19, 2012
toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1 nov 2012
IELTS Request
7 bands
VISA ISSUED...
7 nov 2012
I did wireless Networking then a 4 month course in Niagara college. You'll know if your coming with 1 yr course.

gurpreet32

Jun 16, 2014
I am going for same course in same college...bt i do have a experience of 2 years in networking
n i applied for visa in last week...now what do u suggest me to do ??
and is there any program like general arts and science which waves off your 3 semester if u are studying in gbc ???

dhillon1990

Star Member
Sep 19, 2012
toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1 nov 2012
IELTS Request
7 bands
VISA ISSUED...
7 nov 2012
You look better than me. Get CCNA would be even better. If you are doing Wireless Networking you ll be able to get in last sem of GAS.