+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My experience of PRTD application

omsaiom

Aug 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello members,

I recently applied for PRTD and thought of sharing my experience as not many posts are available here.
I became a permanent resident of Canada in December 2016 and after staying for two weeks I came back to my home country (India) in January 2017.
I am planning to return to Canada shortly.
My family member in Canada received my PR card long back but since no one was coming and I didn't want to send it by courier (because of RFID) I thought of applying for PRTD.
I applied at my local VFS center in Pune in April 2017.
I filled the application form along with the checklist (downloaded from CIC website) and two photographs similar to that of PR application. I also wrote a formal application letter and explained my reason (job and personal) in that letter, explained that I have sufficient time available to complete the residency obligation once I return mentioning my exact returning date (Yes, I had already booked my tickets) and listed down the documents that I am attaching.
Documents that I attached were: Application form, checklist, COPR photocopy, SIN photocopy, Visa issued for first travel, entry and exit stamp from my first travel, Old passport photocopy, family member payslips (person is in Canada and Canadian payslips) and plane tickets.

In the form, I think question-19 (Humanitarian and compassionate reasons) I again explained my reason for leaving and how I have sufficient time to fulfill my residency obligation and also mentioned about my family member in Canada, we can add additional pages at the back of the form if required which I did. I feel that they only worry about the residency obligation and they even don't require travel plans for that which I will explain why later in the post.

I went to the VFS center and they gave two additional forms to fill 1) Family details form (you need to know the birth date, death date if deceased, present address of your parents, siblings, and spouse) 2) Entry-Exit form: You need to know exact date of each travel outside Canada after becoming PR ( I mentioned exit from Canada in January, entry to India as I didn't have any other travel)

I gave the application and VFS center rejected my photographs stating that this specification (50X70) was for PR while PRTD has specification of (45X35) with the face size same of 31-35 mm. CIC website shows (50X70) so I talked to them and after some persuasion they agreed to accept it, but since the face size was same in both the specifications I thought of trimming my same photos which I did at a local studio and again came back with 45X35 dimension photo. My application was accepted and on the next day was delivered to Visa office in Bangalore. I chose an option of collecting it from the VFS center in person we can also have it directly couriered to our home. After the 15th day of my application submission in Pune VFS, status was updated that my passports are dispatched and on the next day (16th day after submission) I collected it from the VFS center, in total 12 working days.
I received a visa which is valid for two years and can be used for multiple entries. Since I got the visa for two years I believe that they give validity such that even if I go anytime during this two years I will be able to fulfill my residency obligation and hence travel tickets are not required. They calculate the time for which I can stay back without hampering my residency requirements and give visa accordingly (but it is just a guess).
I have tried to mention everything over here if you have any further questions let me know and I will try to answer.

Best Regards,
OMSAIOM

patnaik7

Star Member
Jul 9, 2017
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-10-2017
AOR Received.
09-11-2017
File Transfer...
28-11-2017
Med's Request
17-07-2018
Med's Done....
27-07-2018
Passport Req..
03-08-2018
Hello members,

I recently applied for PRTD and thought of sharing my experience as not many posts are available here.
I became a permanent resident of Canada in December 2016 and after staying for two weeks I came back to my home country (India) in January 2017.
My family member in Canada received my PR card long back but since no one was coming and I didn't want to send it by courier (because of RFID) I thought of applying for PRTD.
I filled the application form along with the checklist (downloaded from CIC website) and two photographs similar to that of PR application. I also wrote a formal application letter and explained my reason (job and personal) in that letter, explained that I have sufficient time available to complete the residency obligation once I return mentioning my exact returning date (Yes, I had already booked my tickets) and listed down the documents that I am attaching.
Documents that I attached were: Application form, checklist, COPR photocopy, SIN photocopy, Visa issued for first travel, entry and exit stamp from my first travel, Old passport photocopy, family member payslips (person is in Canada and Canadian payslips) and plane tickets.

In the form, I think question-19 (Humanitarian and compassionate reasons) I again explained my reason for leaving and how I have sufficient time to fulfill my residency obligation and also mentioned about my family member in Canada, we can add additional pages at the back of the form if required which I did. I feel that they only worry about the residency obligation and they even don't require travel plans for that which I will explain why later in the post.

I went to the VFS center and they gave two additional forms to fill 1) Family details form (you need to know the birth date, death date if deceased, present address of your parents, siblings, and spouse) 2) Entry-Exit form: You need to know exact date of each travel outside Canada after becoming PR ( I mentioned exit from Canada in January, entry to India as I didn't have any other travel)

I gave the application and VFS center rejected my photographs stating that this specification (50X70) was for PR while PRTD has specification of (45X35) with the face size same of 31-35 mm. CIC website shows (50X70) so I talked to them and after some persuasion they agreed to accept it, but since the face size was same in both the specifications I thought of trimming my same photos which I did at a local studio and again came back with 45X35 dimension photo. My application was accepted and on the next day was delivered to Visa office in Bangalore. I chose an option of collecting it from the VFS center in person we can also have it directly couriered to our home. After the 15th day of my application submission in Pune VFS, status was updated that my passports are dispatched and on the next day (16th day after submission) I collected it from the VFS center, in total 12 working days.
I received a visa which is valid for two years and can be used for multiple entries. Since I got the visa for two years I believe that they give validity such that even if I go anytime during this two years I will be able to fulfill my residency obligation and hence travel tickets are not required. They calculate the time for which I can stay back without hampering my residency requirements and give visa accordingly (but it is just a guess).
I have tried to mention everything over here if you have any further questions let me know and I will try to answer.

Best Regards,
OMSAIOM
Thank you so much for sharing the details. This is just what I was looking for. The wait for the PR card was excruciating. I had to return to Bangalore for some work, so I was planning to apply for the PRTD. Thanks again!

Rashmi1690

Jun 23, 2016
Thanks a lot for the detailed post. It has been very informative and helpful..! :)

Couple of questions:

1. While applying for PRTD, do we need to mention the duration for which we need it to remain valid? You have mentioned that your PRTD came with a validity of 2 years, where as another person has mentioned on another thread that his PRTD came with a validity of 6 months. Any idea on how the validity is determined, further to what you have mentioned in the post ?

2. What are the application charges for PRTD?

Thanks,
Rashmi

Hello members,

Best Regards,
OMSAIOM

sam1991

Star Member
Jun 27, 2017
Thanks a lot for the detailed post. It has been very informative and helpful..! :)

Couple of questions:

1. While applying for PRTD, do we need to mention the duration for which we need it to remain valid? You have mentioned that your PRTD came with a validity of 2 years, where as another person has mentioned on another thread that his PRTD came with a validity of 6 months. Any idea on how the validity is determined, further to what you have mentioned in the post ?

Thanks,
Rashmi

I have read somewhere $ 50 is fee to apply.

patnaik7

Star Member
Jul 9, 2017
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-10-2017
AOR Received.
09-11-2017
File Transfer...
28-11-2017
Med's Request
17-07-2018
Med's Done....
27-07-2018
Passport Req..
03-08-2018

Couple of questions:

Thanks,
Rashmi
Its up to the VO to determine the validity of the PRTD. It depends on case to case basis.

student7872014

Jan 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello members,

Best Regards,
OMSAIOM
What does the PRTD look like? You said that you received a visa stamped in your passport. Is it similar to the Immigrant Visa that is stamped after PPR? Did you get both a new stamp and a PRTD (kind of like Immigrant Visa + COPR)?

Baahubali

May 18, 2017
What does the PRTD look like? You said that you received a visa stamped in your passport. Is it similar to the Immigrant Visa that is stamped after PPR? Did you get both a new stamp and a PRTD (kind of like Immigrant Visa + COPR)?
I am also interested to know what a PRTD is. Is it a piece of paper like CoPR? Also do they stamp our passport again with immigrant visa type?

VCH

Jun 1, 2018
Hello members,

Best Regards,
OMSAIOM

Thanks you for sharing this experience....
Below is my case and request a feedback ...
1) I became permanent resident of Canada on 14 February 2018 by landing @ YYZ. My husband came to India after 2 weeks of stay in Toronto to fulfill some family commitments. I stayed back in Canada, I was a dependant applicant when we filed for Express Entry FSW.
2) Since I did not receive our PR cards within 60 days and IRCC kept on asking photos (yes, we got photo request 2 times after landing !!) I was unable to send it back for my husband to return on 2nd July. We already the tickets booked since February. Its 3.5 months since we landed and we still do not have our PR cards.
3) My husband filed for a PRTD on 21st May 2018 at VFS Mumbai, submitting all the documents as requested on the checklist. The VFS refused to take the copy of COPR and said that was not needed. On 28th May 2018, he received a mail from Consulate General of Canada in Bengaluru requesting to send Family Information for by Email by the deadline 5th June 2018. Since my husband was travelling,and scheduled to return on 3rd June, we decided to send the same on 4th June, well within the deadline period.
4) On 1st June, we check the status of application on VFS website, its clearly says, "your processed passport has been dispatched from Consulate General of Canada in Bengaluru and is ready for collection"
Since it is Saturday we will have to wait to wait anyways till monday to collect the passport from VFS office. But i still fail to understand how come they processed the application without us sending what they requested ? does it mean that they have rejected the application without waiting for us to furnish them with the requested document ? Or that message was sent in error ?
.......... Any insight on this will be appreciated.......

apurvgaurav

Apr 28, 2016
Thanks you for sharing this experience....
Below is my case and request a feedback ...
1) I became permanent resident of Canada on 14 February 2018 by landing @ YYZ. My husband came to India after 2 weeks of stay in Toronto to fulfill some family commitments. I stayed back in Canada, I was a dependant applicant when we filed for Express Entry FSW.
2) Since I did not receive our PR cards within 60 days and IRCC kept on asking photos (yes, we got photo request 2 times after landing !!) I was unable to send it back for my husband to return on 2nd July. We already the tickets booked since February. Its 3.5 months since we landed and we still do not have our PR cards.
3) My husband filed for a PRTD on 21st May 2018 at VFS Mumbai, submitting all the documents as requested on the checklist. The VFS refused to take the copy of COPR and said that was not needed. On 28th May 2018, he received a mail from Consulate General of Canada in Bengaluru requesting to send Family Information for by Email by the deadline 5th June 2018. Since my husband was travelling,and scheduled to return on 3rd June, we decided to send the same on 4th June, well within the deadline period.
4) On 1st June, we check the status of application on VFS website, its clearly says, "your processed passport has been dispatched from Consulate General of Canada in Bengaluru and is ready for collection"
Since it is Saturday we will have to wait to wait anyways till monday to collect the passport from VFS office. But i still fail to understand how come they processed the application without us sending what they requested ? does it mean that they have rejected the application without waiting for us to furnish them with the requested document ? Or that message was sent in error ?
.......... Any insight on this will be appreciated.......
Hello Guys,

What happened to your PRTD application ? Did you guys receive it ? I am in a very similar situation. I had applied for a PRTD on 31st May, at Bangalore vfs center and waiting..

Please update on your case, as it really helps plan forward..thanks..

VCH

Jun 1, 2018
Hey .. my husband got the PRTD today ... 2 years multiple entry..
Dunno why they asked to submit family information form ... they issued even without waiting for us to send it..
Wish you good luck guys ... should be smooth for you too :)

Hello Guys,

What happened to your PRTD application ? Did you guys receive it ? I am in a very similar situation. I had applied for a PRTD on 31st May, at Bangalore vfs center and waiting..

Please update on your case, as it really helps plan forward..thanks..

aloksohani

Jun 9, 2018
Hello members,

Best Regards,
OMSAIOM
Thanks for this OMSAIOM, I have a similar situation whereby I and my wife are traveling next week to Canada and I will return to India in 3 weeks. So, you mean in residency obligation option of "Humanitarian and compassionate" is the reason which I can state.Also, can you please elaborate the exact reason you stated to return to India ?

Regards,
Alok Sohani

Samfswquery

Star Member
Dec 1, 2014
Hello members,

Best Regards,
OMSAIOM
What is RFID?

Samfswquery

Star Member
Dec 1, 2014
OL
Hello members,

Best Regards,
OMSAIOM
Did you give photocopy of all pages of old passport or just the first and last page and Canada Visa copy ?