+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My experience in Canada!

reddevilman

Nov 6, 2013
After reading Rossei's story (have to say it's very real and inspirational), I am moved and understanding the exact life is. I got my PR VISA on June this year and landing on Saskachewan in September. Now am looking for some job opportunities and always hearing from some others of negative words. Before my immigrating, I kept working as finance/accounting staff for 10+ years and in the past 5 years I was working in mid-senior lever in company. I do not expect to get a similar job (level or pay) in a very short term. However, I will try to find one close to my speciality, so as to expand my career path well. I must be responsible for my family and really hope they are all fine in the country.
Rossei said:
I have to give a brief background re: how I ended up in Canada before I tell my story. Here it goes:

I came to Canada back in 2005 in order to study Electrical Engineering at University of Windsor. I was the top student of one of the renowned high schools in Bangladesh and that raised the bar of expectation. I did moderately well at the engineering admission test in Bangladesh; but that wasn't satisfying to me or my parents. So, my mom took initiative to send me overseas for a quality education. At that time, I wasn't aware of uWindsor's reputation. I found a liaison office who dealt with uWindsor, UofT and York; I applied to both UofW & UofT and got admission. But I was told that I would have to wait another 8 months to get into UofT-Engineering; hence I had to choose uWindsor thinking that I would be able to transfer credit later.

Well, it wasn't easy to leave your home country at 19 especially when you're the only child of your parents. It certainly did not help when my father passed away all of a sudden at the beginning my 2nd semester. He was only 52 and the sole incoming member of our family. It unveiled huge pressure on me. I dropped that term, flew back home with heart-broken and then came back after 3 months due to my mom's unparalleled motivation. I was so troubled with the thought how I'm going to bear the cost in Canada; which hampered my 2nd year studies tremendously. We actually had to sell dad's shares in our business (limited company) although he had on-going plans to expand the business. Being very close to my mom, I thought I should earn my own and that led me to do co-op.

During my undergrad period, I had 4 co-op terms (24 months in total) which helped a lot to pay my tuition, bear other cost and finally land with a permanent job. Initially, I put studies aside to get my first placement and as a result, I didn't do well in my 2nd year. But I did pretty well in 3rd and extremely well in my last year. I even secured my permanent job with one of my co-op employers (a crown corp. of Ontario) in my final year.

For an extended co-op term and dropped semester due to my father's demise; my graduation got delayed almost by 2 years. Despite all these unforeseen circumstances, I graduated being Dean's listed. As soon as I graduated, I took time off before joining my employer and got married back home (to my girlfriend who was maintaining a long-distance relationship with me for the whole time). My employer helped me to apply for Ontario PNP and we got our PR within a year. I applied for Super Visa for my mom and she was approved. She visited us last year for the first time. I've just become eligible to apply for citizenship and we've bought our first house in this month. Only thing that needs to be sorted out is my wife's career path. She is an IMG (Int'l Medical Grad/ Foreign Trained Doctor) and it's a long (really long) shot in Canada.

So, life is treating us well. I wasn't fond of my university (especially with faculty/facilities/administration) nor Canadian life-style or weather; but I really appreciate the opportunities I've been given (which are rare back home). I believe that Canada can bring fortune if you're on the right path for yourself.

suttam

Star Member
Jun 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-2013
AOR Received.
26-10-2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
PER Date: 27-09-2013
Med's Request
21-12-2013
Med's Done....
updated on 20-01-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 22-02-2014
LANDED..........
April 2014
Friends, I am not sure how much money is a good insurance for someone like me who is travelling with his wife and 2 daughters age 3 & 7. Any comments after reading my below thoughts are highly appreciated.

My best bet is that I will take atleast 3x of the minimum that Canadian govt is asking for immigrants to bring. Say it is $21k that they ask to provide as POF for a family of 4. I intent to bring atleast $70k - $80k with me on my landing whenever it will happen in next year. FYI I am FSW13 applicant. Can I assume a more than reasonable lifestyle while not burning all my money in next 1 year with this amount? My understanding is that in $3.5K pm one can safely live a reasonable life with reasonable house/condo for stay, pay monthly utility bills and monthly groceries. If this is true then I will burn $42k in worst case scenario wherein I don't earn a single penny for whole of one year!!

Does this all sound practical?

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
suttam said:
Friends, I am not sure how much money is a good insurance for someone like me who is travelling with his wife and 2 daughters age 3 & 7. Any comments after reading my below thoughts are highly appreciated.

My best bet is that I will take atleast 3x of the minimum that Canadian govt is asking for immigrants to bring. Say it is $21k that they ask to provide as POF for a family of 4. I intent to bring atleast $70k - $80k with me on my landing whenever it will happen in next year. FYI I am FSW13 applicant. Can I assume a more than reasonable lifestyle while not burning all my money in next 1 year with this amount? My understanding is that in $3.5K pm one can safely live a reasonable life with reasonable house/condo for stay, pay monthly utility bills and monthly groceries. If this is true then I will burn $42k in worst case scenario wherein I don't earn a single penny for whole of one year!!

I think $3500/mo is more than enough for more than a reasonable lifestyle. Let's breakdown what you will need considering you have 2 growing kids:

House/Condo Rent: $1300 - $1800/mo
Utilities (if not included with rent): $200 - $300/mo
Condo Maintenance Fees (if not included with rent): $150 - $450/mo
Grocery: $500/mo
Auto+Tenant Insurances: $150 - $300/mo (if you buy a car)
Transportation/Gas: $150 - $250/mo
Internet/Phone/Cable: $200 - $300/mo

So, you would probably be using $2500 - $3000/mo. Don't forget that you would also earn Child Benefits for 2 ($300 - $500/each) per month which should lessen some of the burden.

Besides monthly cost, you should also consider some one term payments as well:

Vehicle (12k - 18k for a low km good quality used vehicle)
Furniture (5k - 10k for the whole house)
Electronics (TV, Computer, Sound system etc.)
Appliances (if they don't come with the house, they normally come with apartments)
* Any eye/dental treatment cost (not covered by Canadian Health Plans)

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
The above estimates are pretty good over all and were useful. +1.

suttam

Star Member
Jun 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-2013
AOR Received.
26-10-2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
PER Date: 27-09-2013
Med's Request
21-12-2013
Med's Done....
updated on 20-01-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 22-02-2014
LANDED..........
April 2014
Rossei said:
I think $3500/mo is more than enough for more than a reasonable lifestyle. Let's breakdown what you will need considering you have 2 growing kids:

House/Condo Rent: $1300 - $1800/mo
Utilities (if not included with rent): $200 - $300/mo
Condo Maintenance Fees (if not included with rent): $150 - $450/mo
Grocery: $500/mo
Auto+Tenant Insurances: $150 - $300/mo (if you buy a car)
Transportation/Gas: $150 - $250/mo
Internet/Phone/Cable: $200 - $300/mo

So, you would probably be using $2500 - $3000/mo. Don't forget that you would also earn Child Benefits for 2 ($300 - $500/each) per month which should lessen some of the burden.

Besides monthly cost, you should also consider some one term payments as well:

Vehicle (12k - 18k for a low km good quality used vehicle)
Furniture (5k - 10k for the whole house)
Electronics (TV, Computer, Sound system etc.)
Appliances (if they don't come with the house, they normally come with apartments)
Thanks dear!!! This really brings a great relief :)

I think I am prepared from finance perspective and now it is time to prepare my kids for a cultural and geographical change :)

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Thanks suttam and fkl.

It's a rough estimate. Rent and insurances may go high in any core area (i.e. downtown) of a major city (Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa). On the bright side, you wouldn't have to waste much in gas/transportation in those areas.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
suttam said:

Its worth to mention that 12 months without a job - is not a wild estimate - its more of a realistic estimate (if you are considering only professional jobs) - but if you are also considering survival jobs - then thats a different story (that one you can secure within few months of landing, or even in first month)

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Rossei said:
Thanks suttam and fkl.

It's a rough estimate. Rent and insurances may go high in any core area (i.e. downtown) of a major city (Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa). On the bright side, you wouldn't have to waste much in gas/transportation in those areas.
Sure i understand that. On another note people can even find good and cheaper places too. A friend of mine in IT (at a pretty experienced and decently paid role) found a place enough for his family (spouse and kid) and not too far from his work in Montreal costing just CAD 600.

Also i have heard that although tax (on salary) might be higher in Montreal compared to Ontario/Toronto, but it significantly reduces costs of other things i.e. another friend living in Toronto says he had to pay around 400-500 as driving insurance in Toronto in the initial yeas where as that in Montreal would be around 100-200.

What do you think of that? Are these seem like norm or extreme cases?

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
That is because no one wants to live in Montreal where there are language laws equal to Nazi Germany.

I have lived in Montreal for 15 years and in Toronto for 5 years (where I own a condo) and that place for $600 in Montreal will end up costing close to $1000 in the winder as places where your friend is renting (probably hochelaga or Verdun) are low income places with poor living standards.

Also, IT jobs in Montreal are grossly underpaid, unless your friend was hired from overseas and works for Ubisoft, so I am really wondering about your statement regarding a good salary. IT jobs in Toronto are easily paid twice as much, so any savings you think your friend is pocketing are fictional.

Yes, the car insurance is cheaper and rent is cheaper. Everything else is more expensive, including gas... so if your friend is driving, he is already spending 20% more on gas, so it completely negates the car insurance comparison. Also, driving in Montreal is like driving in the wild west, but that is another topic.

Good luck

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Well thank you for your feedback mrbeachman. It is quite harsh in some respects, but i am willing to dig out.

For one, i am pretty sure he is living a very comfortable life being hired from over seas for a very specific skill set. Suffice to say, the expense quoted above i.e. 3500 per month seems quite easily affordable for him to me even including a good deal of saving.

Salaries amounting in the range 80-90k per annum are considered good by you? or as a general standard?

mrbeachman said:
That is because no one wants to live in Montreal where there are language laws equal to Nazi Germany.

I have lived in Montreal for 15 years and in Toronto for 5 years (where I own a condo) and that place for $600 in Montreal will end up costing close to $1000 in the winder as places where your friend is renting (probably hochelaga or Verdun) are low income places with poor living standards.

Also, IT jobs in Montreal are grossly underpaid, unless your friend was hired from overseas and works for Ubisoft, so I am really wondering about your statement regarding a good salary. IT jobs in Toronto are easily paid twice as much, so any savings you think your friend is pocketing are fictional.

Yes, the car insurance is cheaper and rent is cheaper. Everything else is more expensive, including gas... so if your friend is driving, he is already spending 20% more on gas, so it completely negates the car insurance comparison. Also, driving in Montreal is like driving in the wild west, but that is another topic.

Good luck

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
80-90 is a very good salary indeed.

However a 90k salary after tax becomes 65k in Ontario and 60k in Quebec.

I can't emphasize enough, but I would avoid Montreal at all costs. It is about 10 times more racist than Toronto (which can be racist too) and this is coming from a white guy.

Again, good luck to you. The post is meant as a warning, not a criticism.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Moreover, from what i saw advertised on the internet on websites like kijiji etc., he originally rented a place online costing some where around 1150 per month including all utilities and even paid some initial amount by card which was not refunded when he didn't take it. A relative already living there found him this place of 600 which with utilities (heating, ph, internet, cable etc.) cost around 800. I don't really know which suburb it is in, but it is hard for me to digest he is not living in a posh area.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Sure, thank you - i really appreciate the intention and am trying to make the best use of the advice.

And this is coming from some one non white, only know English very well (zero french), Muslim with a beard, and is in the process of moving over at the moment (if visa materializes).

It is important to mention that if i get to live there permanently, i would be bringing family along i.e. school going kids.

The employer has another office in gatineau (many people there live in ottawa and commute to gatineau), and i had the option to chose but currently selected one was Montreal based upon what ever stats i could gather.

mrbeachman said:
80-90 is a very good salary indeed.

However a 90k salary after tax becomes 65k in Ontario and 60k in Quebec.

I can't emphasize enough, but I would avoid Montreal at all costs. It is about 10 times more racist than Toronto (which can be racist too) and this is coming from a white guy.

Again, good luck to you. The post is meant as a warning, not a criticism.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
I thought of adding my experience so far - in continuation to what i have already written above.

I landed in Montreal around mid Jan. Alone for the time being with plans to bring in family in a few months.

So far, the experience is pretty good. Language is a thing here i agree. But if you live in the west island (i am living in Pointe Claire, with a friend from back home, for now), almost every one speaks english.

Since i already work in Software, every one there speaks english and there is a mix of people there who come from all over the world. My work place is a bit far, in old Montreal as opposed to Pointe Claire. But the commute is not as bad because metro and buses are pretty good.

Although i plan to get a car by the time my family comes, probably going to work in car is not an option because it is hard to found parking in downtown / old montreal. But almost every thing else is easily available in good - a bit far, but not very expensive areas such as Pointe Claire, Kirkland etc.

windoski

Jun 13, 2013
polara69 said:
I do not know what you all were experiencing or expecting, but I love it here. Everyone is helpful and friendly, I got a job quickly, found a nice apartment, nice car. I cannot share any negative issues so far. For me it is just beautiful here and I am not in my 20s, yes I have given up but found again a great job, the wife is happy and we spend more time together than before.

It is important to see that not everything is bad in Canada, not every immigrant is suffering or having problems.
Thank you...that's more like what we should be reading here

Godbless