+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Experience during Soft Landing in Canada at the time of COVID-19 in June 2020 from USA

tchitnis

Aug 3, 2019
My Details:

Type of Application: Express Entry FSW
PR Application Date: September 15, 2019
COPR date of Approval: February 2, 2020

Landing Date in Canada: June 26, 2020
Landing Location: Blue Water Bridge, Sarnia, Ontario
Landing Time: 5 PM EST
Mode of Transport: Personal Vehicle

My Experience

I live in USA on work visa and I applied to Canada PR in search of a better life without visa issues. I decided to perform my landing formalities on June 26, 2020 through Sarnia, ON. Since I was approved as a PR before March 18, 2020 I was exempt from the USA-Canada border restrictions.

I started from Chicago, IL in the morning in my personal vehicle and drove to Port Huron, MI with intermediate stops to buy groceries. I had read about the 14-day mandatory quarantine requirement put in place by Government of Canada for COVID19. I bought enough groceries for isolating at home for 14 days. I reached the Blue Water Bridge at 5 PM to cross the border. On my way to the bridge, there were a bunch of signs showing ‘Bridge to Canada’ board and my excitement was growing as I passed each board. Then there came a sign saying ‘Last Exit to USA’ but I moved on. My excitement had reached its peak by now. There was a toll booth just before the bridge and I payed $3 with my credit card to access the bridge. As a started out onto the bridge, suddenly my Google Maps shouted ‘Welcome to Canada !!’. Now, I was both excited and nervous for the next process. The Google Maps quickly shifted from ‘miles’ to ‘kilometers’ and from ‘MPH’ to ‘KMPH’ and asked me to slow down from 50 MPH to 50 KMPH. The road bifurcated into two separate entry posts, one for Semis and other for Cars. There was literally No One at the border apart from me who was there to complete the landing formalities. I entered the entry post in my car and saw an officer there. I was wearing a face mask. He asked me for my passport and the COPR papers. Next, he asked me following questions:

• Why are you here today?
    • I said I am here to immigrate
  • What do you do in USA?
    • I said I work in XYZ company and I live in Illinois state
  • Where are you headed to in Canada? And do you have a plan for 14-day quarantine?
    • I said I have booked an Airbnb for 14 days and I plan to stay there for all those days to quarantine
    • I handed out my plan for quarantine that included booking receipt of Airbnb, My insurance documents, Receipts of all the Groceries that I brought with me
  • How many days are you going to stay?
    • I said I will stay for 15 days and return to USA
At this point, he handed over my Passport and a yellow page which mentioned all the answers that I just gave and pointed at a big office that said ‘Customs Office’ and asked me to park my car there and go inside

I drove there and parked my car. I took my documents and went inside it. Inside, it was all deserted and there was not even a single person waiting for completing their formalities. It looked like all the officers in there were waiting to pounce on the first person that walked into that office There were 6 booths and 4 of them were occupied with officers. One of the officers waived at me and I walked up to that booth. The officer asked me for my passport, the yellow page from above and my COPR documents. The officer asked me loudly ‘ Why are you here?’ and that too ‘just for 15 days’. I said I was here to complete my landing formalities and would quarantine for 14 days and would return back to USA on the 15 day. The officer looked a bit furious because I was traveling during a pandemic. The officer asked me ‘What do you do in the USA?’, I said I work. The officer asked me the Employment Offer Letter and Pay slips for last 12 months.

Next The officer asked me the bank statements that showed enough money required for settlement. At this point, I was asked to go and sit in the waiting room until they cross checked my documents. It took them about 10 minutes to go through the documents and I was asked to come to the booth again. Now they asked me for my List of Accompanying Goods and List of Goods to Follow along with an address where my PR card would be sent to. I had already filled up the form BSF186 with all that information and gave them that. They asked me if there anything in your car that is not listed on the Form, I said I haven’t included the list of groceries and gave them the receipt. They again asked me to wait and they finalized the BSF186 list by including the groceries on the list.

My heart was racing! I was called to the booth again. They asked me for my plan for 14-day quarantine once again and cross checked my Airbnb reservation against their database. They made copies of all the documents I had given and returned my copies.

Their last sentence: “Congratulations!! Welcome to Canada!” I heaved a sigh of relief!!!! They said a bunch of things after this but I don’t remember any of it lol! I was too excited and relieved! Finally, my wish had been fulfilled. I am now an official PR of Canada. I walked out of the office and headed straight to my Airbnb to quarantine.

Last edited:

Danaan

Star Member
Jan 23, 2017
Virginia, USA
App. Filed.......
15-05-2017
Thank you for sharing your experience. I was wondering about bringing groceries for the 14 day quarantine as part of the goods accompanying. Did you have have any fresh food, or just non-perishables? Is there anything that they wouldn't allow you to bring?

rachel6992

Star Member
Oct 31, 2009
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
April 5th 2010
Passport Req..
July 19th 2010
LANDED..........
August 11, 2010
Congrats! I had a couple questions.. did they call or check on you during your 14 day quarantine? Also, when you officially move there, are you driving a UHaul or hiring movers?
I didn't consider bringing groceries with me across the border when we move back from the USA, but that's actually a really good idea. Did they give you a hard time with perishables, like Danaan asked?

guca

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
My Details:

My Experience

I live in USA on work visa and I applied to Canada PR in search of a better life without visa issues. I decided to perform my landing formalities on June 26, 2020 through Sarnia, ON. Since I was approved as a PR before March 18, 2020 I was exempt from the USA-Canada border restrictions.

I started from Chicago, IL in the morning in my personal vehicle and drove to Port Huron, MI with intermediate stops to buy groceries. I had read about the 14-day mandatory quarantine requirement put in place by Government of Canada for COVID19. I bought enough groceries for isolating at home for 14 days. I reached the Blue Water Bridge at 5 PM to cross the border. On my way to the bridge, there were a bunch of signs showing ‘Bridge to Canada’ board and my excitement was growing as I passed each board. Then there came a sign saying ‘Last Exit to USA’ but I moved on. My excitement had reached its peak by now. There was a toll booth just before the bridge and I payed $3 with my credit card to access the bridge. As a started out onto the bridge, suddenly my Google Maps shouted ‘Welcome to Canada !!’. Now, I was both excited and nervous for the next process. The Google Maps quickly shifted from ‘miles’ to ‘kilometers’ and from ‘MPH’ to ‘KMPH’ and asked me to slow down from 50 MPH to 50 KMPH. The road bifurcated into two separate entry posts, one for Semis and other for Cars. There was literally No One at the border apart from me who was there to complete the landing formalities. I entered the entry post in my car and saw an officer there. I was wearing a face mask. He asked me for my passport and the COPR papers. Next, he asked me following questions:

• What do you do in USA?
  • Where are you headed to in Canada? And do you have a plan for 14-day quarantine?
    • I said I have booked an Airbnb for 14 days and I plan to stay there for all those days to quarantine
    • I handed out my plan for quarantine that included booking receipt of Airbnb, My insurance documents, Receipts of all the Groceries that I brought with me
At this point, he handed over my Passport and a yellow page which mentioned all the answers that I just gave and pointed at a big office that said ‘Customs Office’ and asked me to park my car there and go inside

I drove there and parked my car. I took my documents and went inside it. Inside, it was all deserted and there was not even a single person waiting for completing their formalities. It looked like all the officers in there were waiting to pounce on the first person that walked into that office There were 6 booths and 4 of them were occupied with officers. One of the officers waived at me and I walked up to that booth. The officer asked me for my passport, the yellow page from above and my COPR documents. The officer asked me loudly ‘ Why are you here?’ and that too ‘just for 15 days’. I said I was here to complete my landing formalities and would quarantine for 14 days and would return back to USA on the 15 day. The officer looked a bit furious because I was traveling during a pandemic. The officer asked me ‘What do you do in the USA?’, I said I work. The officer asked me the Employment Offer Letter and Pay slips for last 12 months.

Next The officer asked me the bank statements that showed enough money required for settlement. At this point, I was asked to go and sit in the waiting room until they cross checked my documents. It took them about 10 minutes to go through the documents and I was asked to come to the booth again. Now they asked me for my List of Accompanying Goods and List of Goods to Follow along with an address where my PR card would be sent to. I had already filled up the form BSF186 with all that information and gave them that. They asked me if there anything in your car that is not listed on the Form, I said I haven’t included the list of groceries and gave them the receipt. They again asked me to wait and they finalized the BSF186 list by including the groceries on the list.

My heart was racing! I was called to the booth again. They asked me for my plan for 14-day quarantine once again and cross checked my Airbnb reservation against their database. They made copies of all the documents I had given and returned my copies.

Their last sentence: “Congratulations!! Welcome to Canada!” I heaved a sigh of relief!!!! They said a bunch of things after this but I don’t remember any of it lol! I was too excited and relieved! Finally, my wish had been fulfilled. I am now an official PR of Canada. I walked out of the office and headed straight to my Airbnb to quarantine.
What groceries were you allowed in?

kp549

May 10, 2020
I would say don't get in to hassle of bringing food/grocery and providing a list and all. Use Instacart instead when you are in quarantine. You get pretty much everything you need.

bcpnpapplicant

Star Member
Jan 17, 2019
San Francisco
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-08-2019
My Details:

My Experience

• What do you do in USA?

Where did you put your personal vehicle that you traveled in, Goods accompanying or goods to follow list? Since you are returning back to US in 15 days, it doesn't make sense to permanently import your vehicle right? Please let me know as I plan to take my personal vehicle for landing

tchitnis

Aug 3, 2019
Thank you for sharing your experience. I was wondering about bringing groceries for the 14 day quarantine as part of the goods accompanying. Did you have have any fresh food, or just non-perishables? Is there anything that they wouldn't allow you to bring?
Just include groceries (perishables + non-perishables) as a part of Goods to Accompany list. You cannot bring cash more than $10,000. You can carry everything else with you

tchitnis

Aug 3, 2019
Congrats! I had a couple questions.. did they call or check on you during your 14 day quarantine? Also, when you officially move there, are you driving a UHaul or hiring movers?
I didn't consider bringing groceries with me across the border when we move back from the USA, but that's actually a really good idea. Did they give you a hard time with perishables, like Danaan asked?
I drove in my own car and whatever i had in my car went into the List of Goods to Accompany. Everything else went on Goods to Follow List.
They do give you a call every alternate day to check on you and they try to make sure that you have not left the place of quarantine. So please strictly follow the 14-day quarantine procedure
They are very understanding in terms of groceries since you cannot go out during the 14-day quarantine period, they dont give you a hard time in anything

Reactions: Danaan

tchitnis

Aug 3, 2019
Where did you put your personal vehicle that you traveled in, Goods accompanying or goods to follow list? Since you are returning back to US in 15 days, it doesn't make sense to permanently import your vehicle right? Please let me know as I plan to take my personal vehicle for landing
Its upto you. If you want to import the cart during soft landing, you can put it on the Goods to Accompany. If you want to do it later, it would go on Goods to Follow. There is no specific rule to this. Whatever suits your needs

tchitnis

Aug 3, 2019
I would say don't get in to hassle of bringing food/grocery and providing a list and all. Use Instacart instead when you are in quarantine. You get pretty much everything you need.
You are absolutely right! I did not know of instacart until i went to Canada but they provide all kinds of groceries right at the place of quarantine

ramanareddy88

Jul 4, 2020
Thanks for sharing with us. This really helps. I'm planning to travel to canada this week by car. I'm making a reservation in Airbnb. Not planning to bring any groceries. I have below questions.
1. I'm planning to rent airbnb for 14 days. Is that receipt good enough?
2. Do we need to take any specific medical insurance? I see we have to mention this in the plan that we provide
3. I'm taking a bank statement with required funds. Is it good enough?
4. Which address you gave for the delivery of PR cards.?I have my friend's address to give for delivery of PR cards. Not sure if this is a concern.

Thanks!

Last edited:

guca

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Thanks for sharing with us. This really helps. I'm planning to travel to canada this week by car. I'm making a reservation in Airbnb. Not planning to bring any groceries. I have below questions.
1. I'm planning to rent airbnb for 14 days. Is that receipt good enough?
2. Do we need to take any specific medical insurance? I see we have to mention this in the plan that we provide
3. I'm taking a bank statement with required funds. Is it good enough?

Thanks!
1. The receipt is good enough. They need address where you will quarantine and a number where they can call you.
2. Some US medical insurance works in Canada too. They don't ask for it at the border.
3. Bank statements with enough funds is enough.
They do ask how you will arrange for medicines, food, so have a plan for it too.

guca

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
I was told no fresh fruits or vegetables strictly

Reactions: Danaan