+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My current company went down. Do my current work hours gets invalidated?

Ashray

Nov 22, 2016
Hi everybody,

I have a total of 1570 hours in 12 months in a full-time NOC B job

Breakdown:
November 2018 to January 2019- varying from 25 hours/week to 30 hours/week
Feb 2019 to August 2019- varying from 35 hours/week to 45hourse/week

Additional details:
1) On September 5, 2019, my employer temporarily went out of business, the entire staff was laid-off, but worked occasionally
2) Between September 2019 till this date (Feb 2020)- in 6 months worked occasionally, total 4 weeks, less than 30 hours/week
3) On Feb 21, 2020, I received a termination letter stating the company will be permanently shutting down its operation.
4) Currently, I am searching for a job in a similar NOC code or NOC level but looking at the market situation I might not get a job soon.

1) How do I calculate my total work hours?
2) As my employer's sudden decision to shut off the operation without letting the staff know in advance. Do I get an exemption? What can I do in this case?
3) How soon should I find another job with a similar NOC level? I don't want my current work hours to be revoked/ gets invalidated.

Tanglechuu

Star Member
Jan 24, 2020
It seems you currently have over 1 year equivalent continuous work experience, so dont worry about there being a gap, you have cleared the bar for continuous experience. Next you will need to get the document.

If you are able to get the reference letter now, on letterhead, when the company has just ceased operations I think that will be your best bet. But I understand that wont necessarily be possible.

I was also in your shoes, and I applied for PR recently. I worked 3 years for a company that went out of business in 2016. Obviously there's no way to get the letter anymore. Based on what others have done, here was what I supplied:

1. Document from the place the company was incorporated showing that it was dissolved.
2. My offer letter showing my benefits, salary, title, etc.
3. Termination letter showing the end date.
4. Notarized letter from my boss saying he was my boss and giving everything needed for the reference letter (roles and responsibilities, etc)
5. Tax forms for the years I worked there. If I had pay slips I would have used that, but I didn't.

I'll let you know how it goes. I don't think your work experience should be invalidated just because the company went out of business. This happens and I'm sure that people have gotten PR despite it. Hopefully someone who has successfully gotten PR in our situation can weigh in.

Tanglechuu

Star Member
Jan 24, 2020
It seems you currently have over 1 year equivalent continuous work experience, so dont worry about there being a gap, you have cleared the bar for continuous experience. Next you will need to get the document.

If you are able to get the reference letter now, on letterhead, when the company has just ceased operations I think that will be your best bet. But I understand that wont necessarily be possible.

I was also in your shoes, and I applied for PR recently. I worked 3 years for a company that went out of business in 2016. Obviously there's no way to get the letter anymore. Based on what others have done, here was what I supplied:

1. Document from the place the company was incorporated showing that it was dissolved.
2. My offer letter showing my benefits, salary, title, etc.
3. Termination letter showing the end date.
4. Notarized letter from my boss saying he was my boss and giving everything needed for the reference letter (roles and responsibilities, etc)
5. Tax forms for the years I worked there. If I had pay slips I would have used that, but I didn't.

I'll let you know how it goes. I don't think your work experience should be invalidated just because the company went out of business. This happens and I'm sure that people have gotten PR despite it. Hopefully someone who has successfully gotten PR in our situation can weigh in.
Sorry, I based my assumption that you had cleared 1 year because of your first line saying 1570 hours. If that is your total hours and not your calculated hours then you may not have 1 year experience yet.

To calculate your time, you need to know your hours for each week. For each week over 30 hours, you count 30 hours. For each week below 30 hours, you count the number of hours work. That will be your equivalent hours. 1560 hours is equal to 1 year.