+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

my conjugal sponsored partner, married someone else! am i still responsible?

ShawnCanuck

Oct 20, 2013
my conjugal sponsored partner, married someone else! am i still responsible?​

So after 4-5 years together and last year our conjugal relationship broke down.
As soon as she received her PR and was eligible to work she moved out into someone else's home and married him 9 months after.

Can anyone help ? Am I honestly still suppose to be responsible for someone else's wife!

I know its a 3 year term but in this situation I don't feel its fair what so ever. there is 2 years remaining on her PR.
There should be some sort of exception.... she should be sponsored by her new husband and I shouldn't be expected to be
responsible for her now.

The situation is bad enough but to have my life on hold makes it even worse.

Sincerely Confused and feels Used.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If it's within the 3 years period of the undertaking that you signed, you are still liable to pay back any social assistance costs that your ex gets from the Canadian Government. It's for exactly this sort of situation that you need to be very careful about who you sponsor. From the CIC website..
Important information. The undertaking is an unconditional promise of support. For example, the granting of Canadian citizenship, divorce, separation or relationship breakdown or moving to another province does not cancel the undertaking. The undertaking also remains in effect even if your financial situation deteriorates.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What zardoz said.

As long as the sponsorship application was submitted before October 25, 2012 - you're on the hook for three years regardless of the status of your relationship.

Sorry things didn't work out...

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As the saying goes the law is an ass (stupid) but as per the not very fine print its doesn't matter the situation you are on the hook - CIC working hard to protect tax payer money is the rational. Hope things work out for you.

ShawnCanuck

Oct 20, 2013
zardoz said:
If it's within the 3 years period of the undertaking that you signed, you are still liable to pay back any social assistance costs that your ex gets from the Canadian Government. It's for exactly this sort of situation that you need to be very careful about who you sponsor. From the CIC website..
=====================
there is no social assistance what so ever.... she works and I work... shes in a different province and working... and now married.... and I was asking for help on the rules etc... not a judgement on my relationship.. like I said it was a 4-5 year relationship... sometimes they just don't work out.

=======================

my point was and is.... since shes married someone else... isn't there a rule where that person assumes responsibility for her....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ShawnCanuck said:
my point was and is.... since shes married someone else... isn't there a rule where that person assumes responsibility for her....
No - there is no such rule. The sponsorship undertaking you signed when you agreed to sponsor her makes you responsible for her for three years after she lands and becomes a PR. Again, it doesn't matter if your relationship dissolves and she marries someone else. You're still responsible because you, as the sponsor, signed the paperwork. However as long as she doesn't go on welfare during that three year period, there will be no financial hit to you.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
ShawnCanuck said:
and I was asking for help on the rules etc... not a judgement on my relationship.
Sorry if it sounded like a judgement. It was not intended as such. It was a warning to others reading this thread that sponsorship is a serious commitment, as when it does go bad, you cannot get out of it. It can, and has, broken some sponsors. There are some distressing examples given by other users of this forum.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No there is no such rule, she is not a dog where the change of owner carries over the responsibility for medical files or yearly shots. You made the effort to sponsor her therefore you are liable for upto 3 years. Immigration has your name listed under her file therefore you are responsible. Its thats simple. Just pray to all the Gods that she dosen't go on welfare.

ShawnCanuck

Oct 20, 2013
newtone said:
No there is no such rule, she is not a dog where the change of owner carries over the responsibility for medical files or yearly shots. You made the effort to sponsor her therefore you are liable for upto 3 years. Immigration has your name listed under her file therefore you are responsible. Its thats simple. Just pray to all the Gods that she dosen't go on welfare.
No one is sugesting that she is a dog or a pet! Thankfully she is working and the law has changed now so that things like this dont happen. the one being sponsored has to remain with the sponcer for at least 2 years after. Its too bad things broke down between us and im not going to discuss that. I just wanted to know what my rights were especially since she is married someone else. Im not sour, i have moved on myself and although im not married someday i would like to be able to just move on with my life.

ShawnCanuck

Oct 20, 2013
Something else id like to know if any one might know the answer.
When she goes for a PR renewal.
Will she need to get a new PR from who she is with
since i wont be signing the form?
How does that work?

ShawnCanuck

Oct 20, 2013
scylla said:
What zardoz said.

As long as the sponsorship application was submitted before October 25, 2012 - you're on the hook for three years regardless of the status of your relationship.

Sorry things didn't work out...
Thank you!

ShawnCanuck

Oct 20, 2013
Msafiri said:
As the saying goes the law is an ass (stupid) but as per the not very fine print its doesn't matter the situation you are on the hook - CIC working hard to protect tax payer money is the rational. Hope things work out for you.
Thank you, I appreciate the replies, unfortunately we dont think everything through sometimes. i wish her all the best but im just trying to move on with my life.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ShawnCanuck said:
How does that work?
When she goes for PR renewal she will simply apply to renew her PR status. Who she is or isn't in a relationship with at that time is immaterial.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ShawnCanuck said:
How does that work?
If you applied before the date they changed the rules, she became a fully fledged PR the day she landed so she does not need your signature for anything. She can apply to renew her PR card when it expires like any other PR as long as she meets the residency obligation.

aussiepete

Oct 31, 2009
Whitehorse Yukon
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-10-2005
File Transfer...
14-01-2006
Passport Req..
23-01-2006
VISA ISSUED...
27-01-2006
LANDED..........
23-03-2006
ShawnCanuck said:
my conjugal sponsored partner, married someone else! am i still responsible?​

Can anyone help ? Am I honestly still suppose to be responsible for someone else's wife!

I know its a 3 year term but in this situation I don't feel its fair what so ever. there is 2 years remaining on her PR.
How would it be fair for me and other tax payers to pay her welfare???? You sponsored her so deal with it!