+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Cic Photograph help?? please

Justin86

Feb 12, 2013
I've been trying for hours now to get the photograph under the right specifications but have no idea where i am going wrong

Digital Photo

Dimensions:
• The final frame size of the photo must be at least 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8" x 1 ¾").
• The photographs must show the full front view of the head, with the face in the middle of the photograph, and include the top of the shoulders.
• The size of the head, from chin to crown, must be between 31 mm (1 ¼") and 36 mm (1 7/16").
• Digital dimensions are often expressed in pixels or DPI (dots per inch). The physical dimensions in pixels must be at least 420 x 540.
Quality/Resolution:
• If an existing photo is being scanned, the minimum resolution must be 600 pixels per inch.
File Format:
• The file may be submitted in JPEG or JPEG2000 format.
File Size:
• The final size of the image should be ideally 240 kB (kilobytes), but not less than 60 kB.
Colour:
• The image must be in color (24 bits per pixel) in sRGB colour space which is the common output for most digital cameras.
If i use a digital photo which i've taken the only way i can meet all criteria is to have a full body shot whilst keeping my face within those requirements. However, the requirements just says head and shoulders

I took some passport photo's today, so my face is within the dimensions required and scanned them in at a high resolution. This file from scan is 327kb yet that picture is big when i scan it in. If i reduce the size and print and check it's the size of a passport photo, the picture doesn't even come close to being 60kb.

Where am i going wrong here?? someone help me please

Is there anything wrong with this photo?

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
Mine was over 1mb
They never stated a maximum size, only a suggestion
I tried fiddling around for at least an hour trying to reduce the size, use a different camera and what not but all cameras are different and it depends on the type of file (e.g. jpeg). If you take the picture straight out of your smartphone or camera the file size is HUGE. But after converting it to JPEG, it's too small. So I said 'the hell with it, they didnt actually state a maximum size, so I'm just going to send it straight out of my iphone'

Reactions: alexross

Justin86

Feb 12, 2013
simonvee said:
Mine was over 1mb
They never stated a maximum size, only a suggestion
I tried fiddling around for at least an hour trying to reduce the size, use a different camera and what not but all cameras are different and it depends on the type of file (e.g. jpeg). If you take the picture straight out of your smartphone or camera the file size is HUGE. But after converting it to JPEG, it's too small. So I said 'the hell with it, they didnt actually state a maximum size, so I'm just going to send it straight out of my iphone'
How did you manage to keep your face within the dimensions though?
If i try to keep my face in any photo at 3mm, the file becomes so small. Unless the photo is from a huge distance.

Any chance you could either send me or upload the picture you took? Just to give me some guidance please?

Justin86

Feb 12, 2013
simonvee said:
I got it professionally done it one of those passport photo kiosk at the mall. It's only $10
So it looks like the one in my opening post then? It's just a vague guideline.
Is it me or is it impossible to have a picture of your head and shoulders, keeping your face size at 3mm whilst keeping the file over 60kb?

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
I couldnt tell you. I got mine professionally done. Why not put $10 to invest in something that will guarantee 0% stress for that aspect of the application?

Justin86

Feb 12, 2013
simonvee said:
I couldnt tell you. I got mine professionally done. Why not put $10 to invest in something that will guarantee 0% stress for that aspect of the application?
I didn't even know those places existed :D

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Justin86 said:
I didn't even know those places existed :D
@Justin86

Basically you need a Software Like Photo Shop or any Other Image Editing Software to fix the resolution and Dimensions of this Scanned / Digital Camera Picture. BY using that Image Editing Software you should only fix the Resolution and Size as per CIC specs, You should not re-touch that photograph with that software ( e.g Air Brush or any other effects ) .

I checked your Pic which u have uploaded following are my findings.

I think may be in your case file size is not matching with Specs The physical dimensions in pixels must be at least 420 x 540. But your Image has 342 x 480

In your pic Size : 59.7 KB and Size on Disk is 60.0 KB so try to increase the Size a little bit.
Because Server might verify the Size

I hope this helps.

Specs I got from MyCIC :

Dimensions:
• The final frame size of the photo must be at least 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8" x 1 ¾").
• The photographs must show the full front view of the head, with the face in the middle of the photograph, and include the top of the shoulders.
• The size of the head, from chin to crown, must be between 31 mm (1 ¼") and 36 mm (1 7/16").
• Digital dimensions are often expressed in pixels or DPI (dots per inch). The physical dimensions in pixels must be at least 420 x 540.
Quality/Resolution:
• If an existing photo is being scanned, the minimum resolution must be 600 pixels per inch.
File Format:
File Size:
• The final size of the image should be ideally 240 kB (kilobytes), but not less than 60 kB.
Colour:
• The image must be in color (24 bits per pixel) in sRGB colour space which is the common output for most digital cameras.

Justin86

Feb 12, 2013
Thank you for your help, i'm still trying to work around it, wish i knew more about photography stuff.

Lorelei

Mar 1, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2013
AOR Received.
13-09-2013
Med's Done....
21-05-2013
I took my pictures at photo store,they are the right size but I have problem with scaning them.

I read the specification,but should I just scan them and leave it like that or do i have to resize it and if I do how to? I'dont have any expirience doing that.

peoplesoft

Jan 31, 2013
Use epassportphoto dot com

From the homepage, select the appropriate specification (using the drop downs) and submit.

Next page, it will offer you its professional services for about USD1.50. Use that or find a link at the bottom, "Or, you can use our FREE Do It Yourself service." I picked the free option. Follow the easy instructions on the next page(s).

It gave me a sheet with 4 photos with the correct digital size and ratios. All I had to do then was to use photoshop and crop one image off that sheet (I needed only one).

Good luck!

salmunsu

Star Member
Apr 17, 2015
Use Photoshop, Get pictures done in the right size at COSTCO for 7$. Easiest thing I have ever done. And you can get a high quality image output.

Nabila Khan

Mar 14, 2015
Instead of scanning if I upload the digital photo directly as a JPEG file, taking care of all the specifications, how do I show the date of the picture taken?

O_Canada said:
@ Justin86

Basically you need a Software Like Photo Shop or any Other Image Editing Software to fix the resolution and Dimensions of this Scanned / Digital Camera Picture. BY using that Image Editing Software you should only fix the Resolution and Size as per CIC specs, You should not re-touch that photograph with that software ( e.g Air Brush or any other effects ) .

I checked your Pic which u have uploaded following are my findings.

I think may be in your case file size is not matching with Specs The physical dimensions in pixels must be at least 420 x 540. But your Image has 342 x 480

In your pic Size : 59.7 KB and Size on Disk is 60.0 KB so try to increase the Size a little bit.
Because Server might verify the Size

I hope this helps.

Specs I got from MyCIC :

Dimensions:
Quality/Resolution:
File Format:
File Size:
Colour:

aliveli33

Apr 25, 2015
Gents,

They want at least 35 mm x 45 mm -- this corresponds to 413 x 531 pixel..

Any way of getting 35 mm x 45 mm with 420 x 540..

Thanks...

Reactions: pseetha

abdulqayyum

Dec 22, 2013
Please help how can pictures be produced as per CIC specs (in terms of Size (60 kb), Pixel Resolution, and Frame Size?