+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My child is out of the country

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by Iampreciousd, Sep 17, 2019.

  1. Hi everyone,

    I just want to know what will happen with our Child Tax Benefit if my son is currently out of the country to live with my mom?

    I already declared to CRA the I am not primarily responsible with his care. Will the benefit save up till he gets back here?

    My plan is he'll just stay outside Canada for 2 years then return back until I get to save money for the two of us as I am a single parent.

    Thank you!
  2. No - the benefit will not save up until he gets back.

    While he is outside of the country, you don't qualify for the payments. Once he is back in Canada and living here, he will qualify for the payments again - but only going forward.
    jddd likes this.
  3. The CCB is intended to offset the expense of raising a child in Canada which I am sure you have realized is very high if you had to send your child home to live with your mother. If the child is not in Canada there aren’t those huge expenses to offset. You did the right thing contacting CRA because if you don’t you have to pay back the CCB with a penalty.
    jddd likes this.

Share This Page