+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

my child got trp till oct 30 2023 can i sponser her when i land in canada , i will be short on residency obligation by 10 months

Arsalanza

Star Member
Apr 4, 2017
hello everyone my pr card expires in june 2024 , i plan to land by june 2023 , i applied for by child trv in june 2022 , i was meeting residency obligation at that time,
but it took a lot of time , they later gave her trp in january which is valid until oct 2023 . if i land in canada with her in june , can i apply for her pr ? we lost alot of time due to covid and pregancy , please help me

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hello everyone my pr card expires in june 2024 , i plan to land by june 2023 , i applied for by child trv in june 2022 , i was meeting residency obligation at that time,
but it took a lot of time , they later gave her trp in january which is valid until oct 2023 . if i land in canada with her in june , can i apply for her pr ? we lost alot of time due to covid and pregancy , please help me
You risk your own PR status if you apply to sponsor your child before you are compliant with your RO. If your PR card expires inJune 2024 then the 5 years from your landing date is likely in March/April 2024. The expiry date on your PR card is not related to your RO. How much time will you have spent in Canada in the 5 years from your landing date if you do not leave Canada once you enter? If you have a spouse did they return to be compliant with their RO or are you both not compliant with your RO? How much time did you spend on your original landing before leaving? If you land by June 2023 you may have less than half of the days required for RO and RO is very lenient.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You will not want to sponsor your child until you meet RO. If you do it can risk your own PR, and start removal proceedings. Expiry card isn't related to meeting RO. Make sure you have health insurance for your child as child will not have access to government healthcare until PR.

Arsalanza

Star Member
Apr 4, 2017
i spent 2 months only when i landed in 2019 , so in 5 years i would have spent 14 months in canada until my 5 years expired ,
i have strong reasons , first was covid and then was the birth of my daughter .

please tell me one thing , why would they give her a trp if i was not complaint with my ro ?

if i dont sponser her what will she do after her trp expires

does she not get health on trp ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
i spent 2 months only when i landed in 2019 , so in 5 years i would have spent 14 months in canada until my 5 years expired ,
i have strong reasons , first was covid and then was the birth of my daughter .

please tell me one thing , why would they give her a trp if i was not complaint with my ro ?

if i dont sponser her what will she do after her trp expires

does she not get health on trp ?
They are giving you a TRP because your PR card has not expired. It it just that you don’t meet RO. Two different things - PR expiry and RO. Applying for your child’s PR can trigger your removal because you don’t meet RO. She is entering on a TRP so depends on province and case number. You would not have health care either depending on province as there are waiting periods. Contact the provincial authority.