+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My CEC Application now 'In Process" (NOC 4122 - Research Assistant/TA)

Essat

Star Member
Sep 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-March-2010
AOR Received.
13-May-2010
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
To LA on 10-Nov-2010
Med's Request
08-12-2010
Med's Done....
14-01-2011, sent 26-01-2011
Passport Req..
13-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2011
LANDED..........
05-Jun-2011
Hi,

Just an update: My application was received on March 11, 2010 and my e-CAS has just been updated to 'In Process" - it says processing began on May 13, 2010.

I had initially applied through the FSW3 category, received AOR on Jan 25, 2010 and my 120 days will be over soon. I need to make a decision soon and withdraw the FSW application in order to get a refund!
Essat

I

iloveimmuno

Congratulations!

I have a query and since you are in the NOC 4122 category, you might be the right person to answer this.

I started as a MSc student in Canada in September 2008 with my tution and stipend paid by the university. I have converted my MSc into PhD graduate program. I want to apply for canadian PR, but Im not sure to apply through which category: CEC or skilled worker.

If I apply through CEC, I can't choose "graduate" stream as I dont have a degree from Canada yet. I wonder since I get a stipend, am I eligible for "temporary foreign worker" stream?

OR

should I apply through skilled worker's category? I gave the self assessment test and for "arranged employment" I clicked: No arranged employment. However, when they ask for work exp. I clicked that I do have work exp as I fall under NOC 4122. By doing this I am able to secure >67 marks. So is this the right category for me?

I guess what specifically I want to ask is 1. is stipend earned as a RA makes me eligible to click option "have work exp"

Thanks in advance.

Essat

Star Member
Sep 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-March-2010
AOR Received.
13-May-2010
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
To LA on 10-Nov-2010
Med's Request
08-12-2010
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
13-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2011
LANDED..........
05-Jun-2011
Hi iloveimmuno,

As of today, you do not qualify for either of the CEC streams since you haven't graduated from a Canadian educational institution and you don't have 24 months work experience in Canada. However, you can qualify in Sept. 2010 under the 'temporary foreign worker" stream if you can prove that your RA was full-time.

Yes, the RA job (NOC 4122, skill level A) qualifies as work experience, as long as you are paid. If the self assessment test gives you >67 pts, then you may qualify under the FSW3 category. Please read carefully the requirements on this website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

Essat

I

iloveimmuno

Thanks a lot for the reply :)

I know I can't file before Sept 2010. I was going through the forum and according to some people stipend earned through fellowship does not count towrds income.

Ok here is my status: I get a fellowship and a T4A form every year. I am a graduate student (PhD) so I am considering myself a RA. Does it work out like this? OR what is the evidence needed for RA?

Thanks again

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
But are you actually an employee of the university?

Look at this chart from the UWO (not saying it will be identical to your university, but the CRA rules should be the same).

Graduate Research Assistants (GRA) versus Research Assistants (RA) the Differences
http://www.grad.uwo.ca/faculty_staff/pay_information.htm

But look - contact your university's human resource department. They can probably give you the answer.

The documentation requirements would be the same as for any other position. Your biggest challenge will be documenting the number of hours worked.

Essat

Star Member
Sep 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-March-2010
AOR Received.
13-May-2010
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
To LA on 10-Nov-2010
Med's Request
08-12-2010
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
13-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2011
LANDED..........
05-Jun-2011
Re: My CEC Application now 'In Process" (NOC 4122 - G-Research Assistant/TA)

Thanks Jes_ON for bringing up the difference between GRA and RA. The UWO info actually also applies to my university. But I think what matters most is not the title but the actual duties performed. What's also important to note is that the GRA may not be university employment but a Professor employment (although appointments and payments are through the university payroll).

The 4122 NOC code lists duties that are clearly performed by a GRA and if you look at the employment requirements, enrolment in a university, college or CEGEP program is required and so CIC is well aware of graduate students working for Professors as GRA's. So clearly, all iloveimmuno needs is a letter from his/her supervisor indicating that iloveimmuno is his/her employee and all other details including the duties performed and the number of hours worked.

I should also note that I am a PhD student working as a GRA (full time) and GTA (only ~ 160 hours/year) and I get a T4A and T4 and that's what I sent to Buffalo. I also sent the Notice of Assessment, my Professors offer letter for the GRA, Departmental offer letters for the GTA, reference letter for the GRA work (from Professor), and reference letters from professors that I have worked for as GTA.
Everything was between me and the professors!
Essat

I

iloveimmuno

Thank you jes_ON and Essat. Really appreciate your help :)

I finally called CIC agent today and they said the same thing as jes_ON. Fellowship earned towards my degree program or as a part of my study does not count as work income and therefore I cannot use this as work experience. So clearly CEC class is a no for me.

I asked him for skilled worker class and again since I do not have a "work" experience, this class is also not open for me.

So according to CIC agent, I will have to finish my PhD and get a "real" job....this will take me minimum 3 years :(

But then again, there has to be a way around it. I know that students get PR before they finish their studies. and as Essat said, "it all has to be between you and your professor".

I can get letter from my boss stating that she hired me and that I work as a GRA (which I am actually!). However, I have never worked as GTA. I don't know if that matters. I have T4A forms but no TA.

Please, please suggest me what to do? What exactly the CIC people expect in the refernce letter from my boss?

Thanks again..... :)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Well, we can all cetainly agree it's confusing. Absolutely true that the NOC description does not appear to distinguish between GRA and RA. (but remember that NOC codes are not determined by CIC, but HRSDC).

Here's how I see the difference. If you receive a fellowship or a grant (GRA), you are funded to do your own research for your thesis/dissertation. That's not considered employment. If you are an RA or TA, you are paid to do work for someone else - that is employment (you still have to do your own research). If you're really lucky, the two are the same (or overlap), but that's not necessarily the case.

I hope it works for you both. As for the letter from your employer, read the document checklist for the specific info required. I think it should be clear that the work performed is for the professor, not the dissertation/thesis. But note, they expect the truth :)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5610E.PDF

BTW- if you're in Ontario, when you finish your PhD you automatically qualify now for PR through the provincial program, no other work experience required.

I

isack84

Hi Guys,

I'm bit confused about the whole situation. I got my Master's degree from UWO two years ago, and since then I'm a PhD. student at UWO. I'm employed as GTA/GRA at UWO, my GTA+GRA work hours for the past two years are more than the required minmum. My research is collaborative with my supervisor, and it does count towards my PhD requirements but not limited to it. I receive both T4 and T4A slips, and I could get reference a letter from my supervisor about the GRA and another letter from the department about the GTA.

Do I qualify for the CEC?

Thanks in advance

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Do you by any chance have enough hours on the T4s only?

According to UWO's own website, T4's are for employment, T4As are for scholarships, bursaries, etc.

http://www.registrar.uwo.ca/index.cfm/student-finances/tax-receipts/

If you have 1950 hours on the T4s, you will be OK. If you need the hours related to the T4A, it gets trickier.

It would be nice to get updates from those who have tried it...

I

isack84

I have no clue, how to calculate the work hours based on the T4 slip. Do you have any information on how to that by any chance?

Say there was x in my T4 box 14, and there was y in my T4A box 104. According to my Notice Of Assessment, my total taxable income was x+y-Union duties.

Does that make any sence at all? Cause I'm really confused, I thought that the income in the T4A slip is not taxable.

Thanks a lot for the help

sampan

Aug 2, 2011
isack84 said:
Hi Guys,

I'm bit confused about the whole situation. I got my Master's degree from UWO two years ago, and since then I'm a PhD. student at UWO. I'm employed as GTA/GRA at UWO, my GTA+GRA work hours for the past two years are more than the required minmum. My research is collaborative with my supervisor, and it does count towards my PhD requirements but not limited to it. I receive both T4 and T4A slips, and I could get reference a letter from my supervisor about the GRA and another letter from the department about the GTA.

Do I qualify for the CEC?

Thanks in advance
Hi isack84,

I have been approved for CEC by using my GRA as work experience. You can see my original post here:
canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/graduate-research-assistant-as-work-experience-for-tfw-category-of-cec-t48923.0.html;msg912625#msg912625

I believe the threadstarter (Essat) has also taken a similar route.

As I mentioned in my post in the other topic, it all depends on how you position yourself in the application (i.e. by making the GRA sound more like a job rather than an academic component).

By the way, since you already obtained a master's degree from a Canadian university, you could qualify also under Provincial Nominee Program - Master's Graduate:
ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPSTUDENTS_MASTERS.html

So you have a few options here to consider. Good luck! :)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
isack84 said:
I have no clue, how to calculate the work hours based on the T4 slip. Do you have any information on how to that by any chance?

A quick and dirty way to do it, if you have an hourly rate, would be to take your total gross income (annual wages) and divide by your hourly rate for that job, that will tell you how many hours you got paid for for the entire year. (If your rate changed in the middle of the year, that gets more difficult; also, if you are "salaried" that is more difficult).

You would have to have a better way to document the number of hours worked for CEC purposes, tho, if you did not keep records (Like, your end-of-year paystub, or perhaps your department keeps track of the hours worked).

According to the UWO website, for each appointment, you would receive a letter spelling out duties, rate of pay, hours to be worked, etc - I hope you kept those... that's what you would go by for # of hours in case of salary.

Say there was x in my T4 box 14, and there was y in my T4A box 104. According to my Notice Of Assessment, my total taxable income was x+y-Union duties.

Does that make any sence at all? Cause I'm really confused, I thought that the income in the T4A slip is not taxable.

Not necessarily - but if you miscalculated your taxes, you might be able to refile -
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/rprtng-ncm/lns101-170/130/schlrshp-eng.html
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/it75r4/README.html

You should also see this page from UWO:
http://grad.uwo.ca/faculty_staff/pay_information.htm

Taxable or not does not matter for CEC--T4As are usually issued for non-"employment" income. The issue is whether you were paid for EMPLOYMENT or merely receiving a student stipend/grant for your studies (which, however much work it is, is not employment).

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
sampan said:
By the way, since you already obtained a master's degree from a Canadian university, you could qualify also under Provincial Nominee Program - Master's Graduate:
ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPSTUDENTS_MASTERS.html
Because isack is in a PhD program, s/he is not eligible under the master's program for Ontario PNP (Opportunities Ontario). However, once the PhD program is completed, then s/he would be eligible under the PhD program ... options indeed!

I

isack84

>I'm guessing you are not in a math program. :D
Not exactly, it's a bit complicated. To say the least, I don't know my hourly rate. Actually, I never bothered to ask about it.

Anyway, my duties as GRA agree with the NOC description of an RA. I already got a letter from my department stating that I'm employed by the department as a GTA and a GRA, with the annual salary in it. I a could also ask them to add the weekly hours. Finally, I will get two reference letters, one from supervisor stating my GRA duties and the other one from the teaching professor stating my GTA duties.

Would that at least give me a possibility to get the PR via the CEC?

By the way, thank a lot guys for that fast response.