+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Car Import Experience & Helpful Tips I Have Learned (US ---> Can)

canus77

Mar 14, 2016
Chelly - THANK YOU!!
Honestly, that was really helpful.. thinking that we will not import the car!

Does anyone have any experience with landing as a PR in a vehicle and NOT importing it?
As in - can my hubby cross with his Washington plates in a US car to "land" (first time declaring PR) and tell them he is going to bring the car back to the US to sell it?
After Chelly's story I think that's going to have to be our option.

Open to ideas!
Thanks!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
canus77 said:
Chelly - THANK YOU!!

Does anyone have any experience with landing as a PR in a vehicle and NOT importing it?
As in - can my hubby cross with his Washington plates in a US car to "land" (first time declaring PR) and tell them he is going to bring the car back to the US to sell it?

Open to ideas!
Thanks!
yes it's perfectly fine to land in the car without importing it. that's what i did. i imported the car a couple of months later with no issue (FYI, my experience was A LOT Cheaper than the op's. only cost me fees and about $150 for daytime running lights). i would still put it on your goods to follow form just in case. putting it on there doesn't hold you to anything, it just protects you in case something happens and you end up not selling it in the states.

LiveFree said:
Hi,

Did anyone ever have any issue with owner's manual not in both languages? Mine is only English?

Thanks.
none at all. i didn't even get french labels in the car. the inspector completely ignored that and said they didn't have them. stamped it anyway and i was able to finalize the import without them. it's not a big concern.

aa0303

Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am in the process of moving to Ontario from Texas and this post is very useful for me.

I went on the Texas DPS website and there is a recommended option of printing your driver's abstract online or sending them the application through post.

I wanted to confirm that an online copy of the drivers abstract obtained from the Texas.gov website will not be accepted and I have to ask them to mail me the record?

Thanks!

Snowisland

Nov 23, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
30-05-2016
CDNPR2014 said:
yes it's perfectly fine to land in the car without importing it. that's what i did. i imported the car a couple of months later with no issue (FYI, my experience was A LOT Cheaper than the op's. only cost me fees and about $150 for daytime running lights). i would still put it on your goods to follow form just in case. putting it on there doesn't hold you to anything, it just protects you in case something happens and you end up not selling it in the states.

none at all. i didn't even get french labels in the car. the inspector completely ignored that and said they didn't have them. stamped it anyway and i was able to finalize the import without them. it's not a big concern.
If I land but import the car at a later date, do I have to take it to a border crossing to do so? I m far from a border. Thanks.

rajanvnv

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aa0303 said:
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am in the process of moving to Ontario from Texas and this post is very useful for me.

I went on the Texas DPS website and there is a recommended option of printing your driver's abstract online or sending them the application through post.

I wanted to confirm that an online copy of the drivers abstract obtained from the Texas.gov website will not be accepted and I have to ask them to mail me the record?

Thanks!
I believe the online abstract will be slightly different than paper copy. If that's the case, you need the paper copy. In most cases, they do not accept online abstracts.

trojan06

Apr 12, 2018
Chelly - THANK YOU!!

Open to ideas!
Thanks!

I am in the same situation I landed as a PR and did not import. it is a lease from California. I am just worried they will hassle me if I drive back and forth across the border