+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Canadian story - it's not all that bad after all!

Getafix

Star Member
Feb 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2010
Doc's Request.
08-06-2010
AOR Received.
17-02-2011
Med's Request
04-02-2014
Passport Req..
28-07-2014
LANDED..........
31-10-2014
Hey guys,

I've been in Canada for a little over 2 months now, i landed at the start of November 2014. It was a long journey, i applied back in 2010 so it took over 4 years but that's not important. The reason i am posting this topic is to give you guys some encouragement and hope. Like all of you that are waiting right now, i didn't know what to expect and browsing forums was my only option. The more i read the more i got discouraged, to the extent that at one point i was seriously contemplating not going at all. I had a good life back home, i had a family business and some good investments so money was not a concern. The only reason for moving was to give my 3 year old son a better life.

Anyway, i kept on reading the usual stuff, it's impossible to get jobs, it's so expensive, you have to get survival jobs etc etc. What i experienced was completely different. Immigration was a breeze, i was out of the airport in 45 mins with my SIN numbers. Everyone was SUPER friendly and helpful, i was pleasantly surprised. I was lucky to go to my uncle's place in Oakville as soon as i landed, so i was home within 90 mins of landing. Oakville is beautiful, it's the best place to live in G.T.A, expensive but totally worth it.

So next day i went and got a phone, then went to open a bank account, everything was so easy and customer service was excellent. I went for my driving test and got the license on the first attempt. Started looking for a car, found a great deal, dealer got my plates, i got the insurance over the phone, everything was done in a day, i couldn't believe how easy it was.

Anyway so once i'd settled down after a couple of days i started applying for jobs. Within a week i had two interviews and two job offers. After weighing both options i decided to go for the one that offered a better career path. I started off as an Assistant Manager with a 40k salary (not great but certainly not bad for a new immigrant).

Because of my work i had to go to Waterloo for a month of training. I looked for a short term rental and found a beautiful furnished apartment on my first visit there. After a month they asked me to stay a bit longer so i had to look for a new place all over again. This time round i found an even better deal, a 3 bedroom furnished house for the same price.

Now i'm two months down in my job and super happy with how everything has worked out. So i thought i'd post here to give people some hope and tell them that it's not all that bad after all. I believe i have been blessed and must have done something right to deserve all of this. I might be in the minority but if you put your mind to it and believe in yourself you can achieve success here.

As far as negatives are concerned, the weather for one takes some getting used to. It's not that bad in Southern Ontario, anything above -10 is bearable. Sometimes it goes under which can get a little scary with windchill but as long as you're dressed correctly it's not an issue. You can go around in a t-shirt at home, they're so well insulated and heated.

Housing is a little expensive but groceries aren't as bad as i thought they would be. I'm paying 1500 all inclusive (cable, internet, utilities) for my place right now and total expense for last month was around $2200, including housing, car insurance, fuel, phone, groceries, occasional eating out, son's small expenses etc.

Anyway, I hope this post helps some of you out, i definitely could have used something like this before i was coming here. All the best for your Canadian adventure!

Reactions: Amatsukami

vlan2015

Star Member
Dec 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 Oct 2014 App_Received.: 29 Oct 2014 CC_Charged...: 05 Jan 2015 PER_Received.: 29 Jan 2015 2nd Line: 20 Aug 2015 3rd Line: 29 Aug 2015
Med's Request
22 Oct 2015
Med's Done....
30 Oct 2015
Passport Req..
16 Nov 2015
VISA ISSUED...
2015!
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.. :) all the best and more success to come in your new life in Canada!

abdoulome

Jan 9, 2014
Hey,
i am super happy for you!!like reading positivity...it's wasn't easy for me landing a job here when i left the states but i have managed to land something in Kingston(on) after a first job in Vancouver ( wasn't having fun). d most important thing i think is to keep it positiv and being open for anything anywhere in canada as long there is a job offer. good luck for the others!

Getafix said:
Hey guys,

I've been in Canada for a little over 2 months now, i landed at the start of November 2014. It was a long journey, i applied back in 2010 so it took over 4 years but that's not important. The reason i am posting this topic is to give you guys some encouragement and hope. Like all of you that are waiting right now, i didn't know what to expect and browsing forums was my only option. The more i read the more i got discouraged, to the extent that at one point i was seriously contemplating not going at all. I had a good life back home, i had a family business and some good investments so money was not a concern. The only reason for moving was to give my 3 year old son a better life.

Anyway, i kept on reading the usual stuff, it's impossible to get jobs, it's so expensive, you have to get survival jobs etc etc. What i experienced was completely different. Immigration was a breeze, i was out of the airport in 45 mins with my SIN numbers. Everyone was SUPER friendly and helpful, i was pleasantly surprised. I was lucky to go to my uncle's place in Oakville as soon as i landed, so i was home within 90 mins of landing. Oakville is beautiful, it's the best place to live in G.T.A, expensive but totally worth it.

So next day i went and got a phone, then went to open a bank account, everything was so easy and customer service was excellent. I went for my driving test and got the license on the first attempt. Started looking for a car, found a great deal, dealer got my plates, i got the insurance over the phone, everything was done in a day, i couldn't believe how easy it was.

Anyway so once i'd settled down after a couple of days i started applying for jobs. Within a week i had two interviews and two job offers. After weighing both options i decided to go for the one that offered a better career path. I started off as an Assistant Manager with a 40k salary (not great but certainly not bad for a new immigrant).

Because of my work i had to go to Waterloo for a month of training. I looked for a short term rental and found a beautiful furnished apartment on my first visit there. After a month they asked me to stay a bit longer so i had to look for a new place all over again. This time round i found an even better deal, a 3 bedroom furnished house for the same price.

Now i'm two months down in my job and super happy with how everything has worked out. So i thought i'd post here to give people some hope and tell them that it's not all that bad after all. I believe i have been blessed and must have done something right to deserve all of this. I might be in the minority but if you put your mind to it and believe in yourself you can achieve success here.

As far as negatives are concerned, the weather for one takes some getting used to. It's not that bad in Southern Ontario, anything above -10 is bearable. Sometimes it goes under which can get a little scary with windchill but as long as you're dressed correctly it's not an issue. You can go around in a t-shirt at home, they're so well insulated and heated.

Housing is a little expensive but groceries aren't as bad as i thought they would be. I'm paying 1500 all inclusive (cable, internet, utilities) for my place right now and total expense for last month was around $2200, including housing, car insurance, fuel, phone, groceries, occasional eating out, son's small expenses etc.

Anyway, I hope this post helps some of you out, i definitely could have used something like this before i was coming here. All the best for your Canadian adventure!

sreedharcw

Dec 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2014
Med's Request
08-11-2014
Med's Done....
17-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
Hi Getafix,

Thanks for sharing your story and experiences. Its definitely encouraging.
Ofcourse individual experiences can vary depending on financial circumstances or presence of relatives/support in Canada and other factors.

What steps would you recommend for a newcomer to find a decent job (even if its lower than their position back home) ? This is one major question that decides other aspects, because for many people the first priority is to have an income to put food on the table. If this can be managed well I feel other things will be a breeze.

Biborno

Apr 3, 2011
London
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0631 (MI 2)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
20-08-2014
abdoulome said:
Hey,
i am super happy for you!!like reading positivity...it's wasn't easy for me landing a job here when i left the states but i have managed to land something in Kingston(on) after a first job in Vancouver ( wasn't having fun). d most important thing i think is to keep it positiv and being open for anything anywhere in canada as long there is a job offer. good luck for the others!
Hi,
I landed in August last year and I got job in September in my field (0631) and recently I changed to new company with salary around 50k. So far my experience I will say in food services industry job is always there.
I based in Ottawa, compare to other city it is cheap here. Ovarall it been very good migration for me and I wish best for the others.
Regards,
Biborno

Shilpag

Jul 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 7, 2014 Charged on 13 Jan, 2015 DD
Nomination.....
03 Feb, 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with Appl
File Transfer...
25 feb 2015
Where are you putting up right now?? And how far this place is from Toronto city? Moreover, how much is needed for a family of four in your opinion? Thx in advance.

Shaiful

Star Member
Aug 9, 2012
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
Nomination.....
08-08-2014
AOR Received.
17-09-2014
Med's Request
10-11-2014
Med's Done....
29-11-2014
Passport Req..
22-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015
LANDED..........
23-05-2015
Getafix said:
Hey guys,

Thanks brother for encouragement. This post is really very helpful for us who are hopping for a new start in new please.

shaheryar_khan

Star Member
Oct 10, 2014
Jeddah- KSA
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Dec 14
Doc's Request.
PCC request 8 March 2017
AOR Received.
12 MARCH'15
IELTS Request
Sent
File Transfer...
Updated Doc Request: 18 Feb-2017
your story is very encouraging and i have the same kind of reservations as you had. I recently Applied in December and looking forward to go through with process ASAP.

Donakinzo

Star Member
Dec 15, 2014
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2015
Doc's Request.
30/09/2016 & 12/10/2016
Nomination.....
26 Oct 2016
AOR Received.
12 Nov 2016
File Transfer...
23-12-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
7 Nov 2016
Your story will inspire a lot of us Canadian PR aspirants. You have given me more hope thanks for your post.

I wish you all the best in Canada.

Keep us posted!

Regards,

Getafix said:
Hey guys,

blacky

Nov 14, 2014
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
12-11-2014
Doc's Request.
03-08-15 comp.reg. docs & salary acc stmt
Nomination.....
03-02-15
AOR Received.
03-03-15
IELTS Request
sent with Apps
File Transfer...
16-7-16 bank statement verification
Med's Request
23-02-17
Med's Done....
06-03-17
Interview........
2-5-17 RPRF+Pcc+pof+updated forms
Passport Req..
7-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
21-8-17
LANDED..........
october 2017
Thanks for sharing.
I have since made up my mind to forge ahead no matter the negative posts i have been seeing around.

Getafix

Star Member
Feb 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2010
Doc's Request.
08-06-2010
AOR Received.
17-02-2011
Med's Request
04-02-2014
Passport Req..
28-07-2014
LANDED..........
31-10-2014
abdoulome said:
Hey,
How would you compare B.C to Ontario? When it gets really cold, living in Greater Vancouver Area seems really tempting! Why did you decide to leave vancouver?

Getafix

Star Member
Feb 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2010
Doc's Request.
08-06-2010
AOR Received.
17-02-2011
Med's Request
04-02-2014
Passport Req..
28-07-2014
LANDED..........
31-10-2014
sreedharcw said:
Hi Getafix,

Thanks for sharing your story and experiences. Its definitely encouraging.
Ofcourse individual experiences can vary depending on financial circumstances or presence of relatives/support in Canada and other factors.

What steps would you recommend for a newcomer to find a decent job (even if its lower than their position back home) ? This is one major question that decides other aspects, because for many people the first priority is to have an income to put food on the table. If this can be managed well I feel other things will be a breeze.
First of all you should mentally prepare yourself for accepting something lower than your last designation back home. It doesn't have to be a survival job but it will probably be in a lower position. Since most employers will seek Canadian experience and always prefer someone that has it.

Every field will have it's own unique challenges so i can't really comment until i know which industry you're from. As far as mine (hospitality) is concerned, there are plenty of jobs. So it was just a matter of perseverance. Be prepared to send out a lot of resume's and be patient. You have to know how to sell yourself, there are lots of tips online on tailoring your resume to a particular job.

Getafix

Star Member
Feb 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2010
Doc's Request.
08-06-2010
AOR Received.
17-02-2011
Med's Request
04-02-2014
Passport Req..
28-07-2014
LANDED..........
31-10-2014
Shilpag said:
Where are you putting up right now?? And how far this place is from Toronto city? Moreover, how much is needed for a family of four in your opinion? Thx in advance.
I'm in Waterloo for two more weeks then heading back to Toronto. Waterloo is around 100km from Toronto city. Budget depends on your minimum living standards, some people are happy to live in a $1000 basement. Toronto city is generally more expensive and it gets cheaper the further away you go from downtown.

I can give you my rough monthly breakdown to give you an idea:
Rent + utilities - $1500
Car insurance - $200
Mobile phones - $70
Groceries - $400
Fuel - $100
Eat out -$100
Misc - $100

So around $2500 monthly budget. Now if you're willing to live in a $1000 basement, your budget will immediately drop to $2000. Similarly you might be able to save a bit on Groceries, mobile phones, fuel etc. At bare minimum you're looking at $2000 monthly expense in most Ontario cities.

hushuscanada

Star Member
Nov 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Getafix said:
Hey guys,

thank you Getafix for sharing your experience, all the best with your future life there. +1

sreedharcw

Dec 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2014
Med's Request
08-11-2014
Med's Done....
17-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
Thanks Getafix. I was also thinking of a lower position as a better option that settling for survival job.
I'm looking at financial analyst or any other role in financial services industry. So for a lower position will employers still insist on Canadian experience? Please clarify.

Getafix said:
First of all you should mentally prepare yourself for accepting something lower than your last designation back home. It doesn't have to be a survival job but it will probably be in a lower position. Since most employers will seek Canadian experience and always prefer someone that has it.

Every field will have it's own unique challenges so i can't really comment until i know which industry you're from. As far as mine (hospitality) is concerned, there are plenty of jobs. So it was just a matter of perseverance. Be prepared to send out a lot of resume's and be patient. You have to know how to sell yourself, there are lots of tips online on tailoring your resume to a particular job.