+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

my application is 36 month and will take up to 44 months ( is that normal )

adam2681976

Star Member
Aug 11, 2014
Dear all,
would you please advice me if the processing time for my application is normal or not?

i sent the application of Citizenship Grant August 2011, it was received September 2011 by CIC and they start the processing April 2012 in Calgary "where i live"

From April 2012 to January 2013 i was asked to do Finger print and RQ, i completed everything and was sent to them January 15th 2013

since then no update, i was advised to ask the MP of the area i live in to contact CIC and the MP might get better feedback than calling the CIC call center, and thats what i did and the MP answered me that CIC informed her "MP' that my file will be finished by end of August or beginning of September 2014,

i called today asking the call center about if there is any update, the call center agent said that Call Center sent the office a message that my file went over 36 months the limit of the processing time, and the office answered back that i will take up to 44 months

do you think this is Normal or anything i can do ? please advice

Regards

Adam

Sophie_Anne

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Re: PLease Advice

So sorry to hear about your case. This is definitely not normal. Ridiculous timelines.
Can you maybe approach your MP again? Some applicants waiting for more than 36 months are considering pleading for the writ of mandamus. See if this a valid option for you. Good luck and I hope you hear back regarding your application shortly!

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
adam2681976 said:
Dear all,
would you please advice me if the processing time for my application is normal or not?

i sent the application of Citizenship Grant August 2011, it was received September 2011 by CIC and they start the processing April 2012 in Calgary "where i live"

From April 2012 to January 2013 i was asked to do Finger print and RQ, i completed everything and was sent to them January 15th 2013

since then no update, i was advised to ask the MP of the area i live in to contact CIC and the MP might get better feedback than calling the CIC call center, and thats what i did and the MP answered me that CIC informed her "MP' that my file will be finished by end of August or beginning of September 2014,

i called today asking the call center about if there is any update, the call center agent said that Call Center sent the office a message that my file went over 36 months the limit of the processing time, and the office answered back that i will take up to 44 months

do you think this is Normal or anything i can do ? please advice

Regards

Adam
This is definitely not normal, but how did you reply the RQ and what was the condition of your application? Did you give them enough documents in the RQ, like all your hydro bills, credit card usage, bank statement, etc? And have you ever being charged or arrested, did you stay less than 1095 days when you applied, did you have lots of travel with no stamps? Did you leave Canada immediately after applying and now is still in other country?

adam2681976

Star Member
Aug 11, 2014
Hi BLT,

i have PR through Refugee Claimant, and didnt leave the country from 2003 till 2012,
i sent them with the RQ big file includes ( bank Statements stamped by the bank, internet bills , tuition fees receipts rent receipts and phone bills as well for 4 years" 2 of these years my passport was the CIC "
never been charged or arrested
i left Canada for visiting my relatives after a year from the date i applied for the citizenship ( applied August 2011 and traveled September 2012 just for 15 days)

do you think if i write to the Calgary CIC office a letter, that would expedite or they they will answer why my applications takes almost 4 years?

thanks you for the replay

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
adam2681976 said:
Hi BLT,

i have PR through Refugee Claimant, and didnt leave the country from 2003 till 2012,
i sent them with the RQ big file includes ( bank Statements stamped by the bank, internet bills , tuition fees receipts rent receipts and phone bills as well for 4 years" 2 of these years my passport was the CIC "
never been charged or arrested
i left Canada for visiting my relatives after a year from the date i applied for the citizenship ( applied August 2011 and traveled September 2012 just for 15 days)

do you think if i write to the Calgary CIC office a letter, that would expedite or they they will answer why my applications takes almost 4 years?

thanks you for the replay
Did you go back to your home country? As a refugee, you shouldn't go back to your home country, or your status (PR) can be revoked. If you went back to your home country (issuer of your passport), then it's a super complicated case.

adam2681976

Star Member
Aug 11, 2014
yes i went but after a year from the date i applied in for the Citizenship, and was death of my parents.

when i asked the Lawyer about if that would affect my citizenship application, he said as long as they CBSA didnt contact you after you came back from your country and didnt prepare a report and no case opened because you went back to you country after you entered Canada from you home country then, your citizenship application should not be affected by this travel,

last visit was in June 2014 and so far nothing received from immigration concerning the travel to my country

do you think it takes that long bcuz of that ?

i'm completely lost :(

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
IMO, it's because of your trip to your home country as a refugee. I think you better get a lawyer to deal with this, a good one. But it will be expensive for sure. Don't get those mickey mouse lawyers who only say things to calm you down, but can't do anything. You may go to other thread where some people share their experience about using lawyer after been waiting too long.

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
adam2681976 said:
yes i went but after a year from the date i applied in for the Citizenship, and was death of my parents.

when i asked the Lawyer about if that would affect my citizenship application, he said as long as they CBSA didnt contact you after you came back from your country and didnt prepare a report and no case opened because you went back to you country after you entered Canada from you home country then, your citizenship application should not be affected by this travel,

last visit was in June 2014 and so far nothing received from immigration concerning the travel to my country

do you think it takes that long bcuz of that ?

i'm completely lost :(
adam do you feel you still need protection from the Canadian government? Would you want to go and live in your home country if you felt it was safe? The fact that you have been able to travel to your home country without fear of persecution (otherwise why would you have gone) must bring into doubt your refugee status. As BLT suggested you probably need a very good lawyer.

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
adam This is your problem

"The most common ways that refugee status can be lost are on grounds of cessation or vacation. Cessation applies when the government finds that the refugee has voluntarily re-availed themselves of the protection of their country of origin and received that protection. The Canadian Council for Refugees claims that the notion of cessation is being too loosely interpreted by the IRB, as short visits back to a refugee’s home country, even those for valid reasons like attending funerals or caring for elderly relatives, are now grounds for cessation of refugee status. Acts as simple as applying for a new passport from or briefly returning to the refugee’s country of origin could cause the loss of refugee status and deportation."

http://www.canadianimmigration.net/news/canadian-refugees-face-higher-risk-of-loss-of-status-anddeportation.html

adam2681976

Star Member
Aug 11, 2014
thank you PAW,

in the link you put, i understood that CBSA open a case and refer it to the IRB to revoke the PR. do you have any idea how i can see if there is a case was opened for my situation or CBSA refered my file to IRB ?

thanks

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Apply for your GCMS notes - request the physical file (not electronic notes) to be sent to you by email. You should see if there are any comments/concerns on your file. You can apply under the Privacy Act (free) here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/requests-personal.asp

You will need to upload a copy of a status document(e.g. PR card, confirmation of permanent residence) to proof your status.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
With electronic notes, it's usually 30 days. But for the physical file, I believe it's a little longer (with your situation, better to get physical file). In anycase, when you request it, you will get a notification of receipt and it may say how long it takes.

adam2681976 said:
how long do you think it will take to answer back ?