+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

my application become non routine

gregmah

Star Member
Mar 17, 2014
HI

I applied on April end and get the acknowledgement in June in calgary office. On September 11, I received a letter of finger printing and did that. I had a domestic violence case last year but no criminal charges are given on my records but the peace bond is expiring in Jan 2015.

I called CIC and they said that my application is become non routine due to background check

Can anyone advise me what I can do?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
There is noting you can do except wait it out.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
gregmah said:
HI

I applied on April end and get the acknowledgement in June in calgary office. On September 11, I received a letter of finger printing and did that. I had a domestic violence case last year but no criminal charges are given on my records but the peace bond is expiring in Jan 2015.

I called CIC and they said that my application is become non routine due to background check

It is indeed common for a Peace Bond to be issued without any charges having been filed, so if you are sure you were not arrested or in any way "charged," you should be OK. Just wait. A more thorough background check will hold up processing your case some, but with no arrests or charges that should not be long and then you will be on your way.

That said, the fingerprint request and response from CIC that your case is non routine due to the background check, suggests that there was a hit when they did either the RCMP background check or the GCMS/FOSS check. So you most likely want to make sure that there is no underlying charge attendant the issuance of the Peace Bond.

It is more common, for example, that there was an arrest or an initial charge, and then the Peace Bond is issued as a result, pursuant to which the charge is conditionally discharged.

If you are absolutely certain there was no charge underlying or related to the Peace Bond, skip what follows. Wait. All should go well.

If there is any question at all, however, about whether there was any initial charge, and in particular where there is the possibility that there is a conditional discharge underlying the Peace Bond, you will likely want to look at the situation more closely to ascertain this, that is whether there is a conditional discharge connected to the Peace Bond, and if there is, to consult with a lawyer to determine if you can, in effect, fix things.

If it is possible there is a conditional discharge connected to the Peace Bond:

Again, NO need to read the following if you are absolutely certain there was no arrest, no charge, no conditional discharge connected to the Peace Bond.

I do not mean to second guess your statement that there are "no criminal charges," particularly since (as I said) it is common for a Peace Bond to be issued without there being an underlying criminal charge. But it is more common, more often the case, that there was an arrest or an initial charge, and then the Peace Bond is issued as a result, pursuant to which the charge is conditionally discharged (in effect stayed, held in abeyance, or such, to be conclusively dismissed when the Peace Bond expires).

As I said, if you are certain you were never charged or arrested, you should be OK. If that is the situation, my guess is that the RCMP check had a hit for the Peace Bond, the RCMP check going beyond just a criminal records name-check (thus identifying even instances in which an individual has been a suspect, even in cases the individual may not be not aware of). Such a hit will lead to further inquiries into the individual's background, and the fingerprint request is probably (emphasis on probably since it is not as though CIC divulges these things to the public) to, one, be sure the hit is you, and secondly, to do a more thorough background check beyond just a name-check. Again, if there was indeed no arrest, no charge, while it may take awhile for this to be concluded, it should not be too long and it should all work out OK.

Alternatively, if there was an arrest, or an initial charge (such as one conditionally discharged when the Peace Bond was issued), there was likely a name-record hit for this, probably in both the GCMS/FOSS check and the RCMP check. And this could be a problem.

If you had a lawyer representing you in the case in which the Peace Bond was issued, that lawyer can positively affirm whether or not there was a criminal charge underlying the Peace Bond. Again, it is indeed common for a Peace Bond to be issued either with no criminal charge ever made or in lieu of a criminal charge being laid.

If you did NOT have a lawyer representing you in the case in which the Peace Bond was issued, there is a significant risk you understood there would be, in effect, no criminal charges on your record. However, that would depend on completing the full term of the Peace Bond. Of course, depending on how well informed you are about the process for issuing a Peace Bond, you may very well know and understand precisely whether or not there is an underlying charge conditionally discharged (thus to be fully discharged once the Peace Bond expires). But many people will be given a conditional discharge, pursuant to agreeing to the Peace Bond, and think that means the charge is dismissed, resulting in no charges being on the person's criminal record. (My sense is that more than a few prosecutors or judges, in the course of getting the parties to agree to a Peace Bond, will more or less deliberately give individuals the impression that the charge is gone without conveying that is not entirely true until the Peace Bond expires.)

Thus, in many (probably most) Peace Bond cases, any charges will be totally dismissed but that will not happen until the Peace Bond expires. In the meantime, there is indeed the charge, just not one being actively prosecuted.

And depending on what offence that charge is for, it could possibly affect the calculation of residency, or even constitute a prohibition.

So, if you are not absolutely certain there was no charge or arrest, that there is no conditionally discharged offence connected to the Peace Bond, you most likely want to find out for sure.

Many individuals could do this on their own, probably by going to the court where the Peace Bond was issued. I am not sure. I do not know how to go about it. Personally I would contact a lawyer and have the lawyer conclusively determine whether or not there is some underlying charge at stake, particularly one which has only been conditionally discharged.

Again, no need to do that if you are already absolutely certain there is no charge, was no charge.

If there was a charge or arrest, which has been conditionally discharged:

Whether or not it is a problem depends on what the offence is (among other factors). If it is an indictable offence, including an offence which can be prosecuted as either a summary or an indictable offence, I believe that is a problem, or can be a problem. This is now into the realm where my understanding is far from complete, into an area I do not know that well. A licensed, reputable, Canadian immigration and citizenship lawyer is the best resource in this situation.

I do know, however, that it is at least theoretically possible to go back to court to get the Peace Bond terminated early, depending of course on the particular circumstances of the case. It would be best to have a lawyer do this for you. There is no guarantee. It may even only be a long shot.

But if there is an underlying offence which is conditionally discharged dependent on the Peace Bond, if that is an offence which renders the applicant prohibited it would be important to get that Peace Bond terminated as soon as possible, if possible, so that the alleged offence is fully discharged. That would eliminate the prohibition.

The problem is that CIC can make a final decision to deny citizenship to any applicant under a prohibition. Thus, if there is an underlying offence which is conditionally discharged dependent on the Peace Bond, and that is an offence which renders the applicant prohibited, if CIC was to decide the case today, it would be a denial. If, however, you can get the Peace Bond terminated before CIC makes a decision, you would be good to go again (the final outcome depending, though, on whether there is an impact on the calculation of residency).

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Are you writing an essay or something? :p

dpenabill said:
It is indeed common for a Peace Bond to be issued without any charges having been filed, so if you are sure you were not arrested or in any way "charged," you should be OK. Just wait. A more thorough background check will hold up processing your case some, but with no arrests or charges that should not be long and then you will be on your way.

gregmah

Star Member
Mar 17, 2014
I was initially charged, arrested and then case was gonig on. On Jan 09,2014,. I was given a peace bond which is expiring on Jan 09,2015. Another 1 month. peace bond cannot be terminated early. However, my police officer and lawyer both said that there is no criminal charges against you. no conditional discharge also. My records are clean except that. The police officer also mentioned to me that she will close my case on jan 09, 2015

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
gregmah said:
I was initially charged, arrested and then case was gonig on. On Jan 09,2014,. I was given a peace bond which is expiring on Jan 09,2015. Another 1 month. peace bond cannot be terminated early. However, my police officer and lawyer both said that there is no criminal charges against you. no conditional discharge also. My records are clean except that. The police officer also mentioned to me that she will close my case on jan 09, 2015
Since you were arrested, that alone is a criminal record, a record of arrest. That will result in a hit in the RCMP name-records check (and thus also be a hit, probably, in the GCMS/FOSS check). This alone would trigger the fingerprint request.

The important question in such cases is whether or not the charge was discharged at the time the Peace Bond was issued. Fact that the officer mentioned that the case will be closed (in the future) suggests probably not, that it will be discharged when the Peace Bond expires.

This is the typical, by far most common scenario when a Peace Bond is issued.

The good news is that it will not be very long before the Peace Bond expires (a bit more than five weeks away now, you say) and CIC tends to move very slowly in these kinds of cases (although this could be changing giving new process implemented per Bill C-24). So, there is a very good chance the Peace Bond will expire before CIC takes any further action, in which case what the underlying charge is will not matter, it will be totally discharged. Thus, no matter how serious it would not then constitute a prohibition and you should be OK after that.

I cannot discern whether the "lawyer" you are referring to was the Crown attorney, a lawyer you hired to represent you, or a lawyer provided. As I noted in my previous post, it is my impression that Crown attorneys tend to emphasize that the issuance of the Peace Bond will mean there is no criminal record, but what that really means is that there is no record of a conviction, will be no record of conviction, and so long as the conditions of the Peace Bond are fulfilled (which will not happen until the Peace Bond expires), the disposition of the case will be a total discharge (as the officer said, the case will be "closed"). There will still be a record of the arrest.

def_col_male

Jan 26, 2011
Markham
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gregmah said:
HI

I do not see this charges as big deal. There might be some other reason for the fingerprint request. May be your country of origin or your name which might match with some wanted person.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
def_col_male said:
I do not see this charges as big deal. There might be some other reason for the fingerprint request. May be your country of origin or your name which might match with some wanted person.
What?? Seriously? Not a big deal? Domestic violence and "no big deal" should pretty much never go together in the same sentence.
If the OP violates the peace bond, it could result in loss of status in Canada under the "Faster Removal of Foreign Criminals Act" C-24.

Reactions: nofrills

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
gregmah said:
HI

I think it happens this way:
- If you are being charged, you cannot take citizenship oath until your charge is settled, in this case : dropped or convicted.
- If you are being convicted with a more serious crime (felony), then you can't take citizenship oath for 5 years (I'm not sure 3 or 5 years). I think domestic violence is part of felony.

In your case, never being charged, means nothing happened. But since you had a case with police, then I think your application would take a bit longer due to extra check.
Regarding the non-routine, any finger print request, even you never had any problem, is already considered non-routine. This is so ridiculous, isn't it?

Dec 1, 2014
dpenabill,

Getting a hit in RCMP make sense. But how can it get a hit in GCMS/FOSS check?
Does that mean charges are copied to GCMS/FOSS? I will be surprised. I thought RCMP keeps that record.

And btw: Once your peace bond expires - also send in the request for destruction of your fingerprints and mug shot to local police that will forward that to RCMP. Once those are destroyed then normal police check will be clear even vulnerable sector but RCMP would still have access to record and may need finger prints to verify the records.

dpenabill said:
Since you were arrested, that alone is a criminal record, a record of arrest. That will result in a hit in the RCMP name-records check (and thus also be a hit, probably, in the GCMS/FOSS check). This alone would trigger the fingerprint request.

The important question in such cases is whether or not the charge was discharged at the time the Peace Bond was issued. Fact that the officer mentioned that the case will be closed (in the future) suggests probably not, that it will be discharged when the Peace Bond expires.

This is the typical, by far most common scenario when a Peace Bond is issued.

The good news is that it will not be very long before the Peace Bond expires (a bit more than five weeks away now, you say) and CIC tends to move very slowly in these kinds of cases (although this could be changing giving new process implemented per Bill C-24). So, there is a very good chance the Peace Bond will expire before CIC takes any further action, in which case what the underlying charge is will not matter, it will be totally discharged. Thus, no matter how serious it would not then constitute a prohibition and you should be OK after that.

I cannot discern whether the "lawyer" you are referring to was the Crown attorney, a lawyer you hired to represent you, or a lawyer provided. As I noted in my previous post, it is my impression that Crown attorneys tend to emphasize that the issuance of the Peace Bond will mean there is no criminal record, but what that really means is that there is no record of a conviction, will be no record of conviction, and so long as the conditions of the Peace Bond are fulfilled (which will not happen until the Peace Bond expires), the disposition of the case will be a total discharge (as the officer said, the case will be "closed"). There will still be a record of the arrest.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
researcher1999 said:
dpenabill,

Getting a hit in RCMP make sense. But how can it get a hit in GCMS/FOSS check?
Does that mean charges are copied to GCMS/FOSS? I will be surprised. I thought RCMP keeps that record.

And btw: Once your peace bond expires - also send in the request for destruction of your fingerprints and mug shot to local police that will forward that to RCMP. Once those are destroyed then normal police check will be clear even vulnerable sector but RCMP would still have access to record and may need finger prints to verify the records.
I am not sure that a total discharge can always lead to, in effect, expunging the arrest. But I do not know Canadian criminal procedure that well. That said, it would be surprising if a record of arrest itself could always be so easily made to, in effect, disappear, especially for serious offences, including domestic violence or even less serious allegations related to such offences. (I know that in several U.S. states while there are similar procedures to expunge an arrest record, the availability of the procedure is usually very limited and in most instances there is a presumption against expunging arrests even when the charge is dismissed; there is, usually, a rather high burden imposed for justifying the expunging of an arrest.) I suspect it depends on the particular offence, and expunging or sealing or such is probably available for some offences but not available for many others, and depending on particular factors.

Terms of Peace Bonds vary considerably.

While I am not sure of the mechanics, whether a GCMS/FOSS check automatically accesses the U.S. and RCMP name-records criminal data bases, or a sort of shadow version of those databases, or there is some referral protocol (done electronically, embedded in the query itself probably) but just like POE officers will routinely do a criminal name-records check for individuals referred to secondary at the POE, I am fairly sure the citizenship GCMS/FOSS check (including the one done before each and every step in the process, not just the background check) will result in a hit if there is an arrest, pending charge, or conviction in either the U.S. or RCMP databases (I suspect this also includes other criminal databases, like INTERPOL, but I am not sure about those like I am the U.S. and RCMP databases).

def_col_male

Jan 26, 2011
Markham
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eileenf said:
What?? Seriously? Not a big deal? Domestic violence and "no big deal" should pretty much never go together in the same sentence.
If the OP violates the peace bond, it could result in loss of status in Canada under the "Faster Removal of Foreign Criminals Act" C-24.
Since he has been offered peace bond I assume charges were not that serious which may affect his immigration. 100s of people get charged for domestic violence for minor complaints which seldom affect their record. I am not talking about serious criminal sections like beating someone red and blue. In serious sections your are never offered peace bond.

I am hope no one will like to break the peace bond specially getting arrested once.

Zeeks

Jul 22, 2012
I am stuck in a similar situation. Charges were withdrawn but with a peace bond expiring in December.I have a pending application with cic for PR and They have told me to wait out the bond period until then my file will be put to hold.

Is there anything I can do by hiring a lawyer at this point

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
gregmah said:
Yes. Be a decent human being and stop abusing your partner.

Reactions: parisien