+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Must travel in 7 weeks, both passport and prcard expired

Oki911

Feb 18, 2016
I must travel to my home country The Netherlands in 7 weeks. Both my Dutch passport and Canadian PR Card are expired. The reason is both a significant family event and medical problems in the family, fearing that if I don't go I might not see a family member again.

I've been through a frantic number of weeks pleading with the Dutch embassy to provide a passport. However, they won't give me a new one unless I prove that I have not become a Canadian citizen.
I have been in touch with my local Member of Parliament (MP), after advise from the person at the embassy. Supposedly there is something they could do to help me with a document that would ok the application for a new Dutch passport.
However, all I got is, "apply for a Search of Citizenship application, include plane ticket proof, and write URGENT on the envelope. Then if the PR Card does not arrive in time, you can apply for a document while in Holland, which goes very quicky.".

Ok, so I purchased a plane ticket, and applied for both a new PR Card (that was quite a bit of work supplying all that information by the way, took me days), and the Search of Citizenship. Both have been couriered. The PR Card app has been "In Process" since February 12th. The Search of Citizenship application I don't the status because I see no way of looking for it on the "Check your application" CIC web page. The courier reported it arrived February the 15th some time.
I have included a letter with both application, pleading that I must not miss the flight, and that the Dutch embassy needs 2 weeks to supply the passport. They can actually do it in slightly less for an extra $80 I was told.

However, I just now found an application at the CIC called "Verification of Status". But it's confusing, because I'm not sure what to fill out, if what I need is to prove my current status in Canada, which is landed immigrant (and having fulfilled all my obligations btw).

So, the questions I have are:

1) Should I wait and hope for the best, for either the Search-of-Citizenship or the PR Card to arrive two weeks prior to departure?

2) Should I apply for the Verification of Status and also write URGENT on the envelope and disclose a letter? The application makes more harsher demand to quality for "urgent" mode, hinting that I'd need a note from a doctor to prove the medical situation, it seems. Or might they out of compassion, just accept the fact that I risked the plane ticket cost, and my plea for help.
Does that application even prove that I am currently still an immigrant? That would be what the embassy is looking for.

3) Did my MP do everything he could? Rumor has it, or rather, based on what I heard the person at the embassy say a few weeks ago, is that an MP can actually somehow "swing" a document, bypassing all the CIC bureaucracy, and actually rather quickly provide something printed, that "will do".
My MP, or rather, the assistant that works in his office, admitted he was pretty new to issues like this. It is possible that he doesn't know how to think out of the box, and came up with just directing me to a CIC application.

Anyway, this entire ordeal is extremely stressful and emotional for me. It seems I'm up against a wall on every turn. I've been writing emails pleading for solutions, making phone calls to The Hague in the Netherlands that I find it disturbing that the Dutch government would leave me hanging like this. I am Dutch and I feel that my Dutch government should stick up for me, and provide me my Dutch passport, but they won't do it. They don't trust that I have not become a Canadian citizen.
I will become Canadian as soon as I get around to it. Why I waited with that is completely my fault. That I let two important documents expire is also my fault. But I feel that I am being punished beyond what is reasonable. A PR Card normally takes 6 months. A search of citizenship 10 months. Heck, soon, applying for Citizenship is faster than renewing a PR Card.
But all these problems, and I don't feel I have done anything offensive. Yet I don't have access to my family, now with medical problems, in Holland.

Can anyone offer me any information, advise, what to do? I feel so stuck!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I can't comment on the Dutch govt issuing your passport, but can on the PR card. Assuming you don't have your PR card in time to travel you still have a few options.

1. Since you're flying back to Canada after March 15, then the new eTA system will be in force and mandatory for you. Since you're a PR, you can't get an eTA. So in this case you would need to apply for a PR Travel Document in order to board your flight back to Canada ( http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/ ). I think Vienna office would process yours and send the Travel Doc to you in the Netherlands. No idea how long they take to process them.

2. If your PR card arrives in the mail in Canada while you're gone, whoever receives it can just courier it to you in the Netherlands. Note though sometimes CIC requests you pick up the PR card in person and they don't mail it.

3. You can fly to a US city instead, and drive across the border. For this you don't need PR card or Travel Doc, as CBSA can identify your PR status simply by your passport and COPR landing documents if you have them.

Oki911

Feb 18, 2016
Thanks for the reply. I knew about the travel document that I can apply for in The Hague. I also knew I could drive to the US and board a plane at say, NY.

But the problem isn't the return documents. The problem is that I don't have an up to date Dutch passport. The Dutch Embassy will not accept my application to renew it, unless I prove to them that I am still a landed immigrant.

I was betting on my PR Card arriving in time which would prove that, or else the Search-of-Citizenship arriving in time which would state that I am not a Canadian citizen.

What I'm trying to figure out now, is might the Verification-of-Status application still be something that is worth a shot? It is asking for rather serious proof. A note from a doctor of sorts. That's not really a conversation I wish to strike up with my family. Can't they take my word for it, that if I miss this important family event, that I would risk not seeing this person again?
This is all so very stressful, it's making me hyperventilate.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Oki911 said:
Thanks for the reply. I knew about the travel document that I can apply for in The Hague. I also knew I could drive to the US and board a plane at say, NY.

But the problem isn't the return documents. The problem is that I don't have an up to date Dutch passport. The Dutch Embassy will not accept my application to renew it, unless I prove to them that I am still a landed immigrant.

I was betting on my PR Card arriving in time which would prove that, or else the Search-of-Citizenship arriving in time which would state that I am not a Canadian citizen.

What I'm trying to figure out now, is might the Verification-of-Status application still be something that is worth a shot? It is asking for rather serious proof. A note from a doctor of sorts. That's not really a conversation I wish to strike up with my family. Can't they take my word for it, that if I miss this important family event, that I would risk not seeing this person again?
This is all so very stressful, it's making me hyperventilate.
1. No, the VOE would only show that you "landed" on such and such date as PR, it has no connection to citizenship.

mom2chthjael

Mar 21, 2015
I am not much help but being Dutch myself and have been a PR since 1996 I never had a problem renewing my Dutch passport?
Not sure if it has changed but I used to go to the Dutch consulate in Quebec city and filled out everything and 2 weeks later had my passport. The fact that you have to sign a legal document saying that all the information given is the truth is already plenty proof I would say!

I find it weird that they ask you for more proof?? Not sure where you live but try the Dutch consulate in Quebec, Willeke used to be the person in charge there, not sure if she still works or has retired but give it a shot, she really is great and very helpful.

Good luck!

Oki911

Feb 18, 2016
PMM said:
Hi

1. No, the VOE would only show that you "landed" on such and such date as PR, it has no connection to citizenship.
I know that it doesn't have a connection to citizenship. But what I was hoping for, that in addition to it showing that on date x I became an immigrant, that it would also reveal that today I am still an immigrant. But it is not clear if that includes that information. Does anyone know?

Oki911

Feb 18, 2016
mom2chthjael said:
I am not much help but being Dutch myself and have been a PR since 1996 I never had a problem renewing my Dutch passport?
Not sure if it has changed but I used to go to the Dutch consulate in Quebec city and filled out everything and 2 weeks later had my passport. The fact that you have to sign a legal document saying that all the information given is the truth is already plenty proof I would say!

I find it weird that they ask you for more proof?? Not sure where you live but try the Dutch consulate in Quebec, Willeke used to be the person in charge there, not sure if she still works or has retired but give it a shot, she really is great and very helpful.

Good luck!
I think the difference is that you were renewing your Dutch passport before it expired. Apparently, the embassy or consulate doesn't ask any questions. They simply let you renew - even if you ended up taking on Canadian citizenship without being married to a Canadian.
But in my case my passport is expired. They now don't trust I am still a non-Canadian. Hence their demand to prove it.
It's kind of a bit fishy on their part. A couple of years ago, I *think* that they didn't require this actual proof, but that you only just needed to see the receipt that you send in the PR-Card renewal form. I have pointed this out to the embassy through an email, but they are not returning my emails.

My MP is also not returning emails, after me scrutinizing that he might not have done what he could have done, because I suspect that he does not know what to do because he is new to all of this.

The whole thing feels like a major tooth pulling experience. Noone wants to make anything happen. Noone wants to solve my problem. All I have so far, is just the standard channels, and the agonizing uncertainty of wait times. It's nice to have seen a very short wait time for someone else's urgent pr card request, but I have no way of knowing if I will be as lucky.
I'm about to lose my plane ticket and the ability to see an important family member. This really sucks.

mom2chthjael

Mar 21, 2015
Oki911 said:
I think the difference is that you were renewing your Dutch passport before it expired. Apparently, the embassy or consulate doesn't ask any questions. They simply let you renew - even if you ended up taking on Canadian citizenship without being married to a Canadian.
But in my case my passport is expired. They now don't trust I am still a non-Canadian. Hence their demand to prove it.
It's kind of a bit fishy on their part. A couple of years ago, I *think* that they didn't require this actual proof, but that you only just needed to see the receipt that you send in the PR-Card renewal form. I have pointed this out to the embassy through an email, but they are not returning my emails.

My MP is also not returning emails, after me scrutinizing that he might not have done what he could have done, because I suspect that he does not know what to do because he is new to all of this.

The whole thing feels like a major tooth pulling experience. Noone wants to make anything happen. Noone wants to solve my problem. All I have so far, is just the standard channels, and the agonizing uncertainty of wait times. It's nice to have seen a very short wait time for someone else's urgent pr card request, but I have no way of knowing if I will be as lucky.
I'm about to lose my plane ticket and the ability to see an important family member. This really sucks.

Yes you are right my passport wasn't expired, but I am just flabbergasted that it is this difficult to renew an expired passport!
I hope you are able to get it all done in time and fly to Holland!

Keep pushing and calling/emailing untill some one answers and helps you!

Oki911

Feb 18, 2016
Cautiously optimistic

I have good news. The status changed to "Decision Made", and the details say the application has been approved and that the card will be either mailed to me, or for quality control purposes, I might have to pick it up, where they would verify the original information. I'm cautiously optimistic. However, I don't like the Canada post regular mail service, because it feels like gambling at times. We get mail from neighbors and from far away streets in our box from time to time. I'm afraid that if someone else will end up with this crucial envelope, that that person will slack knowing he doesn't *have* to bother, and won't realize or care how important it is. I suppose I'm being pessimistic, but Murphy's law has bit me in the behind before.
I'd rather have them get the quality control option, if that doesn't impose much of a delay, in which case the mail delivery from Sidney to Ottawa might be more reliable.
Or pay extra and opt for express mail with tracking and signature, but I have not seen them offer that service.
But here's to hoping that the card will arrive soon, and that there won't be any problems getting the passport done.

I have to stress, and something should be done to make others aware, that this is serious business. People should not let documents expire, or even *close* to getting expired, ever. Create a google calendar that notifies you by email or something to remind yourself, before your passport or prcard expires. I don't know how early one can renew a prcard, but I would think that 9 months before it expires is a good time to do this. The wait time normally is like 6 months. Also realize that some other application have a normal wait time of 10 months even (Search of Citizenship for instance). And there could be issues, causing delays. My situation was simple to assess by the CIC, because I haven't left Canada for a long time, and have had stable employment. It was easy for me to prove that I fulfilled my residence obligations, because the tax assessment documents that I disclosed didn't show any holes and had a full consistent salary. But I'm seeing that most things that people talk about here on this forum for instance, are people that have more complicated situations, where they spend long times outside of Canada. I can imagine that things can get dicy for some people. Probably most people that come to this site, are people that already ran into problems. One way of helping people, is by having a conversation about this to others that you might know that are Canadian residents (immigrants), whether they live in Canada or abroad. You can help them avoid a great deal of grief.