+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Multiple work/study permits that haven't expired

arodri

Jun 18, 2018
Hi guys, I hope you can help me to clarify this situation:

As a Foreign Temporary Worker, I first got a LMIA exempt, closed work permit that expires on 2020. As a result my wife got an open work permit with the same expiration date.

Months later, my wife got accepted into a University and we both applied for 1) her study permit and 2) an open work permit for myself. Both permits got accepted with an unfortunate downside: They put the expiration date to the one on her passport which is in 4 months.

I understand we need to apply for an extension once she gets a new passport, but I'd like to know what'd happen in the worst-case scenario which is the extension gets rejected.

Would the past work permits we got still remain valid?

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi guys, I hope you can help me to clarify this situation:

As a Foreign Temporary Worker, I first got a LMIA exempt, closed work permit that expires on 2020. As a result my wife got a open work permit with the same expiration date.

Months later, my wife got accepted into a University and we both applied for 1) her study permit and 2) an open work permit for myself as her husband. Both permits got accepted with a unfortunate downside: They put the expiration date to the one on her passport which is in 4 months.

I understand we need to apply for an extension once she gets a new passport, but I'd like to know what'd happen in the worst-case scenario which is the extension gets rejected.

Would the past work permits we got still remain valid?
Hi

The previous work permits are no longer valid. Provided the passport is extended, there should be no issue extending the current permits.

Reactions: chandrakuragayala

arodri

Jun 18, 2018
The previous work permits are no longer valid. Provided the passport is extended, there should be no issue extending the current permits.
Thanks for your response canuck_in_uk! Do you have any evidence to support that? I couldn't find anything on the official website.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your response canuck_in_uk! Do you have any evidence to support that? I couldn't find anything on the official website.
You applied to change your status. That means that the previous status in no longer valid.