+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Multiple extended visits

Lindsey

Mar 18, 2009
My family moved to Canada in '82 but my parents went back to the UK in '85 due to my Dad's work, my brother & I stayed and I became a Canadian Citizen. My brother is currently a PR but is applying for citizenship.

My Father passed away a while back and my Mum remained in the UK caring for my Grandmother who recently passed away. My Mum now wants to move back to Canada so my brother is initiating the sponsorship application. Although we know this will be a lengthy process my Mum is wondering if she can come to Canada as a TR (hopefully for 6 months), then leave and re-enter for another 6 month period. Her hope would be to do this on a somewhat ongoing basis until there was an outcome on the PR process.

What period of time does a visitor have to leave Canada for before they can return as a TR again? Will this activity likely have a negative impact on her eventual PR application? We're not concerned with financial means as she can demonstrate she has the financial resources to pay for extended stays and she maintains private health care. Her hope would be to sell her home in the UK and buy a property in Canada (perhaps with either my brother and/or myself). The problem I see with this is she will then no longer have ties to the UK.

Both my brother and I can offer a letter of invitation inviting her to come and stay to help manage childcare for her 3 grandsons so I can return to work full-time.

She visits twice a year for 2 to 3 weeks each time but has really missed out a lot of time with her grandsons who 3 to 5 years old. She'll be 70 this summer and we really don't want to wait until she's 75 or 77 before she can spend extended period of time with the grandsons.

Is there a way to reside in Canada for multiple extended visits in such a way as I've described?

Any insight, advise or comments are greatly appreciated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Normally it's 50/50 so if you stay 6 months, you leave for 6. Otherwise you are not really visiting anymore. What you can do is if you get a TRV for her that you can apply to get it extended every time it's about to expire. Say you have already applied for her sponsorship and that she would like to stay and wait. You of course can support her financially or she has funds she can show so that will not be an issue. I have heard of other people doing this. I don't see why it would not work for you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
Normally it's 50/50 so if you stay 6 months, you leave for 6. Otherwise you are not really visiting anymore. What you can do is if you get a TRV for her that you can apply to get it extended every time it's about to expire. Say you have already applied for her sponsorship and that she would like to stay and wait. You of course can support her financially or she has funds she can show so that will not be an issue. I have heard of other people doing this. I don't see why it would not work for you.
They won't issue a TRV to a visa exempt visitor. She would be admitted as a visitor for 6 months, and could apply for an additional 6 months, but any requests for over that year may be problematic.

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There have been people on this board who claimed to have extended TRV's for as much as 3 years so it can be done.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
There have been people on this board who claimed to have extended TRV's for as much as 3 years so it can be done.
A correction, a TRV (Temporary Residence Visa) is issued to non visa exempt nationals to allow them to apply at a port of entry for admission as a visitor. If they are admitted they are issued either a visitor (can be just a stamp)work/study permit. For extensions they apply for a visitor/work/study permit, they don't apply to extend a TRV.

PMM

Lindsey

Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for the replies. I've searched through this site and another forum and have picked up that this type of approach has happened (based on what they are saying), but the originating country is often not provided. I also pick up the complete opposite that it just can't be done.

Trying to phone and actually get a live person at CIC has proven unsuccessful at this point but I'll keep trying. Before my Mum lists her home I'd like to have a better understanding of whether this is a viable approach, or she better be prepared to stay with her sister every 6 months ;)

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you phone CIC, you need to pick your way through the first couple of menus, then press zero to get a live person. I don't think they actually say it on the voicemail system that you can press zero to get a live person but you can, not until after the first couple of menus though.

P.C.

Mar 20, 2009
"0" is the key.

...and Thursdays are the least busy....I don't believe that, but that's what they claim. :)

I've always gotten through after 2 or 3 tries...after they hang up the phone on you...how rude!!