+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Multiple entry 10 year visit visa for my mother..is there a minimum time to stay back before arriving again

jgd

Star Member
Oct 8, 2012
Hello

My mother has a ten-year visitor visa issued in 2016 and she has visited me for six months every year and gone back to India or USA. She has Indian passport but stayed more than a year in USA with my sister on US tourist visa.

She arrived from USA to Canada on May 2011, I had applied online for her extension in Nov..didn't receive a update yet.
1. Is there any way she can stay more than one year in Canada with her visitor visa.
2. If she returns to India for a month and comes back again as visitor what is the law regarding her admissibility as visitor in Canada.
3. Is there a minimum time for visitors to stay away from Canada before reentering?

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello

My mother has a ten-year visitor visa issued in 2016 and she has visited me for six months every year and gone back to India or USA. She has Indian passport but stayed more than a year in USA with my sister on US tourist visa.

She arrived from USA to Canada on May 2011, I had applied online for her extension in Nov..didn't receive a update yet.
1. Is there any way she can stay more than one year in Canada with her visitor visa.
2. If she returns to India for a month and comes back again as visitor what is the law regarding her admissibility as visitor in Canada.
3. Is there a minimum time for visitors to stay away from Canada before reentering?

Thanks
1. She can certainly try but no guarantees.
2. She should be admitted. Visitors are never guaranteed entry. There are sometimes concerns about funds, concerns that someone is moving to Canada permanently while only allowed to visit including too much time spent in Canada, etc. if there are concerns sometimes visitors are admitted but for a shorter period of time. The large majority of parents visiting run into no problems.
3. There is no published amount of time that a visitor must remain out of Canada before returning. In general, you should be spending the same amount of time in your home country or more time than in Canada. We have seen many return much earlier. Would suggest at a minimum reestablishing her life in India for a few months before returning. Based on your post it seems as though your mother may be visiting US and then Ottawa with no mention of returning home. If she hasn’t spent anytime in India over the past 3 years I would suggest remaining longer