+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Multi entry visitor visa - flag pole?

a1177

Nov 5, 2023
Hi,

I have a multiple entry visitor visa which expires in 5 years.

I was waiting for my spousal visa. Yesterday, my open work permit was just refused and spousal visa returned.

I want to stay to resubmit for the spousal visa (and I'm currently living here with my spouse for that) hence I need to re-enter as a visitor to have a valid status (required to apply for PR).

My only option is to flag pole. I no longer have the option to apply for an extension. The 90 day restoration is not applicable.

Update: I flag poled today and it was smooth sailing. It didn't seem like a standard process for most, but my request to re-enter with my visitor visa was granted, enough time for me to re-apply for my spousal visa.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi,

I have a multiple entry visitor visa which expires in 5 years

Should I flag pole as a leave-and-come-back every 06 months? Instead of getting an extension?

What are the pros and cons?
Cons ?

You get stopped at the border . Refused entry. You do understand hopefully, that just because the visa is valid for five years , you can’t stay here for five years

What exactly are you attempting to do ?

Last edited:

albloshi_sa

Jul 28, 2019
Oh my God, how can someone think about this..

This is a shortcut way to get banned in Canada..

At the POE during re-entry request,
You need to explain,
why were you staying 6 months straight? and want to stay 6 months again?
how are you surviving financially in Canada?
where is your funds coming from?
are you working illegally?
what about your home country?
what about your job in home country?

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Hi,

Should I flag pole as a leave-and-come-back every 06 months? Instead of getting an extension?

Pro: You become the USA's problem when refused re-entry
Con: I can't think of any

a1177

Nov 5, 2023
Sorry I didn't mention, I'm in the process of getting the PR through spousal visa. And it's taking way longer than expected. Hence I need to re-enter for a valid status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Context: I'm in the process of getting the PR through spousal visa. And it's taking way longer than expected. Hence I need to re-enter for a valid status. I've been supported by my spouse financially.
No - don't do this. It's a bad idea. Apply for the extension from within Canada instead. Flagpoling carries a much higher chance of something going wrong.

Sep 4, 2023
Hi,

Context: I'm in the process of getting the PR through spousal visa. And it's taking way longer than expected. Hence I need to re-enter for a valid status. I've been supported by my spouse financially.
Have you received AOR?
When does your current 6 months status expire?

If you are looking to maintain legal status a better and less risker option would be to apply for a Inland Spousal Open Work Permit.

You do need your AOR for this and it can only be applied for online but takes long processing times, 4-6 months.

But the good thing about this is even though your visitor status expires but you submitted your work permit application before your current status expires you will receive maintained status.

Meaning you have legal status until the day they make a decision on your Work permit application. If successful after receiving work permit you can work in Canada according to its conditions while waiting for PR.

Hope this helps

a1177

Nov 5, 2023
Have you received AOR?
When does your current 6 months status expire?

If you are looking to maintain legal status a better and less risker option would be to apply for a Inland Spousal Open Work Permit.

You do need your AOR for this and it can only be applied for online but takes long processing times, 4-6 months.

But the good thing about this is even though your visitor status expires but you submitted your work permit application before your current status expires you will receive maintained status.

Meaning you have legal status until the day they make a decision on your Work permit application. If successful after receiving work permit you can work in Canada according to its conditions while waiting for PR.

Hope this helps

It does - unfortunately, I've done all the above and my work permit application just got refused. I'm seeking a valid visitor status as opposed to leaving and re-applying for spousal from outside Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It does - unfortunately, I've done all the above and my work permit application just got refused. I'm seeking a valid visitor status as opposed to leaving and re-applying for spousal from outside Canada.
Did you apply for the OWP after you receive AOR? Can you confirm you applied inland?

If you are now out of status in Canada, then you definitely do not want to flagpole. Apply to restore your status.