+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MSP question

kwu

Aug 31, 2020
Hi everyone,

We mailed in our in-land sponsorship application in Aug. I know as long as i mailed in my application and paid for the fees from IRCC i can apply for MSP. Since BC eliminated MSP premium when my spouse (he is the sponsor) apply for me to be cover under his MSP do i still have to pay for the premium?

Thanks

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi everyone,

We mailed in our in-land sponsorship application in Aug. I know as long as i mailed in my application and paid for the fees from IRCC i can apply for MSP. Since BC eliminated MSP premium when my spouse (he is the sponsor) apply for me to be cover under his MSP do i still have to pay for the premium?

Thanks
If you qualify for MSP then you will not have to pay for it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

Thanks
Under the impression you need to receive AOR but could be wrong. This is a relatively new change.

kwu

Aug 31, 2020
Under the impression you need to receive AOR but could be wrong. This is a relatively new change.
i'm also pretty confused.
MSP website stated "payment receipt(s) from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that show the sponsorship fee, application for permanent residence fee and Right of Permanent Residence fee have been paid in full.
I guess we will just have to wait for the 21 days processing period to find out

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I think MSP has changed their requirement over the years. Back then they won't even say for sure when HR of my office contacted them with AIP.

Rainy_614

Sep 2, 2020
Hi,

I’m kinda confused about when I’m eligible to apply MSP. We applied my spousal sponsorship through the consulting company. They said after I got SIN number I could apply MSP. However, “gov.bc.ca” said it must be submitted with a photocopy of an accepted identification document and recipes from Immigration.
So... my points are
When can I get SIN? Do I actually have to wait till I get SIN? What is the accepted identification? Is it AOR? When did you apply MSP?

Chutsk10

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
You can apply for MSP as soon as you submit your sponsorship application provided you are the spouse of a PR or Citizen whom already receives MSP (I am not sure if common-law qualifies).

You do not need a SIN#, you do not need AOR. Just the receipt that confirms you paid all your application fees and your ID. [We also submit a marriage certificate to prove the relationship and a copy of the TRV in the passport. I have heard some people also include airline tickets or itinerary from your last trip INTO Canada to prove you are now physically there.]

It may be a new policy and the MSP website is kind of unclear on the matter but my wife and a few others on this forum just received MSP coverage and can confirm all you need is the proof of fee payment.

PS: You can apply for your SIN as soon as you get your OWP (assuming you applied for one).

Skywalker09

Star Member
Sep 22, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
07/09/2014
Med's Request
07/20/2015
Med's Done....
08/07/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08/23/2015
VISA ISSUED...
09/11/2015
LANDED..........
05/07/2016
You can apply for MSP as soon as you submit your sponsorship application provided you are the spouse of a PR or Citizen whom already receives MSP (I am not sure if common-law qualifies).

You do not need a SIN#, you do not need AOR. Just the receipt that confirms you paid all your application fees and your ID. [We also submit a marriage certificate to prove the relationship and a copy of the TRV in the passport. I have heard some people also include airline tickets or itinerary from your last trip INTO Canada to prove you are now physically there.]

It may be a new policy and the MSP website is kind of unclear on the matter but my wife and a few others on this forum just received MSP coverage and can confirm all you need is the proof of fee payment.

PS: You can apply for your SIN as soon as you get your OWP (assuming you applied for one).
Hi Chutsk10! sorry i forgot to ask you about this during our last conversation. When the MSP is approved, I assume they will send it through mail., Does it come with the card and the PH Number? do you have to pay premiums? Thanks again for your help.

Chutsk10

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
First they sent an approval letter in the mail, just said my wife qualified for coverage starting on XXX date. About a week later my wife received the health card with PH number in the mail as well.

As far as I know all premiums were eliminated at the start of this year. We haven't paid anything yet.

Rainy_614

Sep 2, 2020
First they sent an approval letter in the mail, just said my wife qualified for coverage starting on XXX date. About a week later my wife received the health card with PH number in the mail as well.

As far as I know all premiums were eliminated at the start of this year. We haven't paid anything yet.
Chutsk10, thank you for explaining everything I wanted to know!!!! Helps a lot!!!! I’m going to call MSP ASAP:)

Chutsk10

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
The website says that "Eligibility for MSP coverage cannot be confirmed over the phone. Health Insurance BC can only determine a person’s eligibility after the person arrives in B.C. and their application for coverage and immigration documentation has been reviewed."

Right next to that it says "If you have questions about your eligibility or the eligibility of your dependent(s) or how to enrol in MSP, contact Health Insurance BC for assistance." :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how far you will get over the phone but you can find the application form as well as some further instructions at the below link.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible/applicants-for-permanent-resident-status

I mailed in my application, actually my place of work did since they manage my coverage, but it looks like you can also apply online.

Best of luck.

Skywalker09

Star Member
Sep 22, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
07/09/2014
Med's Request
07/20/2015
Med's Done....
08/07/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08/23/2015
VISA ISSUED...
09/11/2015
LANDED..........
05/07/2016

Thanks again for the helpful information as always. Take care buddy!!!

clue12

Jul 1, 2020

Hi! Just curious, how long did it take for your wife's MSP coverage to begin after you submitted the application?

Chutsk10

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
You can submit the MSP application as soon as you have the receipt of payment for the PR application. Once you submit the MSP application I believe the standard waiting period until coverage kicks in is 3 month. Due to COVID, the waiting period was waived for my wife (not sure if they are still doing that).

KingKcaj

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
You can submit the MSP application as soon as you have the receipt of payment for the PR application. Once you submit the MSP application I believe the standard waiting period until coverage kicks in is 3 month. Due to COVID, the waiting period was waived for my wife (not sure if they are still doing that).
I had to wait for 3 month before it kicked in, I paid out of pocket for a few things before it kicked in, since my wife was pregnant, but everything is fine now.