+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Msp / health coverage in B.C

doylia

Star Member
Jan 10, 2013
Hi Seniors and all,

I am a Pr in Canada currently residing in Vancouver, BC.
My MSP (health) coverage is valid till 2023. But I got stuck in India for last one and a half year due to covid couldn’t not fly back to B.C earlier. I’m a PR and staying out of Canada for more than a year does not affect my residential status. My question is that will my health coverage be impacted because I was away for more than 6 months? Or will it be continued as it is and I have coverage the day I land in Canada?
Thanks in advance !

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
As long as you have a valid health card you should be okay, where it becomes important whether you're in the country or not, is that they can ask you to refund the cost of any medical treatment you've undergone if you've stayed out of the country for longer than a certain period.

Reactions: doylia

doylia

Star Member
Jan 10, 2013
Thanks for your prompt replies! I was reading online that if you are away for more than 7 months you could lose your health benefits. So I guess that is not for Pr holders ?

doylia

Star Member
Jan 10, 2013
Ok so if I incurred any medical treatment outside Canada then they would not cover beyond 7 months. But once I land in Canada after a year and a half I’m covered from day one in case I need any medical treatment in Canada . Is that right ?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
No, not quite. They don't cover you for any medical costs incurred outside of the province. What happens is, you will be not be covered initially once you return because you will have been outside of the country for more than 7 months, which means you will have to pay for your medical treatment in BC.

However, there is this additional exemption which you should see whether you qualify under: \

In some circumstances, while temporarily outside the province for work or vacation, individuals may retain eligibility for coverage during an ‘extended absence’ of up to 24 consecutive months, once in a 60 month (five year) period. To qualify, the individual must:
  • be a Canadian citizen or a person lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence;
  • make his or her home in British Columbia;
  • be physically present in Canada for six of the 12 months immediately preceding departure;
  • not have been granted an extended absence in the previous 60 months (five years);
  • not have taken advantage of the seven month absence in a calendar year, available to vacationers, during the year the extended absence begins or during the calendar year prior to the start of the extended absence; and
  • not have returned to the province for more than 30 consecutive days during their extended absence.

doylia

Star Member
Jan 10, 2013
No, not quite. They don't cover you for any medical costs incurred outside of the province. What happens is, you will be not be covered initially once you return because you will have been outside of the country for more than 7 months, which means you will have to pay for your medical treatment in BC.

However, there is this additional exemption which you should see whether you qualify under: \

In some circumstances, while temporarily outside the province for work or vacation, individuals may retain eligibility for coverage during an ‘extended absence’ of up to 24 consecutive months, once in a 60 month (five year) period. To qualify, the individual must:
  • be a Canadian citizen or a person lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence;
  • make his or her home in British Columbia;
  • be physically present in Canada for six of the 12 months immediately preceding departure;
  • not have been granted an extended absence in the previous 60 months (five years);
  • not have taken advantage of the seven month absence in a calendar year, available to vacationers, during the year the extended absence begins or during the calendar year prior to the start of the extended absence; and
  • not have returned to the province for more than 30 consecutive days during their extended absence.
I qualify for all the points under “extended absence” but I’m just worried that in case i get covid while travelling if I’m covered when I land in Canada. Do I need to apply for “extended absence” before landing In Canada or after landing I can call Msp and apply for it? Do you know the process?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi Seniors and all,

I am a Pr in Canada currently residing in Vancouver, BC.
My MSP (health) coverage is valid till 2023. But I got stuck in India for last one and a half year due to covid couldn’t not fly back to B.C earlier. I’m a PR and staying out of Canada for more than a year does not affect my residential status. My question is that will my health coverage be impacted because I was away for more than 6 months? Or will it be continued as it is and I have coverage the day I land in Canada?
Thanks in advance !
The 2 in 5 year thing is normally applied for before you leave Canada, it allows you to have MSP coverage immediately if you return to BC for up to 30 days during the 2 year period. After the 2 years you would lose MSP and have to wait the 3 month waiting period when you return to BC permanently.

As mentioned above, I believe it is Canada wide but not sure, BC for sure that Covid treatment is free for anyone in the country. Pre-covid if you needed treatment or a hospital stay you wouldn't be refused but they can look to get reimbursement for treatment of any kind. Since Covid, BC and ON and not sure of other provinces have waived the 3 month waiting period for coverage. That will might change back to it's previous way once Covid is gone, who knows when that will be. So for the meantime you will be covered by MSP once you return to Canada. On returning you should check to see if your MSP was cancelled for being out of country for more than the 7 month time frame mentioned above and if so have it re-instated ASAP.

Don't assume that they won't know how long you have been out of the country, they do.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok so if I incurred any medical treatment outside Canada then they would not cover beyond 7 months. But once I land in Canada after a year and a half I’m covered from day one in case I need any medical treatment in Canada . Is that right ?
You are supposed to advise MSP when you are out of BC for an extended amount of time. A valid card does not mean you have valid coverage as some have found out after receiving a bill. Some have received bills after it was discovered they hadn’t met the residency obligation to receive healthcare. You have to meet the residency obligations to receive MSP which are different than RO to keep PR status. I would suggest advising MSP of your absence and then when you come back advise them of your return. Whether you qualify for immediate coverage depends on whether you qualify for the special exemptions.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I don't think being away has any impact on your MSP since PR doesn't need to pay the 75 dollars anymore.
There are residency obligation to qualify for healthcare. Having a valid card does not mean you’re entitled to coverage. Residency obligation to receive healthcare are in place so that people can’t arrive in Canada for a short time to receive healthcare. In general the residency rules will mean most will be tax residents when receiving healthcare.