+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MPNP-Job Changing Due to Mass Lay-Off

Phucnguyen

May 3, 2020
Hello everyone, hope you all are doing well and thank you for taking your time to read my post.

I got MPNP in Nov 2021 and applied for PR and BOWP ( as I was on PGWP and it expired in Jan 2022 this year). Everything went well as I planned but suddenly 2 weeks ago, my company announced they would terminate around 200 employees including me due to financial losses and I was really freaked out because of that.

I am very worried as I do not know what to do, I have been trying to contact MPNP but so far have not received any response from them. Right now, I am still waiting for my PR application and BOWP ( which is a closed work permit to work for that specific employer) and have not got any update for both. So what should I do?

I am planning to apply for a new job but not quite sure about the BOWP, MPNP application, and would it affect my entire PR application?

If anyone went through the same issue, any advice is appreciated and thank you in advance. Thank you!

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Hello everyone, hope you all are doing well and thank you for taking your time to read my post.

I got MPNP in Nov 2021 and applied for PR and BOWP ( as I was on PGWP and it expired in Jan 2022 this year). Everything went well as I planned but suddenly 2 weeks ago, my company announced they would terminate around 200 employees including me due to financial losses and I was really freaked out because of that.

I am very worried as I do not know what to do, I have been trying to contact MPNP but so far have not received any response from them. Right now, I am still waiting for my PR application and BOWP ( which is a closed work permit to work for that specific employer) and have not got any update for both. So what should I do?

I am planning to apply for a new job but not quite sure about the BOWP, MPNP application, and would it affect my entire PR application?

If anyone went through the same issue, any advice is appreciated and thank you in advance. Thank you!
Sorry to hear about that. Can I ask which company or industry the job was in?

The longer MPNP takes to reply, the better it is IMO. From my understanding, once a province confirms you've lost your job they ask you to find another in 30-90 days otherwise they withdraw the nomination certificate behind your PNP application.

So if I was you, I would rush to find a new job as quickly as possible (with the same nomination conditions as your previous role) and give that to the MPNP so your certificate can stay valid.

crazyfin

Sep 6, 2021
Extracts from the MPNP website (https://immigratemanitoba.com/immigrate-to-manitoba/general-mpnp-policies/apply-for-pr/):
"Report any employment changes to the MPNP, ex: layoff or changing employers."

If you really get sacked, you should report to MPNP immediately and tell them you are going to start seeking another employment. MPNP usually will give you some time to seek, say 30 - 60 days. Once you get a new job, inform them and get a new WSPL, and applied for a new closed work permit.

Phucnguyen

May 3, 2020
Extracts from the MPNP website (https://immigratemanitoba.com/immigrate-to-manitoba/general-mpnp-policies/apply-for-pr/):
"Report any employment changes to the MPNP, ex: layoff or changing employers."

If you really get sacked, you should report to MPNP immediately and tell them you are going to start seeking another employment. MPNP usually will give you some time to seek, say 30 - 60 days. Once you get a new job, inform them and get a new WSPL, and applied for a new closed work permit.
Hi Crazyfin, thank you for your info. I did send them an email on Apr 15 and again 2 days ago but have not received anything from them. If I got a new job, can I start working rightaway? The thing is I am still waiting for BOWP for my previous employer and still have not received it as well, I applied for that in Dec last year. Everything takes so long now.

Phucnguyen

May 3, 2020
I applied for BOWP, I was confused between BOWP and closed work permit because I thought they are the same. I apply MPNP and PR under Express Entry.

crazyfin

Sep 6, 2021
I applied for BOWP, I was confused between BOWP and closed work permit because I thought they are the same. I apply MPNP and PR under Express Entry.
As you have applied for BOWP, you are under implied status.
You can work immediately if you have a new offer.
Just make sure you inform MPNP of the details of ur new employment

Phucnguyen

May 3, 2020
As you have applied for BOWP, you are under implied status.
You can work immediately if you have a new offer.
Just make sure you inform MPNP of the details of ur new employment
Once again, thank you so much for your help!
If I am under implied status after my PGWP expired and waiting to get BOWP. Like you said ai can work immediately but can I work a part-time jobs beside my full-time? As this is an open work permit?

crazyfin

Sep 6, 2021
Once again, thank you so much for your help!
If I am under implied status after my PGWP expired and waiting to get BOWP. Like you said ai can work immediately but can I work a part-time jobs beside my full-time? As this is an open work permit?
Sure, PGWP and BOWP is an open work permit. You can work part time jobs for sure, as long as your employer are okay with that! Good luck mate