+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Vancouver from US, wife is 30 weeks pregnant, lots of questions..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes. I believe there is a cap on how much you actually get back. Most people only claim extended benefits if not covered by a company plan so it is relative;y low.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry I feel really bad. You asked a simple question and got a completely different answer. I'm crossing my fingers for you.

Aug 2, 2017
Just got a call from my HR and she confirmed that the company has prepared an insurance plan that covers the 90 days gap before the provincial plan kicks in.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Just got a call from my HR and she confirmed that the company has prepared an insurance plan that covers the 90 days gap before the provincial plan kicks in.
You better make sure that plan specifically covers your wife, regular hospital/doctor checkups (not just emergencies), and for pre-existing conditions (like pregnancy).

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just to be really sure I might ask for a copy of the policy. You will probably have to pay up front and then be reimbursed. You may get lucky when it come to the delivery and the hospital may bill directly. That information should be in the policy so another good reason to get a copy. As I said this situation is pretty rare. Either people pay cash for appointments and delivery or most frequently people show up at the hospital in labour and have a baby but don't have the funds so they get a passport for their baby and return to their country. Third option is going with a midwife if you plan on living in Canada but your insurance coverage hasn't started and you feel midwifery is a more affordable option.

Fairmont81

Star Member
Feb 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29 September 2014
Nomination.....
Jan 05 2015
AOR Received.
Jan 09 2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with Docs
File Transfer...
Jan 09 2015
Pregnancy is often an exclusion to these requirements and technically you are employed not your wife. I would call the hospital but I have heard that an uncomplicated vaginal delivery is around 10K. I am from Ontario so I am not sure whether you need a referral from a GP. There is some variability between the provinces. I would call an OB office.

Hi there
I m moving to toronto..we landed last year but didnt apply health card. Wife is pregnent with expected delivery by end of Jan.
I am worried about the 3 month lead time...I put a thread on main page also...can u chck and reply for ontario.

The mid wife option covers the ultrasounds etc. Also?
What if it is a scesarian delivery...can mid wifes perform that or hospitals are referred.

Can I fly-in, apply for health cards for all of us so as tp have the medical cards ready in time for delivery?

Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there
I m moving to toronto..we landed last year but didnt apply health card. Wife is pregnent with expected delivery by end of Jan.
I am worried about the 3 month lead time...I put a thread on main page also...can u chck and reply for ontario.

The mid wife option covers the ultrasounds etc. Also?
What if it is a scesarian delivery...can mid wifes perform that or hospitals are referred.

Can I fly-in, apply for health cards for all of us so as tp have the medical cards ready in time for delivery?

Thanks in advance.
You couldn't have applied for health cards last year. No you must cover all cost for the first 3 months including tests, hospital costs, prescriptions, doctor visits, etc. There are some health clinics offered to refugees or illegal immigrants at no cost but you will have to look into those services. Apparently there are some midwives that take on care pro-bono but those are limited to availability so no guarantee at all. That would not cover cost of hospital, tests, etc. Unfortunately I would plan for at least 10K to be safe. The costs could be higher if c-section or complications.

You will not be able to fly in early to apply for health cards because in order to be eligible you need to be present in Ontario for the first 153 of 183 days.

Hope this helps.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Midwives will not even take you as a patient if you intend to do a c-section or may even be at risk for one. Not to mention a midwife would be practically impossible to get that late in pregnancy.