+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Vancouver from Seattle, USA via land - experience during COVID-19

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I have a question! Is there a limit on the total value of items we declare on the bsf186 form? If we're importing car, the total will be high right? Any posts or articles which says anything on the limit? Thank you for your answer.
1. No, there is no limit as long as the goods are used (and you are not a returning Canadian resident). Note the export and export of vehicles https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/export-docs/motor-vehicle Import: https://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

prenx4x

Apr 17, 2020
Hey, thank you for the update. The daytime running lights was one thing which I had a doubt. I'll check it here and see if I can get it done before moving. Did they say anything about the tires? Do you have to change it to an specific types there? Also, what do they do in the inspection other than the lights?

For the BSF186 Form did you print that as per the Legal Document Size (8.5"x14")?

Thank you.
Finally got my RIV inspection passed. Apart from the DRL wiring, I had to fix my broken taillight, which was working fine, just had cracked cover, but they failed me for it. Anyways you were right about the inspection fee which is $125 for BC inspection and $5 per tire for a federal inspection. There was no issue regarding my tires as I had them recently installed new ones, but it will fail if they are too old and worn out (they measure the tread mm or something), and if they are below a certain size, it's illegal.

I don't remember what size I printed the BSF186 form but I am sure it doesn't matter as they will stamp it and give it back to you. Also no limit on the amount /value of items you bring with you rather than what you bring. Like new items, alcohol, antiques, etc needs to be declared and paid customs for, and you can't sell any items you bring within one year without paying customs for it, but not sure how they can track that.

Snehathomas

Star Member
Sep 5, 2019
Finally got my RIV inspection passed. Apart from the DRL wiring, I had to fix my broken taillight, which was working fine, just had cracked cover, but they failed me for it. Anyways you were right about the inspection fee which is $125 for BC inspection and $5 per tire for a federal inspection. There was no issue regarding my tires as I had them recently installed new ones, but it will fail if they are too old and worn out (they measure the tread mm or something), and if they are below a certain size, it's illegal.

I don't remember what size I printed the BSF186 form but I am sure it doesn't matter as they will stamp it and give it back to you. Also no limit on the amount /value of items you bring with you rather than what you bring. Like new items, alcohol, antiques, etc needs to be declared and paid customs for, and you can't sell any items you bring within one year without paying customs for it, but not sure how they can track that.
Hey thanks a lot for the update. Did they do any other inspections? I have cracked rear bumper, is that okay? Is winter/all season tires mandatory in BC? I read that somewhere so just asking.
Thank you for patiently answering me. I just want to make sure everything is fine before moving out.

vellocet

Jun 9, 2019
Hello, I just wanted to share my recent experience of moving to Vancouver BC from Seattle WA through the land border on Apr 16th amidst the coronavirus situation.

This was my first time coming to Canada with my COPR which was approved on Jan 2020. I had used the Pacific Highway Port of Entry (and not peach arch) as I was planning to export my car and the US export office was at Pacific highway. I was glad I traveled through this border as there was no rush (I mean not another soul). The entire process took maybe 15 mins US side for car export and 20-30 mins on Canada side.
For documents, I had my car title, registration and ITN number (there is a car export process that you need to follow. Ask me particulars or check online if you need to export your car as well), passports and COPR for me and my wife, personal effects list and mover's inventory list. I also had my offer letter and finance documents but those were not needed. They did not check or verified anything from my car.
After I got my title stamped from the US export office, I was first stopped at the Canada border checkpoint, where they asked me bunch of standard questions. Then they asked me where I plan to stay during the self-isolation 2 weeks. I had booked Airbnb, so I gave them that address. Then they made us take an oath and swear that we will quarantine for 14 days. They they asked me to go further and park at a spot, go inside an office and another officer helped me. He took my documents, asked some more standard questions and then asked us to sit while he worked on his computer. When he was done, he called us, instructed about the self-isolation order and congratulated us.
After all these formalities, There was another checkpoint just up ahead which asked us about our health and instructed us to self-isolate for 14 days. Self-isolation is being stressed very heavily on the border at every step. They are very serious about the quarantine order.
Overall it was quite a smooth experience. Now I am in self-isolation till the end of April.
During my stay here, I am using uber eats and other food delivery services. I am also using instacart for grocery delivery.
Service Canada offices are closed but they are accepting applications of SIN number by mail.

If anyone has any questions or planning to do similar thing you can ask me. I will try my best to answer. Hope this was helpful.
Thanks for sharing this! Can you please share how you registered for your SIN number, BC Services card, bank account etc? What were the required documents?

Danaan

Star Member
Jan 23, 2017
Virginia, USA
App. Filed.......
15-05-2017
Re: mover's inventory list - did you hire a moving company to ship your household goods, and how did that process go? We are planning to do the same border crossing but drive our own moving van and vehicle to import.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Same question here: during your initial border crossing in April, what did you do with all your furniture, etc. during the 14-day quarantine?
I imagine you couldn't have stored it all in your Airbnb

prenx4x

Apr 17, 2020
Thanks for sharing this! Can you please share how you registered for your SIN number, BC Services card, bank account etc? What were the required documents?
Hey, I applied for SIN by mail as online was not working at that time. You need to mail in your original passport and copr document along with a form which you can find in the canada.ca website. Address proof is not required if applying through mail. I also sent in the prepaid return envelope as well. I received mine in one week. They took 2-3 days from the day they received my mail, to the day they shipped it back.

For online you need to send in copy of passport, copr and address proof. Not sure how long will that take.

I have not applied for BC services card.
For bank account you can take appointment with any of the popular banks like TD, Royal bank, Scotia etc. You will need original passport and COPR for bank account and SIN for credit card.

prenx4x

Apr 17, 2020
Re: mover's inventory list - did you hire a moving company to ship your household goods, and how did that process go? We are planning to do the same border crossing but drive our own moving van and vehicle to import.
Yes, I had used a mover through my company. They gave me an inventory list of all my goods that they packed. Along with that list, I had filled the personal goods form for the goods I was carrying with me in my car. At the Canada border, I showed them both the lists and they stamped it. Later when my goods arrived through my movers, they called me and sent me some forms which I had to print and take it to the customs office somewhere near downtown Vancouver to clear those, along with the stamped inventory's list which I received from the border. That process barely took 5 minutes. Once I was done there, the movers were able to deliver all my stuff.

Reactions: Danaan

prenx4x

Apr 17, 2020
Same question here: during your initial border crossing in April, what did you do with all your furniture, etc. during the 14-day quarantine?
I imagine you couldn't have stored it all in your Airbnb
I asked the movers to store it with them for a month or so, until I was ready to receive it in my own apartment.

rakib_

Mar 28, 2017
Hey prenx4x,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience in such details!

I am also planning to move to Vancouver through Seattle. What is your recommendation on driving a Rental car (one way) or U-Haul while crossing the border? Will they want an explanation of how we will return the Rental car (YVR airport) or return U-Haul truck during the first 14 days?

Thanks!

guptaks1991

Jul 23, 2019
Hello, I just wanted to share my recent experience of moving to Vancouver BC from Seattle WA through the land border on Apr 16th amidst the coronavirus situation.

This was my first time coming to Canada with my COPR which was approved on Jan 2020. I had used the Pacific Highway Port of Entry (and not peach arch) as I was planning to export my car and the US export office was at Pacific highway. I was glad I traveled through this border as there was no rush (I mean not another soul). The entire process took maybe 15 mins US side for car export and 20-30 mins on Canada side.
For documents, I had my car title, registration and ITN number (there is a car export process that you need to follow. Ask me particulars or check online if you need to export your car as well), passports and COPR for me and my wife, personal effects list and mover's inventory list. I also had my offer letter and finance documents but those were not needed. They did not check or verified anything from my car.
After I got my title stamped from the US export office, I was first stopped at the Canada border checkpoint, where they asked me bunch of standard questions. Then they asked me where I plan to stay during the self-isolation 2 weeks. I had booked Airbnb, so I gave them that address. Then they made us take an oath and swear that we will quarantine for 14 days. They they asked me to go further and park at a spot, go inside an office and another officer helped me. He took my documents, asked some more standard questions and then asked us to sit while he worked on his computer. When he was done, he called us, instructed about the self-isolation order and congratulated us.
After all these formalities, There was another checkpoint just up ahead which asked us about our health and instructed us to self-isolate for 14 days. Self-isolation is being stressed very heavily on the border at every step. They are very serious about the quarantine order.
Overall it was quite a smooth experience. Now I am in self-isolation till the end of April.
During my stay here, I am using uber eats and other food delivery services. I am also using instacart for grocery delivery.
Service Canada offices are closed but they are accepting applications of SIN number by mail.

If anyone has any questions or planning to do similar thing you can ask me. I will try my best to answer. Hope this was helpful.
Did you buy Canadian car insurance before entering Canada or using your US insurance?

rodsamlisa

Sep 17, 2019

prenx4x,
First congrats and million thanks for sharing and the offer. My wife and I are still in the process. if I may ask: how detailed was your items list? My wife and I are older and have amassed quite a few things. while we have wittled our belongings down quite a bit. their still is quite the list. frankly were perhaps overthinking it. as an example. If I bring a tool box. full of tools. How does one list/itemizes each tool? bag of screwdrivers much less a drawer of silverware. just as an example. again thanks a million! -Sam and Lisa. (Tampabay to Vancouver)