+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to US while citizenship application is in process

ankz001

Sep 21, 2017
Good morning. I have applied for my citizenship on March 8th 2021 and still have a long way to go.
I am getting married at end of this year. My fiancé is in US and I will be moving with him after wedding.
Does it cause any issue if I am coming from US to do online test/ interview/oath and if they know that my husband is in US?
We have intention to come back & settle in Canada in next few years, since fiancé is on H1B there.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Does it cause any issue if I am coming from US to do online test/ interview/oath and if they know that my husband is in US?
No issues. Few of applicants are outside and traveling to Canada to complete the process whenever invited for test/interview/oath.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/leave-country-while-citizenship-in-process.725346/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/canadian-citizenship-application-and-us-permanent-resident-application.721994/

Reactions: ankz001

CorvusGlaive

Star Member
Oct 27, 2020
Good morning. I have applied for my citizenship on March 8th 2021 and still have a long way to go.
I am getting married at end of this year. My fiancé is in US and I will be moving with him after wedding.
We have intention to come back & settle in Canada in next few years, since fiancé is on H1B there.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
This is what’s on the CIC website:

Leaving Canada after you submit your application
You can leave Canada after we receive your application as long as you:

• keep your permanent resident (PR) status
  • can receive any letter mail, parcels and emails we send you after you submit your application
  • can reply to our letters and emails within the specified time, usually within 30 days
  • are available in person in Canada to attend your citizenship test (if you’re between 18 and 54 years of age), interview, and ceremony
Let us know if you plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row.

Babyboy_legolas

Star Member
Nov 2, 2016
It should be no issue. If you already submitted your papers, that means in theory that you already fulfilled the minimal physical presence. Just be aware that you will need to be in Canada for Test, Interview and Oath. After the oath you will need to surrender your PR, with that and until you get your passport you will not be able to travel out of Canada by plane. Terrestrial borders allow it.

ankz001

Sep 21, 2017
Thank you all.
So I see since intent to reside in Canada is no longer a clause for citizenship and me being truthful in interview and telling them I am staying in US after I receive citizenship, I should still be good. Right?