+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Quebec from USA

JesseH

Feb 1, 2006
I am a US citizen (currently living in New Hampshire) in the process of getting my permanant residence in Quebec. I have already been accepted by the province of QC itself (received my Certificate of Selection to Quebec) and now my application is "In Process" with the federal government.

My boyfriend is French Canadian and currently living in Montreal where I intend to move once I am accepted. I frequently travel from NH to Montreal on the weekends and I never have any trouble at the border since I am just "visiting friends".

However, once I am accepted to move to Montreal, I may still have to complete several weeks of work at my current US job. Ideally I would like to be able to move my belongings up to Montreal by car on the weekends while I finish my job in the US.

Consequently, I am concerned that if the border patrol sees that I have been accepted as a permanant resident (even if I haven't "landed" yet), and that I am obviously moving over the border, they will not allow me to do so ("drop my stuff off") and still come back to the US to finish work.

Does anyone have further details regarding this sort of situation?

Thank you!

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
Once you are accepted you should not have any trouble at the border but, I would suggest better to have everything sent by cargo plane and stay at a friend's place.

With all the security going on since sept. 11, they may stop you and decide to have you take everything out to make sure you don't have any thing that u shouldn't and with terrorist security watch..I thing its a saffer bet to send all by cargo plane. It is not expensive either and much less problems.

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
Once you are accepted you should not have any trouble at the border but, I would suggest better to have everything sent by cargo plane and stay at a friend's place.

With all the security going on since sept. 11, they may stop you and decide to have you take everything out to make sure you don't have any thing that u shouldn't and with terrorist security watch..I thing its a saffer bet to send all by cargo plane. It is not expensive either and much less problems.

JesseH

Feb 1, 2006
Thank you for your reply.
It is definitely an idea to send my belongings by cargo plane but since it is only a 4 1/2 hour car ride and I already drive up to Montreal frequently as a visitor, my main concern is not how I am going to get my belongings there, but when.

The worst case scenario is that I will just wait to bring everthing across the border in my car on the day (or weekend) I "land" in Quebec. I was just hoping to avoid renting a U-haul by taking my things up little by little since I'm making the trips in the mean time anyway.

In the event I do consider shipping my things via cargo plane, I imagine I could ship them whenever I wanted as long as I have someone on the other end picking them up right?

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
:D Yes, you can do that any time as long someone is there to pick it up or you send and go pick it up on the day u arrive.

:D You can bring little by little also, but not much because if they see boxes etc..they may make you unpack everything. Because of the sensivity of terrorisim, I believe you better send by cargo. Its no fun to be held up at the border and treated as if u were a criminal. Even if you have landing papers..do you see yourself having to empty the u-haul!!! I wouldn't take that chance and sending by cargo is cheaper.

:? I don't even go to the states anymore because of the hassle and the waiting. So I spend my money elsewhere.

JesseH

Feb 1, 2006
I see, good point about being treated like a criminal. I hate having to deal with immigration and questioning.

Maybe shipping the cargo is the better option. Do you know of any good US/Canadian companies?

May 13, 2015
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
Doc's Request.
21-01-2015