Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi,
I just got my PR approved through the regular Canadian immigration process. I currently live in BC where I have been living for 2 years with a regular work permit. A company from Montreal contacted me for a job opportunity there, and while my initial intention was to keep living in BC (or maybe move to Ontario), I am now considering if moving to Quebec is actually an option.

The immigration attorney of the company that would like to hire me said that as long as I have a valid and approved Canadian PR, I have freedom of movement across Canada (including Quebec), and I have also read about this somewhere on the web. I am not very familiar with the regular immigration process to Quebec, but I would be curious to know if somebody has actually moved to Quebec with a regular Canadian PR. In particular, I would like to know:

- if there is a minimum number of months I should live in Canada out of Quebec as a permanent resident before moving to Quebec
- if I can have any particular challenge living in Quebec without CSQ (e.g., to get provincial health coverage or to get my BC driver's licence transferred to QC)
- if at the time of applying for citizenship, living in Quebec for too long may be an issue

Of course, should a move to Quebec be an issue for my immigration status, I will definitely exclude it.
Thanks!

Last edited:

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..
Hi,
I just got my PR through the regular Canadian immigration process. I currently live in BC where I have been living for 2 years with a regular work permit. A company from Montreal contacted me for a job opportunity there, and while my initial intention was to keep living in BC (or maybe move to Ontario), I am now considering if moving to Quebec is actually an option.

The immigration attorney of the company that would like to hire me said that as long as I have a valid and approved Canadian PR, I have freedom of movement across Canada (including Quebec), and I have also read about this somewhere on the web. I am not very familiar with the regular immigration process to Quebec, but I would be curious to know if somebody has actually moved to Quebec with a regular Canadian PR. In particular, I would like to know:

- if there is a minimum number of months I should live in Canada out of Quebec as a permanent resident before moving to Quebec
- if I can have any particular challenge living in Quebec without CSQ (e.g., to get provincial health coverage or to get my BC driver's licence transferred to QC)
- if at the time of applying for citizenship, living in Quebec for too long may be an issue

Of course, should a move to Quebec be an issue for my immigration status, I will definitely exclude it.
Thanks!
Once a PR you can freely move or work anywhere in Canada ...
CSQ is required for nedical coverage only when if in your COPR destination is Quebec !!

Cell

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
I didn't get my PR card yet thou, should I at least wait to receive my PR card, or is it not necessary? I believe that once landing is completed, I am officially a permanent resident, whether or not I have my PR card. I'm just wondering if they would ever send the PR card to a Quebec address thou.

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..
I didn't get my PR card yet thou, should I at least wait to receive my PR card, or is it not necessary? I believe that once landing is completed, I am officially a permanent resident, whether or not I have my PR card. I'm just wondering if they would ever send the PR card to a Quebec address thou.
Yes you are correct once landing is done you are officially a PR ...if you are in rush to join new firm you can get PR card dispatched to someone at BC or Quebec address , CIC shouldn't have any issue with either....

zeyneps

Nov 2, 2017
United States
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-12-2017
Hello, did you end up moving to Quebec? did you have trouble getting health insurance (ramq) or French classes?

Oct 13, 2018
You can, there is nothing that stops you in paper, but in practice, it;'s a little more complex, as soon as you try to make a bureaucratic process like getting the REGIS or maybe a driver license if you don't have a CSQ they will give you a lot of problems

May 30, 2021
Any updates on this one? I may be in a similar situation and curious to know how Quebec treats its non-Quebec-vetted PRs.

I know from even Canadian Citizens who moved to Quebec from other provinces have experienced bureaucratic challenges. So I would not be surprised if Canadian PRs from outside Quebec could face even more.