+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving To Montreal Quebec

vikrampai

Oct 2, 2009
Dear All:

I have received my Permanent Residency in Canada, via the Quebec Skilled Worker program, my wife and I currently live in Hamburg Germany.

I intend to do my landing in Montreal Canada, around the middle of July this year (2019) as my permanent visa indicates I must land before September 12, 2019 and I have a few questions for which I would appreciate a clarification.

1. Upon landing where can I apply for my permanent residency card?

2. How long does it take to receive the permanent residency card?

3. Can I collect the card in person or does it have to be mailed to a mailing address?

4. I am yet to book a long term airbnb or cheap motel to stay in Montreal upon landing and I would appreciate any feedback with regards to the places and options newly landed immigrants employ upon landing in Montreal.

5. I intend to stay in Montreal for at most 2 months and then return to Hamburg, Germany, in addition to the permanent residency card are there any additional documents that I need to apply for while I am in Montreal?

6. Are there any options to get a driving license while I am in Montreal or do I need get my permanent residency card before I can apply for a driving license?

Thank you everyone in advance.

Best Regards

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Dear All:

I have received my Permanent Residency in Canada, via the Quebec Skilled Worker program, my wife and I currently live in Hamburg Germany.

I intend to do my landing in Montreal Canada, around the middle of July this year (2019) as my permanent visa indicates I must land before September 12, 2019 and I have a few questions for which I would appreciate a clarification.

1. Upon landing where can I apply for my permanent residency card?

2. How long does it take to receive the permanent residency card?

3. Can I collect the card in person or does it have to be mailed to a mailing address?

4. I am yet to book a long term airbnb or cheap motel to stay in Montreal upon landing and I would appreciate any feedback with regards to the places and options newly landed immigrants employ upon landing in Montreal.

5. I intend to stay in Montreal for at most 2 months and then return to Hamburg, Germany, in addition to the permanent residency card are there any additional documents that I need to apply for while I am in Montreal?

6. Are there any options to get a driving license while I am in Montreal or do I need get my permanent residency card before I can apply for a driving license?

Thank you everyone in advance.

Best Regards
1, It is processed by the CBSA officer as part of the "landing"
2. Presently it is 13 days plus mailing time.
3. It is mailed to a Canadian address only.
4. No idea.
5. Yes, you should apply for your Social Insurance No. at a Service Canada office.
6. Quebec. requirements
  • Documents to provide
    Licence exchange – Documents required at the time of your first appointment to check your eligibility
    • Foreign driver's licence
    • Proof of Canadian citizenship or right to stay in Canada Your COPR should be enough, but you also need a permanent address, so probably best to get it when you return.
    • Proof of residency in Québec
    • Proof of residency in the country in which your licence was issued if you obtained your licence within the previous 3 years
    • Translation of your driver's licence, if it is written in a language other than French or English

vikrampai

Oct 2, 2009
Hi:

Thank you so much for your response and for clarifying all my queries. My apologies but I have a few follow up questions:

1. As the permanent residency card is processed by the CBSA officer as part of landing, I assume they will need me to provide them with a mailing address, so would you have any idea if they would accept a PO Box address as a mailing address or is there any possibility that I can collect my permanent residency card in person at any office.

2. In order to apply for my Social Insurance Number at a Service Canada office, do I need to have permanent residency card before I apply for my social insurance number? Additionally would you have any idea, as to how long does it take for the social insurance number to be issued by the Service Canada office in Montreal Quebec?

3. As I intend to stay in Montreal Quebec only for 2 months as part of my innitial landing would it be advisable to apply for travel health insurance to cover my stay in Canada?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Best Regards

Hi

1, It is processed by the CBSA officer as part of the "landing"
2. Presently it is 13 days plus mailing time.
3. It is mailed to a Canadian address only.
4. No idea.
5. Yes, you should apply for your Social Insurance No. at a Service Canada office.
6. Quebec. requirements
  • Documents to provide
    Licence exchange – Documents required at the time of your first appointment to check your eligibility
    • Foreign driver's licence
    • Proof of Canadian citizenship or right to stay in Canada Your COPR should be enough, but you also need a permanent address, so probably best to get it when you return.
    • Proof of residency in Québec
    • Proof of residency in the country in which your licence was issued if you obtained your licence within the previous 3 years
    • Translation of your driver's licence, if it is written in a language other than French or English