+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada

meg.ts

Nov 24, 2017
Hi everyone,

We are moving to Canada in two months time (yay!) and I wanted to ask you for advice. We applied outland (from London, UK) for permanent residence permit (common law) in mid December. So far the cic has been very prompt - we got an update for passed medical just a few days after submitting it.
Due to my partner's job we have to move before actually getting the permit and I was wondering if there is anything we need to do. I am an EU citizen and have a ten year visa for Canada (got it before the visa free/eTA).
Should we print out all the communication regarding our application and present it at the border?
I've been to Canada multiple times and have never had an issue with entry (or any other country for that matter) so imagine it should be fine.

Thanks!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi everyone,

We are moving to Canada in two months time (yay!) and I wanted to ask you for advice. We applied outland (from London, UK) for permanent residence permit (common law) in mid December. So far the cic has been very prompt - we got an update for passed medical just a few days after submitting it.
Due to my partner's job we have to move before actually getting the permit and I was wondering if there is anything we need to do. I am an EU citizen and have a ten year visa for Canada (got it before the visa free/eTA).
Should we print out all the communication regarding our application and present it at the border?
I've been to Canada multiple times and have never had an issue with entry (or any other country for that matter) so imagine it should be fine.

Thanks!
Assuming that your spouse is a Canadian citizen, and you have already got a PR application in the system, you probably won't have serious issues coming over to stay as a "visitor". However, YOU can't MOVE to Canada until you are landed as a PR. CBSA may give you a hard time if you can't demonstrate that you will be able to leave Canada if your PR application is not complete by the time your visitor status expires (6 months).

CountryGurl_GMC

Star Member
Nov 16, 2015
Morriston, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
06-02-2018
Doc's Request.
20-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-03-2018
Med's Request
27-03-2018
You can't move to Canada until you land as PR. If you have belongings I would figure out a way to store them in the UK until you can land as PR. My step dad 'moved' to Canada before his PR. My mom had all their stuff sent over as her belongings instead of his but she had to pay duty on them.