+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada through Road

rakakatoofaan

Star Member
Sep 8, 2014
Just so that you know, lets say you are crossing daily between the borders, with the leased car. There might be a chance, the CBP officer might usher you to the Immigration Office and tell you, that you cannot drive the leased car in the country, and at that point there will be 3 options that will be provided:
a) Pay a Bond and take the car and once you pay off the lease/return it to the manufacturer, bring the proof you returned it and get your money.
b) Drop the Car at the immigration office (If you cannot pay the bond) and take a cab back home and then do the paperwork and then get it released for returning to US
c) CBP asks you to turn around and head back to US.

These are the options that were told to me and this is what I can remember.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Just so that you know, lets say you are crossing daily between the borders, with the leased car. There might be a chance, the CBP officer might usher you to the Immigration Office and tell you, that you cannot drive the leased car in the country, and at that point there will be 3 options that will be provided:
a) Pay a Bond and take the car and once you pay off the lease/return it to the manufacturer, bring the proof you returned it and get your money.
b) Drop the Car at the immigration office (If you cannot pay the bond) and take a cab back home and then do the paperwork and then get it released for returning to US
c) CBP asks you to turn around and head back to US.

These are the options that were told to me and this is what I can remember.
vow.. i did not expect the leased car would be a problem (even for commuters)... interesting.... Thanks for sharing. People can plan based on this.

How did you manage. Things are settled?

rakakatoofaan

Star Member
Sep 8, 2014
vow.. i did not expect the leased car would be a problem (even for commuters)... interesting.... Thanks for sharing. People can plan based on this.

How did you manage. Things are settled?
Leased cars are unusually not a problem, if you are visiting Canada. However, when you start living in Canada and commuting, there are a lot of chance, that the officer will ask, "Why do you have MI Licence plate?". If you tell them that I live in CA, then the officer will ask if the car is imported and all. Since, this car will not be on Goods to follow as it is a leased car, the officer might say what I wrote above.

All settled! Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: harirajmohan