+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada, PR parents, child born outside Canada

esperia

Feb 5, 2018
Hello,

Me and my husband did a short landing in March 2019 to become PRs. We came back to our home country and will now move definitely to Canada in February 2022, to be able to meet our residency requirements. In the meanwhile we had a child, which will be 1 year old when arriving to Canada.

We are from a visa exempt country, should our child just enter Canada as a tourist and we can then sponsor her when we're there?

Are we supposed to inform her birth to CIC before travelling?

We are vaccinated with 2 doses of Sinovac + 1 dose of Pfizer, but our child is unvaccinated. Should this be a problem for her to enter the country? (I know we will have to quarantine).

I'd appreciate any comments on this and if someone has had this experience.
Thank you in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Me and my husband did a short landing in March 2019 to become PRs. We came back to our home country and will now move definitely to Canada in February 2022, to be able to meet our residency requirements. In the meanwhile we had a child, which will be 1 year old when arriving to Canada.

We are from a visa exempt country, should our child just enter Canada as a tourist and we can then sponsor her when we're there?

Are we supposed to inform her birth to CIC before travelling?

We are vaccinated with 2 doses of Sinovac + 1 dose of Pfizer, but our child is unvaccinated. Should this be a problem for her to enter the country? (I know we will have to quarantine).

I'd appreciate any comments on this and if someone has had this experience.
Thank you in advance!
You all should be able to enter Canada although you have left yourselves with minimal buffer time. You will need to quarantine on arrival. You will be able to sponsor your child but in many provinces your child will not qualify for healthcare coverage until they receive PR so will need to take out emergency health insurance and pay for any routine care.

Reactions: YVR123

esperia

Feb 5, 2018
Thank you for your reply, it's what I was expecting.
Would our daughter be able to enter the country under the "reuniting with or accompanying family (including committed romantic partners)" reason? Because unvaccinated tourists are not allowed usually in the country (she's unvaccinated because she's 1 year old). Thanks again!

You all should be able to enter Canada although you have left yourselves with minimal buffer time. You will need to quarantine on arrival. You will be able to sponsor your child but in many provinces your child will not qualify for healthcare coverage until they receive PR so will need to take out emergency health insurance and pay for any routine care.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Would our daughter be able to enter the country under the "reuniting with or accompanying family (including committed romantic partners)" reason? Because unvaccinated tourists are not allowed usually in the country (she's unvaccinated because she's 1 year old). Thanks again!
I believe the approach they are taking is that children are 'treated as' vaccinated for purposes of entry etc if they are travelling with vaccinated parents. That's an oversimplifciation but they do not require vaccination of those that are not approved to receive the vaccine.

But the first task is to apply for and get the visa and next steps after that.

esperia

Feb 5, 2018
Yes, our country doesn't require a visa, so I guess we should start by applying for an ETA?

And do you know if we have to quarantine in the city where we enter Canada or can we still travel by plane through Canada until we get to our final destination? We're thinking of arriving to Vancouver and then taking a plane with another airline to Victoria.

Thank you again!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, our country doesn't require a visa, so I guess we should start by applying for an ETA?

And do you know if we have to quarantine in the city where we enter Canada or can we still travel by plane through Canada until we get to our final destination? We're thinking of arriving to Vancouver and then taking a plane with another airline to Victoria.

Thank you again!
I didn't realize you were from ETA country, timing less critical.

The new travel restrictions are complicated and I'm not fully up. Are all those (parents) travelling with children vaccinated? If so, I don't think you have to quarantine and shouldn't have trouble taking domestic fligths. But please important to check, this is all new and I'm not an expert.

fighter762829

Nov 25, 2019
In fact you can apply BC Medical Service Plan (MSP, if you and your kid will be living in British Columbia) for your child "under you" while applying/waiting for his/her PR. You need to submit the "PR Application Fee Receipt" to the BC health as a proof for your kid's PR application.

Please refer to - https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible/applicants-for-permanent-resident-status

I successfully did for my sponsored Child recently. Good luck !