+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada PR on H1B checklist/guidelines

venkat51286

Aug 1, 2017
Hi all, I am in H1B and have Canada PR and finally made up my mind to move to Toronto. I have few questions about visa/logistics
1) I have a house in USA. Can I give it to rental while I live in Canada (want to keep it in case if I return to USA after Canadian citizenship)
2) If I give 2 weeks notice to my current employer, can I go back and forth between USA and Canada to settle things here after that 2 weeks (I have visa stamped until eoy).
3) I know many people traveled in this boat. I couldn't find any checklist how to move from USA to Canada in terms of logistics. Do you guys have any list like that so I can do them mostly in one trip. TIA

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
2) If I give 2 weeks notice to my current employer, can I go back and forth between USA and Canada to settle things here after that 2 weeks (I have visa stamped until eoy).
You should be employed while seeking entry. So can you use you paid leaves to shift the things and then give notice and move out permanently. Why do you want to give notice first and try shifting instead of shifting and then giving notice?

venkat51286

Aug 1, 2017
You should be employed while seeking entry. So can you use you paid leaves to shift the things and then give notice and move out permanently. Why do you want to give notice first and try shifting instead of shifting and then giving notice?
Thanks @harirajmohan yeah definitely that I need to do. I know we have a checklist for step by step process to apply for Express entry in canadavisa forums. Do you know any similar list for moving from USA to Canada. (Car shifting, mobile switching etc. all in one order). This may sound silly but so many things to sort through. If anyone recently did this, please DM me as well.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks @harirajmohan yeah definitely that I need to do. I know we have a checklist for step by step process to apply for Express entry in canadavisa forums. Do you know any similar list for moving from USA to Canada. (Car shifting, mobile switching etc. all in one order). This may sound silly but so many things to sort through. If anyone recently did this, please DM me as well.
No one is going to give or someone has prepared for us. Find the solution for every item you mentioned and work parallely/in particular order that works(based on its own dependencies or based on your priority).

Here is what i know/faced, not in a particular order which you can order based on your priority:
Mobile: Add roaming to Canada package first. Dont disconnect in hurry till you settle(after 1-2 months of Canada living).

Car: this takes time to get the paper work done. If you dont have title then you can import temporarily as per one's note in forum. If you need permanent import then you need title and for permanent import it takes days to weeks to get the things align for day of import. Refer the forum https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/exporting-a-vehicle-from-the-u-s-and-importing-into-canada-complete-step-by-step-guide.539649/
First you should plan for this one as this takes time.

Moving goods: Its up to you if you can drive the small U haul truck or asking some company to shift the things.

Apartment: Find the rental locations and enquire while being there including the monthly rate, terms and conditions etc.
If you need to find the aparment based on school zone then you should first find the school first and then find the apartment in that zone( i assume that admission is based on zone like in Windsor but you need to verify as i am not sure about toronto)
https://www.compareschoolrankings.org/ - school rankings site.

what else other item you have?

venkat51286

Aug 1, 2017
No one is going to give or someone has prepared for us. Find the solution for every item you mentioned and work parallely/in particular order that works(based on its own dependencies or based on your priority).

Here is what i know/faced, not in a particular order which you can order based on your priority:
Mobile: Add roaming to Canada package first. Dont disconnect in hurry till you settle(after 1-2 months of Canada living).

Car: this takes time to get the paper work done. If you dont have title then you can import temporarily as per one's note in forum. If you need permanent import then you need title and for permanent import it takes days to weeks to get the things align for day of import. Refer the forum https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/exporting-a-vehicle-from-the-u-s-and-importing-into-canada-complete-step-by-step-guide.539649/
First you should plan for this one as this takes time.

Moving goods: Its up to you if you can drive the small U haul truck or asking some company to shift the things.

Apartment: Find the rental locations and enquire while being there including the monthly rate, terms and conditions etc.
If you need to find the aparment based on school zone then you should first find the school first and then find the apartment in that zone( i assume that admission is based on zone like in Windsor but you need to verify as i am not sure about toronto)
https://www.compareschoolrankings.org/ - school rankings site.

what else other item you have?
You actually answered many of my questions. I will make a plan for any other items. You are right that everyone have to go through their own list, I thought of taking tips from others experience ao no need to reinvent wheel. Hopefully this thread can give idea for future movers as well. Thanks again @harirajmohan

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
You actually answered many of my questions. I will make a plan for any other items. You are right that everyone have to go through their own list, I thought of taking tips from others experience ao no need to reinvent wheel. Hopefully this thread can give idea for future movers as well. Thanks again @harirajmohan
I agree. I did not ask our experts and i ended up not able to import the car on time and rented the car to commute. Yes, please ask questions to avoid delays/issues which can be avoided.

Reactions: venkat51286

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017
A couple of items to add. Others can correct if something is wrong here.

* Continue to use your U.S bank accounts (change address to another US address that you have association with, if needed) as it will be difficult to open US bank account once your residence is switched to Canada, if you needed it for any reason.

* If you travel freequently to the US, can opt for T-Mobile or At&T prepaid plans that claim to offer unlimited roaming in Canada
(There is a separate thread for mobile phones in this forum. Look it up)

There is a lady on YouTube with Channel name 'One Stop Watch'. She has put a very detailed video based on her recent car import experience. I found it very easy and helpful. The forum doesn't allow pasting youtube video it seems. Hence not pasting link here.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
@ustocanada49 reminded me of trading accounts: Dont close trading accounts as one cannot open share trading accounts after moving out(for non citizens).
There is no free trading accounts in Canada + this is of diversity in portfolio + having opportunity to invest in another stable big market

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
401 k, healthcare records,
Yes we should keep all investment accounts(all type of accounts that are of income generating).
Dont know what you meant by healthcare records.

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
Vaccinations or treatments that you or kids had while in states, I provided us vaccination records for my kids to family physician in canada

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi Venkat,

My situation is almost similar like you. We had a plan to move to Canada from US this year but due to Covid , we paused it for a while.
I wanted to know are they allowing with the goods for people to enter as the borders are temporarily closed.
I am also in search of houses there right now, please let me know if you know any websites to find other than kijiji.

Thanks in advance.

venkat51286

Aug 1, 2017
Hi Venkat,

My situation is almost similar like you. We had a plan to move to Canada from US this year but due to Covid , we paused it for a while.
I wanted to know are they allowing with the goods for people to enter as the borders are temporarily closed.
I am also in search of houses there right now, please let me know if you know any websites to find other than kijiji.

Thanks in advance.
please DM me, we can talk