+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada: I'm Canadian, husband holds US passport

cellomage

Jun 17, 2021
Hi!

My husband and I will be moving to Canada, and I was hoping to receive some advice. I read on the official immigration website that if an application for immigration is submitted once the person is already physically in Canada, that they are eligible to apply for and receive a work permit. Based on this, we thought that it may be more sensible to wait until we are in Canada to do the application. Since my husband is American, he can be in Canada for up to six months as a visitor, so am I correct in assuming that as long as he returns to the US at least once every six months, that he can remain in Canada legally while we await the paperwork? With the understanding that he cannot work until he has the work permit?

Is there any possibility of him having difficulties crossing the border with the above scenario? What kind of questions should we be prepared for?

We live in Texas, and the plan is that I will drive all of our belongings by myself, declare that I am a returning resident, quarantine, etc., while my husband is finishing up some projects in the US. I will then return to the US and we will drive up together with the remainder of our things.

Are there are any issues I am not foreseeing?

And another question on the subject of vehicles: the one car which we own is under my husband. I take it he cannot import it since he is technically note immigrating at this time. Is it best to transfer the title over to me so that I can import it when we cross? And if we were to have a second vehicle on which we owed payments, do I understand correctly that there would be no way to import it without paying it off in full first?

Thank you so much in advance for your help and input!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!

My husband and I will be moving to Canada, and I was hoping to receive some advice. I read on the official immigration website that if an application for immigration is submitted once the person is already physically in Canada, that they are eligible to apply for and receive a work permit. Based on this, we thought that it may be more sensible to wait until we are in Canada to do the application. Since my husband is American, he can be in Canada for up to six months as a visitor, so am I correct in assuming that as long as he returns to the US at least once every six months, that he can remain in Canada legally while we await the paperwork? With the understanding that he cannot work until he has the work permit?

Is there any possibility of him having difficulties crossing the border with the above scenario? What kind of questions should we be prepared for?

We live in Texas, and the plan is that I will drive all of our belongings by myself, declare that I am a returning resident, quarantine, etc., while my husband is finishing up some projects in the US. I will then return to the US and we will drive up together with the remainder of our things.

Are there are any issues I am not foreseeing?

And another question on the subject of vehicles: the one car which we own is under my husband. I take it he cannot import it since he is technically note immigrating at this time. Is it best to transfer the title over to me so that I can import it when we cross? And if we were to have a second vehicle on which we owed payments, do I understand correctly that there would be no way to import it without paying it off in full first?

Thank you so much in advance for your help and input!
Post your questions and join discussions in the Family Sponsorship section of the forum rather than here. You will get a lot more information in that section of the forum.