+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada, Car Insurance from USA

sravs448

Apr 28, 2016
Hi,
I am moving to Canada(Quebec) from USA(Boston) for a temporary period (8 to 10 months) and looking for car insurance in USA which covers my car in Canada also. I dont have intentions to change my US registratio,license etc. as its for a short term only.

My current car insurance is Geico and they said they can only cover for 1st 3 months. Are there any other insurance companies in USA which can cover my car in Canada as well for this short period?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
yay Boston! I lived there for 10 years!

no, generally most US insurance companies will only cover cars in canada for a short time (possibly up to 6 months) and if they find out the car is in canada long term, they will cancel the insurance. people in canada short term with a us registered car and us license will sometimes opt not to tell the insurance company about the car being in canada. I would recommend checking your insurance plan to make sure they will still cover issues in canada. When I was in canada as a visitor, I got into an accident and it was completely covered by my US insurance plan. I was also with Geico and they had "sister" insurers they used to help with the claim. I had no issues with my claim.

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
sravs448 said:
Hi,
I am moving to Canada(Quebec) from USA(Boston) for a temporary period (8 to 10 months) and looking for car insurance in USA which covers my car in Canada also. I dont have intentions to change my US registratio,license etc. as its for a short term only.

My current car insurance is Geico and they said they can only cover for 1st 3 months. Are there any other insurance companies in USA which can cover my car in Canada as well for this short period?
While I was researching a while back, I did find out that State Farm does have operations in Canada. I don't know if they can "seamlessly" transfer coverage from the US. It might be worth a shot, inquiring with them.

www.statefarm.ca