+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada before having a Canadian PR

undisclosed

Mar 2, 2020
Hi everyone,

Me and my partner (who has a Canadian citizenship but does not live in Canada), are looking to immigrate to Canada via the family sponsorship option.

We are aware that it may take up to a year for the process to be completed and that I obtain a PR card. We are considering moving to Canada prior to obtaining the PR card myself (via the tourist visa), which would give us some time for travelling within Canada, and for my partner to find a job.

My concern is whether this would be possible, would I be expected to still be living in my current country, as this is where the COPR will be sent?

Any help and information is greatly appreciated. :)

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Have you considered applying Inland? This is where you are living together in Canada while your PR application is processing for that 12 months or so. This way anything needed from IRCC (Biometrics, Medical tests, Interview, Landing appointment, etc.) would be completed withing Canada, close to your residence. However, you MUST stay in Canada for the duration of the application process. I've seen others on here that say that trips out of the country for up to 2 weeks are OK, but any longer and you may be considering abandoning your application from IRCC's perspective, and it's tossed out.

You and your partner would move to Canada--them as a resident, you as a visitor (of course visitor requirements/duration of stay/documents needed are different for every country). Upon settling, you'd submit your application packet, with your partner as a sponsor. You just need to keep your visitor status legal throughout the application process as it will mostly likely expired someone during those 12 months; this is most commonly done by applying for a Visitor Extension, or obtaining an Open Work Permit (OWP).

And both Inland or Outland applications require different proof of a genuine relationship whether you're in a legally married or common-law relationship. For common-law you must be able to prove that you've been living together for at least months (in any country, but 12 months continuously).

Hope this helps!

Reactions: undisclosed

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you already have a TRV? You can't move with your partner before you get PR but you can visit him until you get PR.

undisclosed

Mar 2, 2020
Have you considered applying Inland? This is where you are living together in Canada while your PR application is processing for that 12 months or so. This way anything needed from IRCC (Biometrics, Medical tests, Interview, Landing appointment, etc.) would be completed withing Canada, close to your residence. However, you MUST stay in Canada for the duration of the application process. I've seen others on here that say that trips out of the country for up to 2 weeks are OK, but any longer and you may be considering abandoning your application from IRCC's perspective, and it's tossed out.

You and your partner would move to Canada--them as a resident, you as a visitor (of course visitor requirements/duration of stay/documents needed are different for every country). Upon settling, you'd submit your application packet, with your partner as a sponsor. You just need to keep your visitor status legal throughout the application process as it will mostly likely expired someone during those 12 months; this is most commonly done by applying for a Visitor Extension, or obtaining an Open Work Permit (OWP).

And both Inland or Outland applications require different proof of a genuine relationship whether you're in a legally married or common-law relationship. For common-law you must be able to prove that you've been living together for at least months (in any country, but 12 months continuously).

Hope this helps!
Didn't consider the inland application. Thanks for the suggestion.

My main concern with this approach is the added complication of keeping my visitor status legal throughout the application process. Which is why we thought of moving to Canada after we would have submitted application and we're still living outside of Canada, but before PR is issued. In other words let's assume process takes 1 year.... We'd apply for PR while still outside of Canada. 6 months in the process we'd move to Canada. This would leave us with approx. another 6 months till PR is issued and is the period of time we can stay in Canada using a standard tourist visa. Like this, we wouldn't have to worry about extending our visa since we'd be covered by tourist visa while there without a PR.

Is this at all possible or are we missing something which would prolong or complicate things?

undisclosed

Mar 2, 2020
Do you already have a TRV? You can't move with your partner before you get PR but you can visit him until you get PR.

I do not have Temporary Resident Visa, but I should easily be able to obtain a tourist visa which should allow me up to 6 months in Canada. We would like to immigrate together, my partner as a Canadian citizen and myself as a tourist until I obtain the PR.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not have Temporary Resident Visa, but I should easily be able to obtain a tourist visa which should allow me up to 6 months in Canada. We would like to immigrate together, my partner as a Canadian citizen and myself as a tourist until I obtain the PR.
You sounds optimistic of getting a tourist visa, however, many spouses of Canadian citizen/PR had been refused in this forum.

undisclosed

Mar 2, 2020
You sounds optimistic of getting a tourist visa, however, many spouses of Canadian citizen/PR had been refused in this forum.
I meant via the ETA - If I understand correctly that should allow up to 180 days as a tourist. Or am I missing something?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As I previously noted you can’t appear that you are moving to Canada. If you showed up with all your belongings that would be certainly a red flag. If you pack like a visitor you are likely to be fine.

Reactions: armoured

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Didn't consider the inland application. Thanks for the suggestion.

My main concern with this approach is the added complication of keeping my visitor status legal throughout the application process. Which is why we thought of moving to Canada after we would have submitted application and we're still living outside of Canada, but before PR is issued. In other words let's assume process takes 1 year.... We'd apply for PR while still outside of Canada. 6 months in the process we'd move to Canada. This would leave us with approx. another 6 months till PR is issued and is the period of time we can stay in Canada using a standard tourist visa. Like this, we wouldn't have to worry about extending our visa since we'd be covered by tourist visa while there without a PR.

Is this at all possible or are we missing something which would prolong or complicate things?
In that case, then yes, I believe your original assumption about having to go back and forth to you home country to fulfill in-person requirements such as medicals, etc. would be correct.

But honestly it is very easy to apply for a Visitor's Extension once you're here and have a PR application in process with IRCC. I noticed a forum VIP member once advised someone else that it is very unlikely for a Visitor's Extension to be denied if you are waiting for a decision on a PR application (you mention the PR app., and any other outstanding applications in your name, on your Visitor's Extension app).