+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada after 2 yrs - Need help

rocky29oct

May 13, 2008
Hello all,

I am currently living in USA and moving to canada on PR status after 2 yrs. I landed in july 2006. My questions are:

1) I am taking my car with me. When i landed in 2006 this car was not on the list to follow items. Also there are some other items such as camcorder, camera, ipod etc. Will there be any problem at the border? Do i have to pay any import duties on these items. I bought this car from my brother and aksed him to put $500 as a selling amount. If I have to pay import duties then will it be on $500 or actual market price.

2) I am planning to visit my original country within couple months after i move to canada. will there be any problem when i come back?

Please if anyone know these answers then it wwould be a great help.

Thanks.

Rocky

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
I don't know about your car, but I have a similar situation. Purchased a car in the US after landing in Canada. It would seem to me like there should not be any taxes or duties owing as you were not a resident of Canada when you purchased your car. You may be able to claim it as the "goods of a returning resident," but if all you did in Canada in 2006 was land you may not have ever established residence in Canada at all to qualify for that exemption. Still, fairness would seem to dictate that you not pay taxes twice (in US when you bought it and in Canada when you import it) but I don't know.