+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to BC from QC healthcare

boatyyo

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
Hello,

I'm planning to move from QC to BC. I was thinking of going to BC for a few days to check out the housing situation and then move with family after 1-2 months. My question is, can i apply for the BC healthcare while visiting (i can provide a valid home address)? I would like to reduce the delay in getting healthcare coverage while moving hence just wanted to know what options I had to get the process rolling.

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I'm planning to move from QC to BC. I was thinking of going to BC for a few days to check out the housing situation and then move with family after 1-2 months. My question is, can i apply for the BC healthcare while visiting (i can provide a valid home address)? I would like to reduce the delay in getting healthcare coverage while moving hence just wanted to know what options I had to get the process rolling.

Thanks!
How long have you been living in Quebec? You will be able to use RAMQ while in BC, if you have been living in Quebec long enough, while waiting for MSP. To apply for MSP you will need to show that you are now a resident of BC and will need to show a lease/deed and copy of a utility bill, mail from your bank, etc. You May want to start the process of qualifying for MSP but the process is meant to start when people have actually relocated to BC.

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Hello,

Thanks!
If rules haven't changed, you will have to provide a letter explaining if and why you will leave for more than 30 days in the first 6 months before receiving health care benefits, they will decide if you qualify. But only if you make yourself a resident of BC with a primary home address which I don't think will make you one if you leave a day or 2 for so long after arriving here.