+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving stuff from US to Canada in a UHaul truck

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017
Hi All,

I had declared goods to follow at the time of soft landing but I had only declared big items like TV, laptop, jewelry, car etc. If we are moving our whole house worth of stuff, with several small things like say utensils, vaccuum cleaner, excerise bike, regular bike, dinining table set,(cheap one),TV set, crib etc that kind of individually in expensive small stuff., will CBSA bother checking these and asking me to pay duty on these also or check any other import requirements .

The thing is, when you are moving stuff from one place to othere, you will figure out that you have a lot of such small things that you did not think about while preparing the goods to follow sheet. Now as I am actually planning to move with all my stuff in a UHaul truck, I am trying to see if they will make me wait for a long time at the time of import and bother me to show receipts and pay duties on such small items also.

Anyone done moving here? Could you share your experience?

suemon

Apr 5, 2017
Hi All,

I had declared goods to follow at the time of soft landing but I had only declared big items like TV, laptop, jewelry, car etc. If we are moving our whole house worth of stuff, with several small things like say utensils, vaccuum cleaner, excerise bike, regular bike, dinining table set,(cheap one),TV set, crib etc that kind of individually in expensive small stuff., will CBSA bother checking these and asking me to pay duty on these also or check any other import requirements .

The thing is, when you are moving stuff from one place to othere, you will figure out that you have a lot of such small things that you did not think about while preparing the goods to follow sheet. Now as I am actually planning to move with all my stuff in a UHaul truck, I am trying to see if they will make me wait for a long time at the time of import and bother me to show receipts and pay duties on such small items also.

We moved using a Uhaul. They did not even take a look at the truck... Basically, they process your paperwork at the counter, and then you are done. However, on the safe side, make a detailed packing list and mark your boxes clearly. I did that and tried to show the packing list. The person did not look at it, but I think it helped.

Oh, also, I mistakenly thought Uhaul track should go through the truck lanes, and it turned out to be wrong. Truck lanes are for commercial trucks only. Just go to the regular lanes.

Best of luck and have a smooth trip!

Last edited:
Reactions: ustocanada49

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi All,

Hi,

We actually have planned to move Canada this year but due to Covid, we had to pause a while. If you are moving to Toronto, I wanted to know how were you able to find houses for rent and as i am following the news the borders have been closed for a while now and they might extend till July 23rd. Were you able to successfully cross the border, if yes, could you please update.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi,

We actually have planned to move Canada this year but due to Covid, we had to pause a while. If you are moving to Toronto, I wanted to know how were you able to find houses for rent and as i am following the news the borders have been closed for a while now and they might extend till July 23rd. Were you able to successfully cross the border, if yes, could you please update.
Moving/Landing with PR is not banned in Canada. You can move whenever you like. Call and confirm with cbsa and they will confirm on it.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/landing-in-canada-through-usa-during-covid-19.687893/page-3

You are PR hence you are fine.

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
We have just moved to Canada via air from US. Border restrictions do not apply to landed PRs. We did not had any issues at US or Toronto airport. We are currently in 5th day of mandatory self-isolation in Toronto.

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017
We moved using a Uhaul. They did not even take a look at the truck... Basically, they process your paperwork at the counter, and then you are done. However, on the safe side, make a detailed packing list and mark your boxes clearly. I did that and tried to show the packing list. The person did not look at it, but I think it helped.

Oh, also, I mistakenly thought Uhaul track should go through the truck lanes, and it turned out to be wrong. Truck lanes are for commercial trucks only. Just go to the regular lanes.

Thanks Suemon

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017
Hi,

Yes, You need to tell that officer that you will start looking for an apt after finishing your 14 day Quarantine and you have to be in a 14 day Quarantine.. They are pretty strict about that. Cops will come to the address you provided to check if you are there and Ontario Health dept will call you a few times to check if you have any symptoms or if you are staying in a place as expected. After 14 days, you are free to go see apts that still are doing personal showings. Most of those I checked online were sending videos and if you liked the video, they might schedule in person showing.

Here is what the officer told me. ' You have right to enter Canada........'. You are same as a citizen. You just cant vote. They can not turn away a PR holder just like how they can not turn away a citizen anytime

Last edited:

prsingh

Feb 22, 2019
Connecticut, US
Hi All,
i have a question regarding returning Uhaul after entering Canada. Someone told me that the CBSA officer told them that they have to go directly to the quarantine place and cannot go to return the UHAUL.
has anybody experienced the same issue?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Yes, You need to tell that officer that you will start looking for an apt after finishing your 14 day Quarantine and you have to be in a 14 day Quarantine.. They are pretty strict about that. Cops will come to the address you provided to check if you are there and Ontario Health dept will call you a few times to check if you have any symptoms or if you are staying in a place as expected. After 14 days, you are free to go see apts that still are doing personal showings. Most of those I checked online were sending videos and if you liked the video, they might schedule in person showing.

Here is what the officer told me. ' You have right to enter Canada........'. You are same as a citizen. You just cant vote. They can not turn away a PR holder just like how they can not turn away a citizen anytime
Thanks buddy. :)

san777das

Sep 30, 2022

Hello
Where was the paperwork done when you took the Uhaul through the border? Was that done then and there at the border or did you go to another destination?