+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving Soon and Got Offered a Contract Position

jlyang

Jul 13, 2018
Hi!

I'm a new immigrant via Express Entry and moving to Canada soon (in less than a month) so currently, I'm a non-resident but since it may change soon, I've already started preparing stuff to look for new employment like updating my profile in LinkedIn, etc. and I got an email from a company that's wishing to hire someone temporarily (3 months period) to cover for their employee who's taking a 3-month paternity leave. I'm interested in taking the position since I heard from my friend that it'll take around 3-4 months for me to find a new position once I get to Canada so this 3-month contract should be just perfect to support me while looking for a more permanent position. However, I am concerned about taxation and CPP/EI because I don't know anything about Canadian taxation and labor stuff yet so I'm hoping to get some guidance.

Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi!

I'm a new immigrant via Express Entry and moving to Canada soon (in less than a month) so currently, I'm a non-resident but since it may change soon, I've already started preparing stuff to look for new employment like updating my profile in LinkedIn, etc. and I got an email from a company that's wishing to hire someone temporarily (3 months period) to cover for their employee who's taking a 3-month paternity leave. I'm interested in taking the position since I heard from my friend that it'll take around 3-4 months for me to find a new position once I get to Canada so this 3-month contract should be just perfect to support me while looking for a more permanent position. However, I am concerned about taxation and CPP/EI because I don't know anything about Canadian taxation and labor stuff yet so I'm hoping to get some guidance.

Thank you!
What are your concerns? CPP deductions will be made. You won't qualify for EI once you leave the job.

jlyang

Jul 13, 2018
What are your concerns? CPP deductions will be made. You won't qualify for EI once you leave the job.
Hi! Thanks for the response. I just want to know, since I’m still currently not in Canada (confirmed flying in a few weeks!) and is just a short 3-month contract, if it would still be considered as regular employment? Non-resident? Contractor? And if it’s not considered regular employment, how would it complicate filing tax matters? Because if it’s going to cause a lot of hassle for me then I’d rather not take the job even if having the income would be nice. Or if there are some things or issues/complications that you can think of that I would need to consider before I agree to take the job since I’m super not familiar with Canada labor laws and stuff would also be a huge help.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi! Thanks for the response. I just want to know, since I’m still currently not in Canada (confirmed flying in a few weeks!) and is just a short 3-month contract, if it would still be considered as regular employment? Non-resident? Contractor? And if it’s not considered regular employment, how would it complicate filing tax matters? Because if it’s going to cause a lot of hassle for me then I’d rather not take the job even if having the income would be nice. Or if there are some things or issues/complications that you can think of that I would need to consider before I agree to take the job since I’m super not familiar with Canada labor laws and stuff would also be a huge help.
You are PR so it doesn’t matter. You will receive your T4s to complete your taxes. Take the job.

Reactions: canuck78

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi!

Thank you!
Why are you concerned about taxation , CPP/EI ? If you are planning on EVER working in Canada you’ll have to deal with it
It’s like death & taxes , you’ll deal with both .
Better late then never for the taxes part